“Grand, stunning views ... Fabulous stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gran Hotel Bali

Gran Hotel Bali
Ranked #72 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
Lincoln
“Grand, stunning views ... Fabulous stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week here and absolutely loved it! I had one night alone there and felt very safe, my 21 year old daughter joined me the next day. Staff were friendly, room was lovely and cleaned daily (21st floor, pool and sea view was stunning!). Pool area was clean and plenty of sun loungers. Quiet side of benidorm, a bus ride into the centre (1.30 euro) went in twice and that was sufficient, wanted a peaceful trip and this is what we got. The food was varied, not sure what else could be provided so don't understand some of the comments on here ... So pleased I didn't let them put me off staying at this hotel. The entertainment could have been more varied but the dance floor was full so it certainly enjoyed by many guests. An iconic building that I look forward to visiting again!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sue_in_her_40s
Dep_comercial, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Hotel Bali, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Guest:
Many thanks for your kind comments. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We'll go on trying to do it the same or improving to get your satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (953)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Martorell, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

We booked to stay in Benidorm this Easter because the prices were cheap and we thought the weather would be good. We were a bit aprehensive about going because you hear a lot of stag parties and young people go out partying and causing trouble or that there are loads of old people.

At the Gran Bali hotel there were women there for hen dos, old people on coach trips and families there for holidays but we heard nothing from them and hardly saw many because this hotel is enormous! We were lucky enough to get to stay on the 36th floor and the view was out of this world!

The swimming pools were lovely, clean and well maintained, some with waterfalls, a large outside jacuzzi, plenty of sun beds, a kids play area and plenty of activities for children to keep them ocupied.

The staff at the front desk were incredibly helpful especially Raul, they were kind, caring and full of energy which was a delight. The bar staff, restaurant staff and cleaning staff were also lovely.

The hotel room was clean, well maintained and functioned. We needed a cot for our four month old and this was provided. We were several hours early for checking in but the reception people did everything they could to get us into our room within 30minutes of our arrival. We had a kingsized bed which was fantastic. So many Spanish hotels provide twin beds and nothing else so this was great. The bathroom was up to date and the bath and shower worked very well.

The lifts worked well although stopped a lot to pick up people on your way up or down and often our lift was full but it kept stopping. However it only meant that if you forgot something in your room it took a while to go and get it.

The food at the hotel was good. There were always options for meat, vegitarian and fish dishes every evening. There was a good quality salad bar part and always fresh fruit available. In Spain there are only a few shops where you can buy English style bacon and even fewer sell english style sausages but the hotel did their best to provide a british style breakfast as well as a continental. As before there was plenty of fruit, yoghurt and different bread and pastries. All food had name labels in English, Spainish and French.

The only thing I would complain about is that we paid to stay and have breakfast and dinner included. It bothered me that no drinks were included with dinner. Considering a six litre bottle of water costs 63cents in a Spanish supermarket I don´t see why they couldn´t have offered at least water for the meal and if you preferred other drinks then you could pay for them.

That is literally my only complaint. We are very tempted to come back next year

Room Tip: Ask for a HIGH room (unless you are scarred of heights in which case don´t even consider it!)
2 Thank FieldFace
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

It really isn't all that bad for a budget hotel/holiday. The hotel boasts 4 stars but as predicted and as many of the reviews confirm the facilities are more of a 3 star standard.

The swimming pools were freezing (second week of April) but there were always available sunbeds in prime spots and the pool area I felt was kept clean and tidy.

We were on floor 36 in a superior room overlooking the pools and best of all the sea, the views were amazing we certainly can't knock just how much we could see, as we not only had the usual standard balcony but also a huge side balcony. The room was adequate for our needs (family of 4) with a bath and shower, but at times being on such a high floor the time to took for a lift to arrive was longer than it should have been. No problems with the maid service, towels were changed as were sheets BUT perhaps the mopping of the floors could have been a bit more thorough.

Although we personally never felt like we were treated any differently to non all inclusive guests, we did speak to other English families who strongly felt they were mistreated by the hotel staff. We were always served quickly and overall found the staff to be polite. It's good to know that cocktails are not part of the all inclusive package but are competitively priced and you can add money to your card (hotel key) with gives you a 15% discount and any of the hotel's payable services/beverages etc (and unpsent money is refunded) Also WiFi is not free.

The thing for us that we were more disappointed about was the lack of GOOD family evening entertainment, it was the same singer every night between 9 and 10 (immediately after the line dancing lesson), singing the same songs (none of which were modern) along with what sounded like the demo track on a keyboard being played. Due to the Spanish OAP's receiving 3 weeks paid holiday from their Government each year we did find that probably 80% of the guests at this hotel were over the age of 60 I would suggest that the hotel, certainly the entertainment caters mostly for this clientèle.

We did venture out of the hotel as the old town is literally only a 25/30 minute stroll along the beach with lots of small cocktail bars, coffee shops and restaurants. If you want to be in the thick of all the clubs and bars then this hotel is situated at the wrong end of Benidorm for you.

The food I see gets a lot of criticism and I have to admit it was very average but there was a variety of hot and cold foods, you certainly wouldn't starve! No afternoon tea which was a disappointment also heads up the coffee is disgusting!! I highly recommend you take your own.

Overall having read lots of reviews before booking this hotel I sincerely do not consider it to be as bad as some of the reviews depict, if you are looking for a luxury hotel that staff are going to attend to your every need then book somewhere else. It's a budget hotel that serves a purpose!

Room Tip: You want to be facing the pool area and as high up as possible for superb views of Benidorm.
1 Thank Glittergiraffe
Dear Guest:
We would like to thank you for your kind comments and will take care to improve all the details we can.
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

This was our 3rd visit to this hotel over a 5 year period and we will not be returning. The staff on reception were rude and only had time for the Spanish OAP's who were on their annual holidays. The entertainment catered only for the Spanish and the food was of poor quality and was often cold. Our fellow Spanish guests were rude in general, pushing in queues for food and the lifts with one lady lifting my partners chair up with him on it whilst he was eating his evening meal. The room as always was lovely and clean with great views but we were only glad that we were not all inclusive so that we had the option to eat and drink elsewhere with a more welcome reception and better mannered travelling companions. A once top class hotel has let its standards slip along with 2 of its regular guests. A real shame.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

1 Thank Joanne G
We are sorry to know that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Sorry to hear about your experience with the Spanish clients, but we think it is not fair to generalize saying that all the Spanish guests are rude.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

I have recently spent a less than enjoyable week at your establishment. I struggle to comprehend how you can put four stars above your door, I have stayed at more pleasant roadside motels, eaten at far superior kebab shops and swum in cleaner public swimming pools!

The rooms were poorly cleaned, if at all, there was sand constantly on the floor and in the bedding and we found glass in the sofa bed. The rooms themselves are not four star, the décor and the quality of the furniture and bedding was two star, if I am being generous! Mattresses were hard and not overly inviting much the same as the pillows that accompanied them. The air conditioning was borderline non-existent and just re-circulated the warm air in the room. Subsequently we had to attempt sleep with the balcony door open, this was difficult as our room was overhanging the bar area so we had to endure the noise from the evenings entertainment and the less than quiet clientele. This made it very difficult for our child to sleep as she was constantly being disturbed.

The swimming pool constantly had plasters, tissues and other objects floating in the water.

All of the above, pales in comparison though to the food, which we unfortunate All Inclusive guests paid extra money to endure. I have never eaten such appalling food in all my life and I do not believe it would be possible to eat such atrocious food ever again unless I have a gun put to my head and I am made to eat at your establishment again! I actually think I would prefer the bullet to the skull as it would be less painful than to take even one more single bite of your culinary delights! I would say your food is only fit for pigs but there is European legislation on what you can feed to livestock and it would also be a dis-service to pig swill and offal producers to categorise their goods as the same as your breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets for human consumption. I am not a food snob or would not buy food from discount supermarkets but I have yet to discover anything in any supermarket bargain bin that was of such a poor quality let alone a lesser quality - come to think of it I've never seen anything of such poor quality in a rubbish bin or deposited on a pavement. The breaded pork steaks looked as if something had regurgitated some dog meat into breadcrumbs and by the accompanying taste it could well of happened!! The hot breakfast was nearly always cold even if you took an item from a tray that had just arrived. The cold meat and cheese breakfast was the cheapest meats (if they actually were meat) I have ever encountered. The cheese was curling up from the heat. Lunch - I'm not sure what we had as we were still nauseas from the breakfast. Dinner was a delightful concoction of the following: Cheese toastie, fish fingers, turkey steak (I'm not sure if it was turkey or just slivers of dog food), the aforementioned breaded pork steaks, sloppy battered fish, burgers that would make McDonalds burgers seem like gourmet at a Michelin starred restaurant and burnt pizza to name but a few.

I sincerely hope you amend your rating above your door or dispose of the services of your management team, cleaners, food purchasing department or your suppliers as they seem to be mainly incompetent in the roles they are employed to do. I feel like an act of fraud has been committed upon me as the level and standard of service is way below what I was led to believe I was paying for.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
4 Thank Gemma S
We are sorry to know that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Gran Hotel Bali is a 4**** star hotel. All services in the hotel are 4 star standards and Gran Hotel Bali always tries to give every client a good value for money.
Also we would like to mention that the hotel gets year by year the Q certificate (quality official certificate) which guarantees that everything in the hotel complies with Spanish regulations and standards.

Travelers are raving about these Benidorm hotels

Staffordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Just come back from a five day stay at the Gran Hotel Bali. For the money we paid it was a brilliant hotel. We enjoyed a room on the 18th floor of the lower of the two towers and it was bright and clean with a nice en suite bathroom with bath and shower. The views from the balcony of the whole of Benidorm were breathtaking. All inclusive food and drinks meant breakfast lunch and dinner at set times and sandwiches and crisps available 10am until 7 pm ( only ham and cheese on the sandwiches but very nice if a little repetitive). The pool area was clean and huge with a choice of 3 pools with various fountains and shallow and deep areas. No problem getting sunbeds and drinks bar is easily accessible from the pool area. No ice creams included on the all inclusive . Meals were varied and catered for most tastes and you could easily find something as there was a lot of choice. Not exotic food just simple fare which we were happy with, always loads of fruit and just had to collect bottles of wine ,beer, water or pop from a counter by showing your all inclusive card. Puddings were a bit limited mostly cakes and mousses in cups but ice cream always on offer. The hotel has some Spanish elderly guests who may seem a bit rude to you at first but we found them to be pleasant if you were pleasant with them. In a nutshell the Bali
is a very well run hotel , it is a busy hotel but the staff work hard to keep it clean and to keep the drinks flowing. My only request is for real Valencia Orange juice at breakfast with one of those machines where you can see the oranges going in and the juice coming out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view
1 Thank Sue and Dave W
uttoxeter
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

This hotel has a 4 star façade but only 2 star food - when one of the evening main meal choice is toasted cheese sandwich - and that was on a good night !! Breakfast was a little better but even then you will find the 'hot' food cold.
Expect very poor service in the restaurant - Its the only hotel I have stayed in where cutlery and crockery dirty (I don't expect to use same cutlery for all courses)
The rooms are dated - most of the furniture is a very poor state of repair - and bathroom fitting dangerous - shower ran from cold to very hot within seconds and then cold again - the shower mixer became hot enough to burn so beware. The air conditioning did not work properly so expect very hot nights and a bad nights sleep as beds are as hard as rock.
Lifts are a nightmare the smaller ones only carrying 2 people at a time on most occasions.
This hotel caters for the Spanish and they may be small in statue but they are very capable of pushing in - also if you want a desert at dinner do as they do and select it first .

Avoid this hotel at all costs - will not ever return .

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
We are sorry to know that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Gran Hotel Bali works on a 7 days basis menus to guarantee a high variety and quality of foods. Menus are planned to satisfy everybody always keeping a good value for money.
The hotel caters for all the nationalities. At this moment of the year there are a lot of Spanish in the hotel, also and of course in Benidorm and in Spain. We do not think is fair saying that Spanish are "small in statute" (generalizations are bad and unfair).