“Hotel from HELL”

Paraiso Ten Apartments
Reviewed October 9, 2008

Please understand that this review is totally based on our experiences and statements of what we witnessed of which every single word is true. We are a family of 6 = Parents plus 14, 13, 12 & 5 yr olds. DO NOT STAY AT THIS APARTMENT IF YOU WANT A SAFE HOLIDAY OR A HOTEL THAT CATERS FOR CHILDREN.

All there is here for the children is two pool tables that are ragged and have chunks missing from the balls at 1 Euro 50 cents per game, two very low grade video games which we couldn’t get changed from Spanish to English and two computers with internet access costing 1 Euro for 15 minutes. There is a tennis court but it is really run down. It also costs 40 euros deposit on the rackets and 4 euros per hour to use.

We arrived at 23.00 hrs and were booked in to a 6 person two bedroom room. Before we could have our keys we had to pay a E60 or £40 bond. This hotel is a Thomson apartments block advertised by Thomson as ALL rooms having a balcony…....wrong, ours did not (room 4F). The room was sufficient other than no balcony but the beds are totally not for sleeping on. They are rock hard and are single sized. We were told that there are no double beds in this apartment block. The shower also ran cold after two of us had taken QUICK showers.

This hotel is advertised as towering majestically over the pool.....wrong again, it's actually a 50 metre walk across a car park which was riddled with smashed glass for the full 14 days that we were there. (ariel picture showing apartments and distance to pool are uploaded) The pool is dangerous for anyone who stands on the white plastic water vent that surrounds it. This vent collapsed on my children and I on many of occasions leaving sharp edges that can easily cut feet or the void left could easily twist or break ankles. You can not access this pool area without enduring steps of some sort which means access for disabled wheel chair users is totally restricted. The sun lounges which are rock hard and un-adjustable are charged at 1 euro 50 cents per day and there is no bar, music or any other form of anything to do other than try and get in the pool without hurting yourself on mentioned plastic vent guard.

This apartment block we were eventually told by locals actually majestically towers over MUGGERS ALLEY which is really a dirt track (which we were never advised of both before booking, and after arriving. Even the rep didn’t mention it at her morning welcome speech and we had 4 children with us) Please understand that this apartment block sides onto MUGGERS ALLEY and across the dirt track is the waste land area that the muggers and gypsy’s and homeless live and emerge from (we saw this daily).

The following is 100% true…… my wife and I were looking out of our apartment window one evening and witnessed two English men being mugged by what appeared to be two vagrants. This happened on MUGGERS ALLEY which this Hotel adjoins from the side of the reception area steps. We just could not believe this was happening as part of our apartment view. A few days later we witnessed a local taxi driver pull up on this dirt track and start urinating on the track. A few days after this my five year old stated that there was someone over the other side of mugger’s alley on the waste land sharpening sticks. To my surprise this was a vagrant with a Machete knife sharpening stakes for some strange reason. Please see attached pictures of the bins being scrounged through by the local homeless (picture taken from our apartment) Taxi drivers urinating in the street (also taken from our window) mattresses used by the homeless (taken from our window) Regrettably my camera was at the pool side with my wife whilst the knife sharpening was happening so I couldn’t get a picture quick enough. This waste land also has a couple of donkey’s and dogs that are eeeawwing or barking most nights. This kept us awake on most nights and we are not light sleepers.

I can’t understand why anyone would give this apartment block a good review, and I did read a few before I went. They obviously weren’t aware that they were sat on mugger’s alley, or stayed in the opposite side of the apartments so weren’t aware of the Donkey, Dogs, Vagrants and muggings. This was one experience that I will ensure me and my family are never introduced to again. Please feel free to send me a message should you need any further info or you wish to speak to me on the phone or if you would like the pictures I’ve taken.

Thanks

Steve

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank Steve L
There are newer reviews for Paraiso Ten Apartments

Reviewed August 30, 2008

Well where shall I start. Just returned from these apartments in August 2008. The only saving grace for us was that we were lucky enough to get an apartment with air con. Had that not been the case then I think we would have reached suicidal tendancies for the two weeks we stayed there!!

A family of four - two adults with two kids aged 11 and 8 and to put it bluntly even if it was free all inclusive I would not go back!!

They say you either love Benidorm or hate it, each to their own but we hated it! I can only describe my first visit to Benidorm as a sunny Blackpool and tacky.

Back to the apartments. On our arrival late at night we entered the apartments which smelt of urine initially and promptly left to go out as it felt like alcatraz. I found the apartments to be claustrophobic, poorly furnished and basic. The smell of urine turned out to be a leak in the bathroom however in the hotels favour once it was reported it was fixed.

The pool was not that good. No bar for a start., no music, no umbrellas. It was a rowdy pool area really. I could not believe you had to pay for a plastic sunbed round the pool. Costing 1 euro 50 a day for a rigid plastic uncomfortable bed that you could not even tilt up. The pool is used by two hotels of the same size and got packed to ridiculous levels during the afternoon. The pool attendant was like a mini hitler. He had eyes like a s**t house rat and you never ever got away with a free sunbed. He made his rules up as he went along at one point even telling a little girl with a t shirt on to stop her from burning to take it off whilst in the pool. Unbeknown to me he took my 8 year old daughters float from her and then gave her it back!! Power freak or what!! I think he liked to feel in charge and was not surprised when one family had a big argument with him although I dont know what over. My son and I ended up with an ear infection I believe from the pool which I think could have been better maintained as when really packed it felt more like a warm bath. If you are thinking of doing a few laps for exercise forget it!!

The apartments were cleaned approx every 3 days which was fine. This was not a cheap holiday for us and I suppose having compared this accomodation to others we have been in around Europe for a similar cost it rates the lowest.

They say you get what you pay for but i totally disagree in this case on comparing this accomodation to others we have visited for similar costs throughout Europe. We certainly got far less value for money than what we payed for.

There was nothing of any distinction that would make us want to return to these apartments.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank rancidskunk
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Went with 2 friends (so it was a group of 3 mid-twenties girls), booked through easy jet and was concerned it might be a bit basic - but it was exactly what we needed. The apartment wasn't very big but the balcony was huge!

The staff were really nice, helpful and full of useful information.

It took us about 10 mins to walk to the beach and less than that to get to the bars.

Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank emmiehl
Reviewed May 16, 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights for my stag do. The apartment was clean and provided us with everything we needed. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food in the bar down stairs was excellent, and cheap! The night life was just down the road and beach was only a short walk aswell. Couldn't fault this hotel at all, absolutely awesome for a very reasonable price!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank Smudger265
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Travelled with my family, me, my partner and my daugher 3 and stay in the paraiso 10 self catering. it was perfect, the had a bedroom with 2 single beds, front room, tv, table, chairs, sette (which you could have a 2 more people sleeping). then the kitchen oven fridge frezzer,kettle etc. bathroom bath and shower. It was like having a apartment in the uk but with the sun. cleaners come every 3 to 4 days that only what i can remember though and our apartment decor was green( mind that was the thing i was unsure of, but i wasnt living there, only for 2 weeks). well maintain and very clean. balony was very big and high.
5-10 Mins walk from night life and stuff for the kids, we took the pushchair and she just fell asleep in that.
No entertainment in these aparments, lots not far, kids and adults, somewhere to eat though but stop serving food at a certain time. Staff where nice and helpful.
Pool is share with next door apartments, but again kept clean, pool boy attended and you have to pay for the sunbeds, baby pool which i thought was fanastic and my little one loved it aswell (saftey barrier between the pools to separated them) a couple of steps to overcome before you get to the pool. overall great, but if like to stay put in your hotel and go discovering sorry this accomadation is not for you. hope this helped.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank travelmummyNorthEast
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Booked these apartments with a large group of friends, some had booked them through Easyjet and some of us with gestaltur.com, those of us who had booked with the latter got the worse deal.

You get dropped off at the hotel but you have to go to the gestaltur office about 400 yards away to get your apartment keys and leave the deposits, I mean they know you are coming, there is a perfectly good reception area why not leave them there?

The apartments are in a good location, not far from the beach or nightlife.

We were on the 22nd floor, lifts were small and slow however the rooms were spacious and clean, the bathroom was old but very usable, each apartment has it's own boiler so there is plenty of hot water. On a few occaisions the lightbulbs blew in the apartments, went to see reception they don't want to know, you have to go to the gestaltur office to get anything sorted, to give them credit any issues were normally sorted within 24 hours.

We had our towels and sheets changed once in 10 days (after day 8) and the quality of the towels was appalling, it was easier sitting on the balcony in the nude on a freezing night to get dry than use the face flannels they called towels, the rooms were never cleaned during our stay, the maid came and because we were still in getting ready for the beach she said "ok you still in bed" and gave us a bundle of sheets and some more flannels.

I know it was early but the pool hadn't been cleaned all winter, the maintenence staff that were repairing broken tiles rinsed their trowels and sponges out in the pool, this was done in full view of the guests, to say the least that was the last day we spent around the pool.

The bar area in the apartments was a great place to meet, it was clean and tidy and the staff were great.

Our friends that booked through easyjet got the better deal, their towels were large and fluffy, cleaned every other day and they also had SKY telly in their rooms, (although there was a small charge). therefore if you go book with easyjet.

One other thing thing the apartments pick up every noise throughout the building so if you don't want to hear anything, go to bed drunk.

As I said in the title "you get what you pay for" these rooms were only £20 a night, so for value for money they are not bad, although I have spent less and stopped in better.

• Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank chappell1964
Reviewed December 14, 2007

We have been to the Paraiso 10 now 4 times and its always brilliant, large spacious apartments always spotless. This time as we were travelling with relatives we had a 2 bedroom apartment, only thing which wasnt that brilliant was you didnt get a balcony (so no-where to dry swimming costumes, towels etc) and also i found the kitchen to be tiny compared with the one bed apartments but its not really a complaint.
The staff on reception all speak perfect english which is a great help and check in is always quick.
The apartments are also i feel secure which a double locked door as you go in, plus double locks on your apartment doors too.
The apartments have a large swimming pool which is shared with the Vistamar next door, wasnt too busy in May/June when we were there but can imagine it could be peak season. You have to pay for the sunbeds which i actually think is a good idea that way you dont have everyone putting towels etc and not using the beds, they cost 1.50 a day which isnt bad.
Out and about we ate alot at The Village Pub, Sharkeys & The Codfather plus a few other places too (didnt have a bad meal in the fortnight so that was great)
For entertainment on a night time we mainly ended up at Churchills as its child friendly and some good acts on there too.
For people with smaller kiddies that like the fair there is Festalania on the front i think it was about 1.50/2.00 euros a ride which wasnt too bad.
Mundomar is also a great day out, go and see the dolphin show its brilliant!
Not much else i can think of apart from we will be returning again next July as we have already booked.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family