“Nice Hotel, Had A Decent Stay”

Magic Aqua Rock Gardens
Ranked #49 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
Reviewed June 18, 2013

so me and my fellow work colleagues go away every year for a long weekend, in this case it was to be Benidorm. We had booked a package deal with travel republic at the start of the year and had originally booked a 4 star hotel on the beach. Travel republic emailed us a few days before our holiday to say that the hotel we were supposed to be staying at was overbooked and we had to stay at this one instead. So alarm bells rang and we were not happy at all, especially from some of the reviews on here regarding the hotel. We spoke to Travel Republic a few times to complain about this, and in the end we compromised as they offered up upgraded rooms in this hotel so we ended up reluctantly accepting their upgrade.

So we arrive at the hotel and first impressions were good, looked very clean, its a very big hotel, and they do well to maintain it to an excellent standard. Can I just comment now on this "Cardiac Hill" some reviewers have spoke about. This is total nonsense, it's a small hill and you have to be seriously unfit or have mobility issues to struggle with this hill, when we first read the reviews about "Cardiac Hill" we were disheartened before we even arrived, well look it is not steep at all and take 2 minutes to walk up. Seriously people get a grip!!

Anyways, Room was nice, if not a little cramped, I could imagine what the non upgraded rooms were like as ours were pretty small, and the double beds were pushed up next to each other, and you couldn't separate them so your basically sleeping with your room mate in a huge bed instead of two double beds. Room was clean, air con unit a bit out dated, bathroom quite small but clean so no complaints there.

Food is fine for a week, but they make the same things and lots of it is processed food, you would be bored of it after a week, but it was above average.

the hotel is mixed with both younger groups (stag, hen parties) and families. there are security guards at the front and make sure big groups behave themselves, but with large groups and free alcohol it is always going to be a bit rowdy. I would come to this hotel as a couple but not with kids as I found it too be an adult hotel and not a family hotel.

All round not a bad hotel especially for the price, if your a group looking to go to Benidorm then this hotel is fine and right next to all the bars and clubs.

1  Thank benaichar
DirectorGardens, Director General at Magic Aqua Rock Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Benaichar,

We thank from the heart for putting your confidence in us when choosing us for your holiday and for taking the time to write your review. We‘re pleased you enjoyed stay with us, we welcome all customer feedback in our continuous efforts to improve our service to our guests and value all the opinions received to help us achieve this goal.

We look forward to seeing you again,
Regards,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed here the bank holiday week at the end of may and I did think it would be full of stag and hen parties but it wasn't. there was a lot of Spanish families at the weekend who I must say shocked me the most, that their children are very rude and the parents did not seem to have control of them.
Alex on reception was fantastic to us couldn't fault him we travelled with our 1 year old boy when we got into our room there was no cot in there but there was a sofa bed made up, we went to see Alex and within 15 mins the cot was in the room and made up. We spoke to Alex a few times and found him helpful every time.
The hotel itself as my partner described it to me as 'its like we are in the crystal maze' and it was! one lift doesn't go to reception and one lift doesn't go to the top floor but once you get your head around the hotel lay out its fine. We had an upgraded room to a master superior suite as we should have been going to another hotel and we had a separate living room area which was great plenty of room for clothes and a fridge, air con all good although I didn't think about to check there would be a balcony unfortunately there isn't. and there was a funny smell in the bathrooms.
Food was ok ish I wouldn't have wanted to eat dinner there every night in fact we only ate dinner (tea) there one night and it was a like feeding time a the zoo breakfast seems much better. Although we found the restaurant staff really nice and they all fussed over our little boy.
The pools are fine but the pool is over looked by other hotels so it is quite cold, all in all we went to Benidorm for a cheap and cheerful holiday and that is what we got.
And the hill isn't that bad at all but there is a longer way to walk but it isn't as steep but I wouldn't let the hill put you off going to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank julie D
Reviewed June 17, 2013

On arrival we could smell stale alcohol from bar area. Reception staff (2 in particular) we very ignorant and didn't want to entertain us. The 2 managers however went out there way to help us then reception staff sucked up to us.

we had to eat out every night as i would not feed my dog this stuff. (hot dogs swimming in grease!!!) All inclusive???? 1 silver card or upgrade to gold card???? i thought thats what we paid for at start.

The hotel was full of stag/hens with 10th floor being flooded, 2 police cars at front of hotel. all stags lounging around baby pool really made me feel intimidated and would not let my 10yr old or baby down to pool. Kids disco is repeated every night with the guy dancer thinking he is the next louis spence ffs. Even hens were coming into kids disco for drinks. although managers alexandra and carlos helped us i will defo not be back here as i felt cheated. the only best thing about my holiday was going to Mundo Mar and seeing the cast of Benidorm.

This hotel really needs to take a step back and decide which type of people they would like to have stay in there hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank siobhan01
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I've just returned from the Magic Rock Garden hotel and can happily report that it was a great find. Perfect location (anyone who feels the minor bump sometimes referred to as 'cardiac hill' is steep must be either well above the admittedly lofty average age found in Benidorm - particularly Café Benidorm, or they have clearly been dodging the salad in the extremely well stocked all inclusive restaurant - in all fairness it did look like quite a few residents had..)

The roof terrace/bar was a great surprise. If it's good enough for Sophie, it's good enough for me.

I never did clarify what the strange monkey noises and what sounded like a baby in pain echoing across the 11th floor on Saturday night were though.

4  Thank JonnyWeston713

Dear Jonnyweston713,

We look forward to seeing you again,
Regards,

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just back from a thoroughly disappointing stay at this hotel. Poor value for money.

The hotel manageress did nothing to appease the fact a leak ruined my iPad, smashed glass in the corridor cut my ankle and my bag of clothes was soaked.

In fact she was completely and utterly rude and disrespectful and was most concerned about covering their liability from their insurance point of view.

The food is terrible, service is slow and the attitude of the staff in general is poor.

Checked out after two nights and went to stay in the Ambassador - much better!

Room Tip: Choose a floor without a faulty sprinkler system to avoid getting soaked!
1  Thank Jack L
Reviewed June 16, 2013

There were three of us in our party, my husband, me and a 14 year old girl. Thomas Cook had promised us that our teen would love it. But when we explored the hotel we found that this was not the case. The pool was very small, and wasn't really deep enough for a proper swim, it was more of a kids pool, i am aware that there were kids at the hotel, so there should've been a children's pool, but there should at least be adult leisure, as there has been in all my previous travels. We were told that this was an 'aquapark'; there only seemed to be two 'decent' flumes, and they were barely ever open. There were two massive skyscrapers blocking the sun from reaching the sunbeds, so we usually went down the beach area (a 2-5 minute walk) where we had to pay 16 euros a time for 3 sunbeds. The only thing I did like about the place was the food and room (maid service), however food tended to be the same stuff all the time, we lived on chips and salad for most of the week; there were 3 meals a day, plus a food bar in between meals. The rooms were cleaned once or twice a day, however the maids come at about 11am-ish which means that you should be out by then, (doesn't help when you have a lazy teen.) Rooms had a tv, some channels had the option to watch in english, programmes included disney channel, how i met your mother & big bang theory, and also movie channels, which is better than most hotel tvs that i have ever had, room didnt have balcony, and at night i couldnt look out my window unless i wanted to be blinded by the unecessary floodlights facing my room. There were 12 floors all together (i think), we stayed on the second floor, so it wasnt too much hassle, especially when the lifts were taking forever (as they often did) as we could just walk up the stairs. Most of the staff were nice and spoke english however, when we went to ask a staff member about entertainment for the adults, he continued to text on his phone, before we asked again, also, when my daughter asked the bar staff for a drink, he told her to go and served the next person, (not sure why?) We were told that we could go to other magic hotel chains, and after inspecting the first one, (which was worse) we decided to stop. There were 3 stag/hen nights during our stay, they were quite loud at times, but eventually died down as it came close to night time. We know that benidorm is very commercialized, which may be why there was only kids entertainment, but we would expect something at least. Conclusion: if you're only a couple, or have older kids, i wouldn't recommend.

Room Tip: lower floors sometimes are noisy if childrens entertainment is still going on/hen and stag nights ar...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Carol H
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have just returned with 2 friends, the hotel is lovely the rooms are clean, I did miss having a balcony to sit on, plus only 1 mirror and when 3 adults are trying to get ready it's a case of taking turns, plus no tea making facilities which we did miss.
The food was very good and the restaurants clean and plentiful.
We was very disappointed with the entertainment, to be honest there was none, which meant we had to go out of the hotel in the evening, I do feel more effort could be made with this as its a 4 star hotel other hotels have different acts on and music, the only act was in jeffs bar which consisted of jeff doing a turn himself, or a resident singer, which with no disrespect to her, was more for the elderly.
Lovely hotel but in need of an update to accomadate 4 star standards.

1  Thank fletcherditribution
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benidorm
Magic Cristal Park Hotel
Sol Pelicanos Ocas by Melia
Magic Robin Hood
Magic Robin Hood
#2 of 15 in L'Alfas del Pi

Been to Magic Aqua Rock Gardens? Share your experiences!