“Yum!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Toro

El Toro
Ranked #24 of 330 Restaurants in Calpe
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Yum!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We went twice at the end of August during our weeks stay in Calpe. I had a steak the first time and was slightly disappointed because it was too well done for me - but the time after I switched to the pork kebab with satay sauce. It was absolutely amazing! I was not allowed to have a smaller portion of the goats cheese salad on the side instead of the potato etc, which I felt was a bit bad - but we ordered the salad anyway and it is defintiely worth trying. The first night we went it was my birthday and they were very nice and brought me out a dessert with a sparkler in! We went with two children (both under 2) and they were given crayons etc. to play with as well. Brilliant for large groups as there were 15 of us and everyone left happy.

All in all it is in my opinion the best restaurant around the area, however, it is not in the centre of town, so you'd have to walk about 20 minutes out to get to it.

• Visited August 2012

• Polish first
st fraimbault france
“Disappointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The place reamlly does look fabulous and the setting is great, friendly greeting and great table. OK now for the disapointment....I was not keen on the fact that as we ordered a small bowl of olives to eat with our cocktails we were given the bread and aiioli and salsa which is great but we were charged for it. Or my husband ordering a meal and being given one completely differant and waiting 30 mins for his to arrive while my steak sat in the cold. Told the manager i fancied a nice stak and a salad. He said the stak came with potato and veg and the potato could not be swopped for a bit of salad even though i was paying 29.95 euros for 5 slices of what i thought was a medioca beef. Wine was good but saw later we had been reccommended the most expensive. 120 euros..... its not the amount i have a problem with if i have a great meal, buit was our last evening and we felt really disappointed.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mandafell
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great decor and delicious food, a good steakhouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Whilst visiting my dad in Spain this restaurant was recommended by his friend who had already been twice since the opening. We booked for Sunday lunch and were the first to arrive so we had none of the service issues other people have mentioned. Our service was prompt, polite and efficient.

The decor is great, plenty of outdoor seating amidst a lovely garden with a small waterfall and fish pond. It didn't feel like you were on a Main Street at all. We sat inside but it felt as if we were outside as the sides of the restaurant have glass screens that are retracted. There was Spanish music in the back ground and as it started to fill up the atmosphere was congenial.

Now, to the food! I would say you don't need a starter unless you're very hungry! Toasted bread is bought out with 3 dips which is more than enough to munch on whilst waiting for your mains. I had the surf and turf and my companions had the Angus steak. We all agreed the steak was lovely & cooked as requested. My surf n turf was beautifully presented in a pan with the langoustines, which were partly peeled which made them easier and less messy to eat. Accompanying the meals you get a jacket potato (cooked to perfection and very buttery), grilled veg and fruit (melon, grapes and pineapple). We were also given a large bowl of seasoned chips between us (very more-Ish!).

We tried the churroz desserts which were a little like doughnuts with icecream and 2 of our party had the coffees. Overall the bill came to less than €90 for 4 of us, perfect for a good Sunday lunch. I would definitely go again.

2 Thank Lisa R
reigate,surrey
“Dont Have lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

The food is cooked over a fire pit,my wife had the prime rib,and was cooked to perfection,i had the mixed grill,all meals come with 3 pieces of melon on the plate,a jacket potato and mixed grill veg,plus a bowl of chips,we ordered a childrens meal for our child(great value for money)7.50e they get a little bow with loads of sweets init,as well as the main meal.the meals are massive,great quality of meat,the one negative i have was people very friendly with the chef being given priority over those poeple that had booked a table,they blamed the weather for this reason as it was raining and couldnt sit people outside.
I would still go back and hope the food and service are the same,i just hope im not 1 of the people pushed to 1 side so the chef can seat his friends.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank quin872
calpe
“el toro revisited”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

like most people we were impressed with the new restaurants surroundings and excellent steaks, so when my sister and husband arrived here we had to take them to el toro.
what a shock, very busy now, steaks were poor quality and very under cooked. service slow, in the end we paid for our drinks which are over priced and went elsewhere no apoligies given. we will not be back.

• Visited September 2012