Stayed for three nights in May 2014. A dozen of us on break to play golf and enjoy the delights of Benidorm nightlife! I cannot really comment upon the golf as I only played a few holes and never played the main course but be warned that the 2 courses are not 2 championship courses but one short course par 62 and a Championship Course. You have to have a buggy for the short course as there are enormous distances from green to the next tee and it is very hilly. I can comment on the hotel however!
The hotel is divided between 4 star and 5 star. The 5 star section is the Level which I did not stay in I stayed on the 4 star part. The hotel is superficially very impressive but if you peer through the veneer there are quite a few things which you think could easily be sorted out such as replacing spent lightbulbs, remove or treat scum/algae in the furthest/forgotten reaches of the enormous pool, repair the threshold in reception which needs gluing/fixing and things like that.
Breakfast was terrible. On my last day I just ensured that I did not eat anything that got anywhere near a chef and stuck to fruit and yoghurt as the previous experience of sweet scrambled egg, fatty bacon and weird sausages wasn't worth repeating. Otherwise the only food I had was at the pool bar which was a burger from the outdoor grill which was sooo salty I could feel my blood pressure rising with each bite. Also they have cauliflower and broccoli as a choice for breakfast - huh? - am I missing something but who eats that sort of stuff at breakfast and washes it down with red wine at breakfast (there are a couple of bottles of red wine cracked open if you don't fancy orange juice with your breakfast - I suppose it IS Benidorm).
The service was really bad for a hotel of this standing - the staff never seemed to know what they were doing and were incredibly inattentive eg stopping serving you mid service and serving someone else. They were all pretty miserable too.
To top it all however was the lack of any urgency from the hotel reception to my request for a doctor/ambulance when my room mate thought he was having a heart attack. I rang reception and requested a doctor or ambulance explaining in my best Spanish ie English that he thought he was having a heart attack! It took over half an hour for the ambulance to turn up and another 15 minutes to get to the hospital. Good news was that my friend was ok but had it been a genuine emergency which we thought it was there could have been a deadly serious outcome. Why haven't they got something in place for the safety of their patrons? In retrospect I think this is appallingly bad and have taken one star off my rating because of this.
I would go back to this hotel though as the pool area is very pleasant indeed, the rooms are comfortable with a fridge and great shower. In addition the hotel is away from the main drag of Benidorm so it is nice and quiet but not too far (about 12 euros taxi ride) to get in and out of Benidorm. As a sceptical first visitor I found Benidorm to be really entertaining and as far as the Old Town goes surprisingly (to me at least), a taste of real Spain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated 20 minutes from Alicante, Melia Villaitana has two hotels Melia Villaitana 4* y The Level at Melia Villaitana 5*. Melia Villaitana has been designed in the form of a Mediterranean village, lying between 2 golf courses designed by Nicklaus Design and boasting some wonderful views of the Gran Bahia of the Costa Blanca. Its 25 individual buildings and its unique architectural style replicate picturesque squares and historic corners of the region, making the hotel an innovative experience for both leisure and business, and positioning it as a new concept of exclusivity, comfort and service on the Costa Blanca.Accommodation: The hotel has 455 spacious double rooms, including 99 rooms of The Level (5 star) category.Services: The hotel has 2 golf courses, 5,000 m2 of outdoor pools, as well as a wide range of cuisine, 2 tennis and 6 paddle courts, an outdoor childrens play area, a kids club, artificial beach and a complete Spa & Wellness Center with 13 treatment rooms, thermal pools, gym and relaxation room. A Convention Centre with 6,000 m2 of flexible space, divided into 17 meeting rooms to meet every requirement in relation to conferences and large events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Prestigia and Orbitz so you can book your Melia Villaitana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villaitana Wellness Golf & Business Sun Hotel Benidorm
- Villaitana Wellness Golf And Business Sun Resort
- Villaitana Wellness Hotel Business Sun
- Villaitana Wellness Resort Business Sun
- Sheraton Benidorm