“Convenient but souless”

Hotel Fontana Plaza
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Torrevieja
Reviewed February 22, 2012

My husband and l recently visited Torrevieja and stayed at this hotel. It is very convenient and well refurbished. The staff were very friendly. The rooms are nicely decorated, however, l would suggest a few extras which would make a difference. For instance an extra mirror in the main bedroom area would be an advantage with the hairdryer located there as well. This would help the ladies with their makeup etc. A few pictures scattered around would not go astray, this would give the rooms a little bit of atmosphere. However, we would stay there again, as it is well priced .

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marysmgs

Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights and had a large room that had recently been renovated to a good standard. The bed was comfortable and the room and bathroom were very clean. There was a decent TV with 2 english language news channels. We were disappointed with the shower which was just an extension to the taps and was only barely adequate and a surprise given the standard of the other fittings. There were no chairs in the room and so nothing to tempt you to linger.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

The public areas were exceptionally sparse and minimalist to a fault. It wasn't to our liking and didn't encourage you to sit and relax. We didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food but the dining room looked similarly austere and wasn't particularly inviting.

Without doubt the best thing about the hotel was its location, bang in the centre of town and as we were out of season, wasn't noisy or difficult to access.

If you're looking for something that's done to a high standard (apart from the shower) and is very clean then this is it. Apart from that it has little to encourage the traveller to spend any time in the hotel.

The most disappointing thing was that the internet price was more expensive that the rate availabe to people just turning up and they wouldn't give us the cheaper price so we felt a bit ripped off.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JPCHickey
Reviewed May 12, 2008

just back from a girlie weekend in torrevieja, staying at the hotel fontana! great hotel, clean and tidy, very central, great value, breakfast very nice, drink measures very very good!!!!! staff very friendly and helpfull, strongly recommended.
the girls from bangor health centre, N.I.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank susanBangorCo_down
Reviewed January 16, 2008

For £20 it was cheaper than getting a taxi home on New Years Eve and only 200 metres from the best Restaurant in Torrevieja, Bahia.

Rooms were noisy - overlooking a one-way street and on the way home for the night-owlers - but we knew this when booking.

Bedroom was ok enough although a bt spartan. Typical Spanish hotel in that there were no carpets, rather tiles, which meant that every step someone made in the corridors could be heard through bedroom doors. Fortunately after a few bottles of wine at the above mentioned restaurant I slept like a log.

Bathroom was ok, plenty of hot water and enough towels. Even had shoe-shine kit, shampoo, needle and thread kit.

I'll stay again - next New Years Eve, but that will be all.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank springsteenisgod
Reviewed November 7, 2007

Stayed last weekend having booked and paid through internet 3 weeks previously for 2 rooms. Big debate with Svengali like receptionist whether they would acknowledge booking. Claimed I didn't have the right sort of voucher with a reference number, only email acknowledgement (with reference number) from internet booking agency, and refused to look at computer system to see if I was booked in. Downright obstructive. Eventually conceded it was genuine after some arguement and checking of computer following which complete change in personality - nothing too much trouble! If you've got a car definitely worth the €10 daily parking fee (plus 18% tax) to use the secure underground car park. However beware, this hotel is in the centre of town and the night time noise from the street is incredible if you've got a front facing room plus of course the hotel guests having to bang doors to get them to shut and the inevitable high heels on marble floors. Must be the noisiest hotel I've ever stayed in. Poolside might be quieter. Didn't use the bar. Breakfast plain but adequate. Usual Continental selection of meats cheese etc plus bacon, an egg variety, beans and sausage. 2 tiny lifts covering 7 floors, each holding max 4 people without luggage! Hope you're not claustrophbic as one didn't have any interior indication of movement between floors and both are dimly lit! Guests probably 70% Spanish and 30% Brits. Good location close to sea front. Cheap, but you get what you pay for. There are much better hotels in the vicinity if you don't mind being slightly out of town eg La Zenia. Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank earlyretired
Reviewed May 7, 2007

This was a short break booked at little cost so we were not expecting much. The best that can be said about the Hotel is that it is clean. I asked for a pool view, booking several months in advance. There are approximately 32 pool view rooms which the Hotel advised were all occupied upon our arrival. I found this strange as we saw hardly any other guests during our stay. Our rooms were at the front of the Hotel which renders sleep virtually impossible because of the constant flow of merry people passing during the early hours. The Hotel charge 10 euros a day to park your car, but we found plenty of spaces a short distance from the Hotel, though you may have to drive up and down a few streets. The Hotel also wanted 24 euros (9 for me and 15 for my partner!!!) to enter their own night club. Don't bother, there is plenty to do in the immediate area. I can highly recommend Casa Nicholas for those who cannot do without a Sunday Lunch when they are away. Also El Muelle, which is heavily advertised in the town centre - great steaks. It was fine for what is was, but I will not be going back to this Hotel as I like my sleep.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank pula888
Reviewed January 29, 2007

My family and I had forgotten our keys to an apartment and had to stay in this hotel overnight until the other set arrived. I explained to the girl on reception that I needed a room that was suitable for 2 adults and 2 children. They put us into a room that was suitable for 3 people. The room was very basic on the third floor and no help was given even though we were with three suit-cases and a child's buggy.

The TV may have had 35 channels but only one was in English (CNN Europe). They had a Pub on-site but was not open, even to residents!!

We later asked if breakfast was included into the price but was told no. The price they were asking was 11E but even at that there is better value places to eat breakfast close by (The Bell for one).

The next morning I explained that I was waiting for a parcel from home being delivered by DHL and could they sign for it if I went out for breakfast. Rudely said under no circumstances that they would not do so and had to fight to get them to ring me and I would come down and sign for it myself. I stayed in the hotel room till check-out time (12 noon) an went to wait down in reception with our baggage as they would not look after it for me but luckily the parcel was delivered at about 12.15.

Overall, bitterly disappointed with my stay in the Hotel Fontana. Staff not overly nice, prices for everything not cheap and could do better in many areas.

Would not stay again unless in dire need...

Stayed: January 2007