“Great seafood on the sidewalk”
Review of Taberna Alkazar

Taberna Alkazar
Reserve with
Taberna Alkazar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #181 of 3,752 Restaurants in Valencia
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant in the city centre, opened since 1950. Our specialities are fresh fish and seafood, paellas and excellent wines.
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This restaurant is situated in a side street in Valencias pedestrian zone together with two others. They specialize in fresh seafood, and of course Valencias signature Paella dish. I had grilled turbot and it was absolutely excellent. In addition I tried their croquetas de bacalao which was superb. (As a Norwegian I have to try the dried codfish dishes abroad since they are seldomly served at home). The service was very attentive and when we dropped by early in the evening to reserve a table they even put our groceries in cold storage for us! They have an excellent wine list with Spanish wines including several several good wines from the Valencia district. I will come again!

1  Thank Ptm27

Reviewed June 21, 2013

If you are in Valencia's old town and want to dine in the evening at a fish restaurant, look for the narrow walking street Calle Mosén Fernades near the Placa l'Ajuntament. Here you have three choises, three fish restaurants next to each other. One is ridiculously expensive and after studying the menus posted outside the restaurants, I chose the less extravagant option Taberna Alkazar. I was not disappointed. I wanted the bluish baby clams called 'almejas' and got them with green olives, bread and another favorite of mine, deep fried eggplants, 'berenjenas fritas'. Just delicious. The Alkazar offers wine by the 'copa' so you do not have to order a bottle. My bill was EUR 40, not exactly cheap, but well worth it.

1  Thank niels-j
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Beautiful food, nice touches - complimentary pre starter and well cooked and tasty food. We were brought some little puddings to try too, along with a shot of some kind of whiskey based liqueur, which was a lovely touch too. Great to sit outside - every table outside was full by 9.30pm. Not cheap but certainly not expensive.

1  Thank Emma P
Reviewed May 30, 2013

yummy Paella Valenciana! The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was great. I would recommend to all seafood lovers too.

1  Thank sassyzee
Reviewed May 5, 2013

There is a reason you don't need reservations for Alkazar....They rip you off, it's overpriced, bad food, and they served us cold red wine. On top of serving us cold red wine, the paella was brown and we ordered the most expensive one. The service was nice, but I suppose if you are going to screw people, then you might as well smile.

The only reason it doesn't have a horrible rating is because the owner or his friends are padding the votes.

Bottom line avoid!