“Great Holiday”

Ranked #11 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
Alloa, United Kingdom
“Great Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have just returned home from a week’s holiday in the Princesa with my wife and 21 month old son and can say we had a great time. If you are looking for a quiet couple’s holiday this may not be the hotel for you but if you have children then the facilities are great.
We arrived early and the staff at the front desk allowed us into our room before 12 o’clock which was great! The room was perfect for our needs, beds comfortable, safe for a charge of 2 Euros per day, mini bar (which meant we had a fridge), wonderful air conditioning, balcony and T.V. with British channels which is handy if you are in the room early evening with a grumpy infant.
We stayed all inclusive and the food was good, varied and fresh the only thing I would say is if you have a fussy child it may be fries for a week. The staff in the restaurant were brilliant particularly with my son who they always made feel special (Julian always made an effort to make him smile).
Swimming pool was good but the deck was a little small for the number of guests meaning that sun loungers were an issue at times although we did get one eventually every day. Most of the swimming pool area was in the shade during the hottest times of the day which again was great for the children but if you are a sun worshiper this wouldn’t be ideal. Smoking at the pool is something that makes me furious, this happened a lot, however, it has happened at every European/Turkish hotel we have stayed.
The animations staff were very friendly and included my son in activities even though he was too young to properly take part, he got a go, which he loved (Danielle was particularly good). The play park was kept tidy and the kids club area had bouncy castles and go karts to keep the children busy.
The maid staff were superb, the whole hotel was kept spotless. The bar staff were slow at times choosing to complete other jobs or their own conversations before serving guests and paying costumers seemed to get served before all inclusive guests but this didn’t spoil our holiday.

Room Tip: We were on floor 15 it was quiet and never a long wait for lifts.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrew S
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Princesa & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hello Andrew,

Good evening from a sunny afternoon in Benidorm current temperature 34 degrees!

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor after your “Great Holiday” at the Hotel RH Princesa.

It appears that you had a very good holiday overall and enjoyed the facilities of the Hotel, from the room to food, entertainment for children, pool area and general service.

The whole team were very motivated with your kind words Andrew and it was a pleasure having you and your family stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future

Hotel RH Princesa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 10 days in this hotel at the end of June, on a half board basis. It is a beautiful hotel with good sized comfy rooms. All staff very friendly and helpful. The choice of food was fantastic! Always something to suit all tastes. Breakfasts were amazing- the closest thing to a British fry up that i've ever had on holiday! The hotel pool area is its best feature, with a whirl pool and slide. Hotel entertainment was awful but who wants to go to Benidorm and sit in their hotel at night?? Also the guests are mainly Spanish who can be slightly rude at times and dont seem to like the British tourists much :S
This hotel is in a great location, well within walking distance to the old and new towns. (Old- great for shopping & soaking up the Spanish atmosphere. New- great for partying and evening entertainment.)
We had a brilliant stay at the RH Princesa and will definately be back!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kathryn G
Dear Kathryn,

Thank you very much for writing a review of the “Brilliant Hotel” RH Princesa and apologies for not responding sooner.

I was very proud to read that the breakfasts were the closest thing you have had had to a British fry up! Our chef was thrilled to bits with your comments in general on the food.

Location is great especially for women who like to shop, I assume you being one of them!!

Great to hear you had a brilliant stay and will be back, we look forward to it,

liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We got back a week or so ago and i like to leave a few days before I write to get the context correct. Overall a good hotel and holiday with very attentive staff. Prices within the hotel were very good and a decent bottle of wine at the table costs from 7 ish euro's upwards. We had a family room (511) on th corner which was great as you get a view in 2 directions and on that corner, without a column.
The food improved greatly after our first couple of days although it wasn't that bad before. I think one should expect to see chopped/whole nuts and fresh greek/ normal yoghurt on the breakfast stand though. Meals hot, cooked well, and varied. We were a family of 2 adults and 2 young kids on full board. We would have converted to all inclusive had the diference been the same as the initial tour operator price but the hotel wanted 615 euroes to upgrade so we gave it a miss. Spent 300 in the hotel so I would advise the hotel to change it's upgrade price to match the brochures as it's way above unless you're a family of alcoholics.
Pool is big enough and plenty of sun beds especially when the younger life guard is one duty who clears left towels. During the second week of our stay an older one was there most of the time and never moved towels off left sunbeds. Spent most of his time chatting to the bar man at the new pool side refreshment /ice cream stand. New daily aqua aerobics great fun. Love to tutor.
Great choice of spanish wines on the menu and we enjoyed them all.
Entertainment was not that bad actually and one of my kids enjoyed taking part in the mermaid show. The main down sides and why i didn't give five stars is the:-
lights out on balconies at 12 o clock. rediculous in this day and age and I noted that the RH hotels were the only ones doing it. We like many we spoke to like to have a relaxing read or chat late in the evening on the balcony. We'd asked for coffee fascilities in the room which to be fair was there waiting for us when we arrived but we only got the coffee topped up when we phoned reception on two days. the other days we received no coffee. Also all the coffee provided in the bederooms appeared to be decaf only.
But the main overall problem by far was the beds. big enough but like boards. If you suffer from sciatica or anything similar make sure to pack the diclafenic. Ruined our sleep most nights. the kids didn't mind though.
It was good to see the manager and a colleague down in the restaurant on one occasion chatting and checking the service etc...but he should also be asking some of the guests what they think. Pan au chocs...loved by our kids were removed from the menu for the last 3 days at breakfast time. Misserable thing to do when providing them every day before hand and the kids looking forward to them.
Old town lovely. Shop across the road adjacent to the front of the hotel run by a nice family and can provide things late upto around 11.30 if required. Ignore the other side of Benidorm, past the old town as there is nothing there in comparison. only one jelly fish spotted in the whole fortnight which was a releif as much of the Spanish coast is plaiged by them in summer although some areas have now netted them off. Lovely stay overall but would not go back puerely because of the beds

Room Tip: send an email directly to the hotel for the rooms you want and coffee if required. We liked the lowe...
2 Thank Reallyasitis
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Princesa & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Good Afternoon Mayada,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Hotel RH Princesa after your recent holiday.

Overall as you say you had a lovely stay, enjoyed the food and general facilities.

Just to explain with regard to lighting on the balconies, we switch them off at midnight as this is part of our environment protection plan.

I am not sure what “pan au chocs” are, we have racked our brains but have no idea what you mean not being on the breakfast buffet as we have not removed anything, nor would we if it was being enjoyed. If you pointed this out at the time then we may know what you mean, but we have not taken anything off the buffet. We do ask guests quite often what they think of the food, as does our guest relation manager, along with surveys that are carried out frequently.

You had a few niggles and if only you had mentioned these whilst you were here. The mattresses may have been different in another room, if you had told us we could have looked at this possibility for you. It is a shame to read that you would not return because the beds were hard and this was never brought to our attention whilst you were here,

Thanks again for your feedback,

Renfrew
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days at the end of July on a full board basis, the hotel is spotless and rooms were cleaned on a daily basis including towel change. Room has flat screen tv with a variety of uk channels, room also had a mini fridge and hair dryer. Cannot fault our room at all, great AC and balcony with a side view of hotel!

The hotel is located approx 3 min walk to the old town and 7 min walk to the new town, so felt it was a great location as you are not right in the thick of things.

Breakfast consisted of continental and full English however was slightly disappointed that there was no chef to cook omelettes or pancakes however food was always fresh and tasty!

Personally I thought lunch choices were slightly better than dinner however both were plentiful with a great choice, I have two fussy kids and even they found something to eat!! One negative was we had to return our chicken kebabs one night as they were raw which did slightly put me off however dining staff ensured us that they would look into this!!

I was also disappointed that the spa/gym was not free and that they charged 6 euro per day for use, I think when you are paying £2600 for a holiday then the gym should be free!!!

The hotel was very very busy and every time we went to the kids club at various times in the day it was closed so my daughter eventually gave up and lost interest in going, the nightly entertainment was not great however I believe it is the same throughout benidorm!

The one problem we did have was the POOL, we has to be down at 8am each morning to be guaranteed a bed and because of the fear of losing your bed we didn't feel comfortable leaving the beds all day........ There was not enough beds for the size of the hotel and on numerous occasions I seen what I can only describe as "bed wars" between guests!!!! We did find out nearer the end of our stay that local residents also use the hotel pool as I one English speaking resident informed me of this, no wonder guests of the hotel struggle to get a bed when local residents are using the hotel facilities - how can this be fair???????

All in all we had a good holiday however would I return to rh princessa - no, but then again I don't think I would return to benidorm.

3 Thank Lynsey M
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Princesa & Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Good Afternoon Lynsey,

The team of the Hotel RH Princesa appreciate your recent contribution on Tripadvisor.

It’s nice to hear that you enjoyed the food and found it to be tasty. I was made aware of your comment on the kebab and have already dealt with this. At lunchtime we have a varied offering on the buffet all food stations are full, as they are for evening dinner, so there is plenty of choice, which I would say is equall.

The mini club times are advertised on our entertainment board, not sure if you managed to see that whilst you were here. As far as the entertainment goes we do our very best to entertainment all nationalities, as you can appreciate it is difficult to please everyone but we do have a varied programme.

We do not let non-residents into the hotel to use the outdoor pool, if anyone reading this ever sees otherwise then I ask that you please inform us immediately, the facilities of the Hotel are for hotel guests only apart from the Spa which is available for non-residents..

I am sorry to hear that Benidorm was not for you we, thank you for taking time to share your opinion and choosing the Hotel RH Princesa,

Windsor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Lets start with the fact that Thomson/First choice advertise it as their hotel it is not they do not run the entertainment or activities which you expect from them it is run by the hotel which is poor to say the least. When you book with them and pay their prices you expect them to run the place.

Moving on to the Restaurant the food at lunch and dinner time is terrible, bland and repetitive. We complained and to no avail the hotel has its standards and they are not high.

Next the pool well paddling pool really far to small for the amount of people there and then there is the issue of trying to get a sun bed, unless you are up at 8am waiting to get one then forget about it. best go to the beach. All in all well under standard and I am not sure who gives out star ratings but Thomson/First choice should take a close look at what they recommend. I will think twice before using a Thomson/First choice hotel again.

3 Thank adamb186419
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Princesa & Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Good Morning Adam,

I was surprised to read your review of the Hotel RH Princesa. Whilst I always respect that we are all entitled to our own opinion I cannot agree with your comments.

First Choice does not advertise this hotel as theirs, nor would they be responsible for the entertainment. In their defence they couldn’t possibly run all the hotels in their programme, why you are under the impression they do I have no idea; maybe you should take that up with them.

Our customer satisfaction for food is very high and backed up with recent reviews. If we had received a complaint about the food I would have been aware of it and I am not so I guess you didn’t speak to the Hotel about this. Our standards and customer service is very high, because the food was not to your taste doesn’t mean our standards are low, remember this is “your opinion” not that of others.

Whist the pool area can be very busy in high season, I won’t be drawn into childish comments, all I will say is our current scores for the Hotel overall with First Choice are 83%,
which we are very pleased with indeed.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

First impressions of this hotel were great! I was quite anxious about going on holiday as a lone parent but was quickly put at my ease. A Kind, friendly and relaxed environment and very clean. Food was great with lots of choice. Room cleaned every day. The Pool was lovely with a smaller pool for the little ones, a small water slide and jacuzzi. Sun bed towel reservation s were an issue. . But who wants to stay in a hotel all day .. when you have an amazing beach 10 minutes away! Nice stroll in the evenings along the lively promenade and gorgeous piers for great photo opportunities! In terms of our room .. it was clean, light and bright. Lack of plug sockets was a slight inconvenience but it didn't weigh too heavy on our minds. The entertainment was light and "cheesy" but added to the fun. The entertainment staff were lovely and approachable and encouraged all to join in. The one and only thing that I got offended by was the guy who came in to do the repitile show,who referred to a fake toy being bought from "the paki shop" I was quite shocked by this racist comment! However, these guys are not part of the hotel staff. Overall fab holiday and Benidorm was much much nicer than I expected it to be.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank sherry7777
Good Morning Sherry,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion of the Hotel RH Princesa after your recent holiday with us.

I am very happy that your stay exceeded your expectations and that you had a fab holiday.

I will share your review as always with all the team and I will look into the comment made by one the acts we provide, my apologies on that note.

Travelling alone with a child I can imagine can be an anxious time, but I am delighted at our hotel you felt relaxed in a kind friendly atmosphere.

We hope to see you again soon and thanks again for your review,

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We (Mum, Dad and I) stayed at the RH Princesa in February of this year. I have to say that from the very moment we walked into the hotel the staff and everyone associated with this fabulous hotel made us feel totally at home.

My parents had a double room with a lovely balcony and I stayed in a single room that was very spacious yet felt very cosy. Both Rooms were immaculately clean and tidy and very comfortable.

The food at the Princesa was lovely; there was always plenty of choice (even though some of the choices didn’t seem to be our taste – Pigs trotters!!- It turned out to be well worth a try). We stayed on an All-inclusive basis and the bar and restaurant staff where great, In fact all the staff at the RH Princesa were all very kind, courteous, very friendly and professional, with a ready smile.

The evening entertainment was somewhat geared to the “older” generation (ballroom dancing) but it just added to the fun, homely and relaxed feel of the RH Princesa. By the end of the week I was enthusiastically grabbing my seat to watch the “young at heart” strut their stuff.

This hotel, its location and its staff were fabulous from start to finish. We had a brilliant time in Benidorm and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this marvellous hotel and can’t speak highly enough of all the staff.

We have just booked again for February 2014 … Can’t wait to see you all again.

Ps. LOVE the sweets in reception!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NiciM2013
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Princesa & Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hi NiciM2013,

Great, Great, Great review!!

We are very pleased to read that your stay with us in February was so enjoyable, from comfort to food, staff and entertainment.

I can say at this time of year we have a completely different profile of guests, now it the time for families, as the children are off school.

We very much look forward to welcoming you and your family back again in the New Year,

Thank you again for writing us a review