“Great holiday”

Ranked #44 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
England, Arkansas
“Great holiday”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Recently spent a week in this hotel with my husband.
Located 5 mins walk from sea front in quite part of old town,
10/15 mins walk to new part
Wine/water free with all meals when on full board
(Thomson) I would definitely stay again

Room Tip: we had a room on the second floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank glenys p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Glasgow
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Recently spent three nights in this hotel with my husband. We are in our mid fifties, but young minded. We were easily the youngest guests by about 20 years. The hotel was packed full of geriatric Spaniards, and the entertainment, food etc was all tailored to suit them. The room had no visible socket for out laptop, phones and i pad, however we discovered ONE hidden behind the dressing table. Electronics were charged in strict order. The room was very small but perfectly clean. The food was all buffet style, and there was always plenty to eat and it tasted o.k.. The reception staff were a bit unfriendly, but the bar staff were great. The bedroom walls are paper thin, we could hear the people next door talking quite clearly. Overall a very average hotel, however the break was cheap enough, and we were only staying three nights. Only go if you are over 70 though!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annshand
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

WORTH IT OR NOT? I read many reviews on this hotel and decided that given the price of the destination, the fact that I went with a reputable company (Thomson) and it met most of my general needs that it was most definitely worth the gamble. I would definitely stay again under similar circumstances.

COST: My holiday: Time of travel - Easter holidays - 7 days - full board - Solo traveller - Thomson (online booking) £385 two weeks prior to departure.This was an great deal after speaking to other guests who paid up to £200 more possibly due to the fact that it is within the school holidays.

SUITABILITY: Please firstly note that I am 34, British, cannot speak Spanish yet thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Benilux and would return... however, it should be noted that this hotel is well suited to older Spanish guests and is run by Spanish staff who speak little English. Staff, however were generally very friendly and willing to help in any given situation understanding in many cases a little broken English. Not so suited to those who wish for the crazy UK nightlife unless you enjoy a walk to Levante (approx 25-40 min walk along the beach and through old town)

RATING (3 stars): Gauged on my whole experience, I wholly agree that this is a strong 3* hotel.

FOOD: Breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet style. Lunch and dinner: Fairly good variety of (mainly Spanish orientated) hot and cold foods available daily ranging from Paella, Fish in sauce, pork in gravy, chicken drumsticks, ham and cheese croquettes, salad, fruit, jelly, ice cream and much much more which changed each day. All meals I found to be full in flavour and filling.

DRINK: At every lunch and dinner a free bottle of red wine and a bottle of water was available for consumption. This was not served for breakfast but tea, coffee and some not so appetising pineapple or orange flavoured drink was available as well as water.

LOCATION: (Less than) 5 minutes amble to Pontiente beach (extensive golden sands - beautiful!!!) In a quieter and slightly less commercial part of Benidorm. Supermarket 1 minute walk (out of hotel turn left) cash point directly across the road and run of shops on the way to the beach offering lots of souvenirs, clothing, jewellery and watches etc.

ENTERTAINMENT: This for me is the only real area that lets this hotel down as a 3 star. If I were older, Spanish and enjoyed a light dance each evening this would have been perfect but otherwise I found it on the whole dull and I was certainly not entertained in the hotel itself except by the view from my balcony and entertained a little by the one off smaller troupe (family of four?!) Spanish dancers and plate spinner - you getting the picture here! Music on evenings was mainly slow spanish classics with the misplaced okey kokey and Gangnam style (to which nobody danced lol)

WIFI: This is free within the bar area and has a few mains sockets for charging is required. Access to internet is available with telebanco from your room at a charge of 5 euros for 24 hours or 10 euros for 3 days - paypal or card. Don't ask reception, just attempt to connect in your room for this to work.

TV and AIR CON: is available at a cost (i think this was 10 euros but can't exactly recall as I didn't use either)

ROOM: Every room overlooks the pool and has a balcony. The higher rooms are better as you can also see the sea in the distance. 8 floors in total. I was in room 816 (a corner room right by the lifts) Basic but pretty well maintained (3/5 for cleanliness - e.g. sand was not swept off the floor from the first day of beach activities, towels were cleaned daily, room was not spotless but certainly cleaned each day and to an 'acceptable' level) . Strange angles for radiators in room. Bday, bath and toilet in bathroom. Double bed in 816 some others had twin beds. large wardrobe and safe (10 euros for a week I think)

THOMSON REP: Brenda - has been working here and other local hotels for years so knows the ropes! Down to earth, helpful, informative and comical! Not pushy on buying excursions but will recommend those most suitable if you wish to make your holiday a little more vibrant.

THINGS TO DO:
* Local shops and beach in close proximity,
* Benidorm Palace: Excellent evening of entertainment but not for children - Acts involved and Costumes worn were beautiful and of excellent quality but if you don't feel comfortable with ladies dancing in little more than a thong and stockings (for part of the show) then you probably should think twice before attending. I enjoyed the show but I was travelling solo and not with my husband or children!!! lol
* Gay Quarter - situated in the old town between pontiente beach and levante
* British and American based pubs nightlife - over the Levante side
* Costa Blanca Secrets - Into the mountains on a guided tour, swim under small (yet powerful) waterfall, see real Spain (beautifull)
* Terra Natura - safari meets zoo - up close and personal with the animals - worth a visit separated into three areas (Asia/Europe/America) pus a waterpark (open later in the year I think)
* Terra Matica (I did not visit here but it's a theme park)
* visit hotel Pelicanos - where the TV series 'Benidorm' is shot
* Sunday or Wed Market - catch the number 2 bus outside this hotel (1euro 40)

WEATHER: Mainly sunny but Easter time is apparently the most risky time to go - we had light drizzle for ten minutes on day, one night rained heavily for a hour or so the rest was light breeze at 20 degrees. If you're not sure of numbers, I got a slight tan but it wasn't so hot to get burned unless you overexposed yourself!

BE AWARE!
You may be warned of pickpocketing esp if you have a rucksack when going out. Only take what is necessary and keep a close eye - although I had no issues here there has been a spate of it recently even in some hotels (mainly Levante area). You may see a man and a monkey or three pots and small ball under each pot for gullible tourists to lose their belongings to. Don't fall for their ways, the monkey grabs things from your pockets and others from your pockets as you are watching the monkey jumping over others for entertainment!!! I did not see any of these but was prewarned by our rep.

OVERALL: Enjoyable holiday, Relatively quiet area within easy reach of other entertainment. I hope this has helped.

Room Tip: High rooms for sea view - sun in the morning from 816-832 (same for other floors 16-32)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
19 Thank EmDMadhatter78
Derby
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Just had the last week in March at this hotel. Located 5 mins walk from sea front in quite part of old town,10/15 mins walk to new part. Was impressed with cleanliness, pleasant atmosphere, good choice of food. Wine/water free with all meals when on full board . Would visit again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny B
loopylola
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Nice clean hotel, myself my husband and four other friends went for a long weekend over easter, the hotel was just outside the old town, only a couple of minutes walk from the harbour.We stayed on a bed/breakfast basis, food was good, plenty of variety, our only gripe, was the Spanish male receptionist, who couldn't understand that we'd booked 4 rooms, for six people, he assumed wrongly that we were all couples, and three rooms would be adequate, even though we'd paid for four!! All in all it was a nice relaxing break, Benidorm was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank loopylola
Ripon
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Lovely clean hotel in the Old Town of Benidorm. 5 minute walk down a slight hill to the beach, 10 minutes into the Old Town. Rooms basic, fairly small but clean. beds rather hard! We had a 5th floor room overlooking pool area which looked lovely but we didnt use as it wasnt quite warm enough in March/April! Staff very friendly and food plentiful! Would def/ stay again but not the hotel for you if you want the New Town...............too far. Old Town tapas bars are wonderful; beer or wine and a tapas still only 1E!

Room Tip: Dont get 1st floor because it is level with a roof so no view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Emcart99
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Staff very unhelpful when questioned about nearest carpark they said it's out there after driving around twice we returned to be told they had a private garage opposite that was 12 euro a day with 10 euro deposit (22 in total!). We then checked in to find if we wanted tv or air con we had to pay a further 10 euros for each!!! The room was really small and the bathroom was dirty we only stayed one night so we refrained from using the shower/bath. The beds were really uncomfortable aswell might aswell of slept on the tiled floor! The rooms were ancient reminded me of the old butlins huts! My fiance asked a rep downstairs what the food was like as we had bed and breakfast and she said i wouldnt bother getting up for it!

Room Tip: Go Somewere Else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple