“What a difference a year makes!”
Review of Lauras at Westbeach - CLOSED

Lauras at Westbeach
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Used lauras many times last year and was faultless, great food and good service. Went for breakfast on 24/9 with freinds that we had recomended should try it. It was appauling! Fried eggs were all hard, toast was just warm bread, small spoonfull of barely warm beans, one rather soggy hash brown and-wait for it! - ONE fried button mushroom! All served up on cold plate! At 4.50 a time we could have got better in any of the local cafes. We certainly won't be visiting again and suggest you should look elsewhere.

3  Thank HardingsofWeston
Jimgoodrich, Owner at Lauras at Westbeach, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

HI, thanks for your review. I am saddened to hear about your experience in our downstairs cafe on Monday. Although not an excuse, it was our day off and we had a new temporary cook in. What you describe is unacceptable. It is not our practice to serve up food as you describe it. We take great pride in the food that leaves the kitchen, whether it be from the cafe or the restaurant and apologise that you did not receive our usual high standards. I would like to offer you and the people you brought in for breakfast to return and have a meal on us, either downstairs in the cafe or in our upstairs restaurant. We would love the opportunity to change your opinion of us and repair the damage done

Jim Goodrich
Chef Patron, Laura's

Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Food was average, we could hear the beep of the microwave in the background on a regular occurrence. If your wanting a meal that says what it is then this is it for you... We had the steak chicken and ribs all you can eat menu 3 vodkas & 2 lemonade one large beer one gin and tonic 43.60€

2  Thank Mandy W
Jimgoodrich, Owner at Lauras at Westbeach, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, however disappointing it is to read. You mentioned that you heard a microwave being used constantly. The sound you refer to is made from our electric flat toaster that we use for bruschetta and toast. Its 'beeps' as you start it, and it 'beeps' when it's done. We ere very busy with our goat's cheese, caramelised onion and serrano starter, so that is the sound you would have heard. We hardly ever use our 1 microwave, and we certainly wouldn't cook steak, chicken or ribs with it! I find it a little confusing that you haven't mentioned if you enjoyed the food or not? You title your review ' does what it says' and you chose this option, but were obviously not satisfied........ it's a bit of a contradiction... We will however, take your points on board and attempt to address them, although you haven't actually complained about anything, so its hard to know where to start....

Reviewed September 7, 2012

The service and friendliness was excellent, but sadly the food was lacking. Fish and chip night was recommended to us, but I was left hugely disappointed. The batter on the fish was quite heavy and greasy, and the fish lacked flavour. I had potatoes instaed of chips, and they came to me swimming in margarine, which I found most off putting and could not eat them. However, the mushy peas were tasty. For 8 euro, it was okay, but not to be recommended.

Hi, thanks for your review. A little deflated though. You say that your fish lacked flavour. We have our cod delivered fresh on the morning from the fish market in Valencia. If you look through our reviews, you will see that a vast proportion of them are about our fish and chips and are very complimentary. Our batter is light and crispy, (we use the exact recipe every week). We do not keep margerine in the restaurant as we do not use it. However, we do place a 'knob' of butter on our new potatoes, as it adds a little 'flavour', (something that was lacking in your fish'). It would certainly not be 'swimming' in margerine. If there was a little too much butter on your spuds, perhaps you could have mentioned it to your waitress, and we could have addressed the problem, rather than writing a not so nice review on here.... Just a thought.... As for your comment 'okay for the money', we think that Fresh cod served with homemade tartar sauce, chips or new potatoes, a choice of peas AND A DRINK, is a little better than 'ok'. In fact we think its far too cheap........

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have just returned from my second holiday to Calpe and had Laura's on my list as one of the places to eat on this family holiday. As Laura's has a presence on facebook I decided to contact them via facebook and make a reservation for my family online, very easy and Jim was very accomodating sorting this out through the realms of ye olde internet.

On the night we visited there was an all you can eat chicken, ribs and steak offer as well as a lovely looking 3 course set meal option. I'll be honest and say that I tend to stay safe on my hols and lean towards meat options when dining out so predictably went for the meat combo on this visit.

Everything was explained to us by a very helpful member of the waiting staff who also went into detail what was available for our 2 children. My son is partial to a bit of steak and ribs so was pleased to find out he could also participate in the ribs/chicken and steak combo. Prior to this we were invited to help ourselves to the salad bar which was full of the usual fresh salad and some grilled vegetables. Forgot to mention I did pollish of a lovely bowl of mushroom soup to start with which my mrs did regret getting for herself !! I also managed to get the last lot of roasted red peppers which nicely char grilled and sweet, very nice.

The main was served on a nice slate style platter and was filled with seared steak, chicken breast and ribs. My son did go to work on the ribs so I didn't get as many as I would have liked although the young lady who looked after our table did ask if I would like any more. However by this time I had hit the preverbial meat brick wall !

In the 10 day's we spent in Calpe Lauras is certainly up at the top for great friendly service and good food. And from my experience of some other places in Calpe who claim to be the best at what they do most of them do not come anywhere near to Lauras, we felt looked after from arriving until leaving. My only regret is not trying something from the other menu options on another evening which from what I could tell was unlike anything else on offer in other places the area.

Laura's also does light snacks during the day and being a brit I did succumb to the pull of a full english on one of my visits, and it was very nice !!

A great place to go with the family for a special evening, we will certainly be back.

2  Thank SirBobby77
Reviewed September 2, 2012

have been to laura's on a regular basis but the all you can eat menu is fantastic home cooked food the home made soup is great the salad bar fresh the ribs are to die for the desserts are fantastic. every time we have been the service has been friendly and you are made to feel welcome well done jim and laura and lauras mum and dad and all the staff

2  Thank lindah-benissa