“our stay”

MedPlaya Hotel Regente
Ranked #39 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
Reviewed December 30, 2007

Eight of us stay here in 2005,and actually enjoyed our stay,though we did spend most of our evenings across the road at Hoxtons which sadly has closed down when i went this year,some of the entertainment was good,especially for the kids,and yes there were alot of children but then what do you expect?,if you dont want kids then dont book Benidorm or go on a saga holiday,If you rent a hire car then your in for a shock when it comes to parking as there is no actual hotel parking for guests so its first come first served,i have had to park up by the water park as there was a local festival on and the parking was all taken up,there is a bit of a hike to the beach,but you can drive,plus there is lots to do around benidorm,we mainly use hotels as a base and venture out for the day as to spend allday everyday on the complex is a waste.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled with family
6  Thank postiechiris
Write a ReviewReviews (2,016)

Reviewed December 23, 2007

After reading all the bad reviews on this site my family & I were dreading our stay here............how wrong we were to worry!
We have just returned (22nd December) from a thoroughly enjoyable week, staying full board.
The staff couldn't do enough for us, they were so friendly & helpful.
The hotel has undergone some alterations & some of this took place while we were there. It didn't interfer with our stay at all & at breakfast time they started to lay a laminate floor & by dinner time the floor was laid & new doors were also fitted!
Both our rooms were immaculate. They were spacious, the beds were comfortable, the sheets crisp & clean & towels were thick & fluffy (no holes).
We purchased the remote control for the TV (20 euros) & had Sky sports, CH4 & ITV1 - These went off at 1am & returned at 7am. The 20 euros was returned to me when I handed in the remote control.
We also hired a safe for 2 euros a day.
The cleaners were so friendly & went out of their way to speak to us. They worked around the clock ensuring that everything was spotless.
If you wanted to get up late, you could just put the "Do not disturb" sign on the door.
The meals were fantastic too, we couldn't fault anything at all. The breakfasts were always hot & tasty. From a full English, cereals, toast, fresh fruit, continental, yoghurt etc...
Dinner & evening meals were exceptional, consisting of tasty soups, & around 4 choices for the main meal with 3 different vegetables, salads were great too. Desserts were delicious - especially the lemon gateau!
Friday night was Gala meal night & a waiter called Jeremy was on hand to re-fill everyones glass of champagne!
Entertainment was brilliant & varied. Everyone enjoyed the twice nightly "turns". Estelle worked with passion & it was obvious she loved her job.
Happy hour in the hotel was 5-6pm Mon-Weds & Beer party was Thursday evenings.
The bar closed at 1:30am & guests moved into the tv lounge then.
This is a great hotel with exceptional staff who are a credit to the Med Playa group.
The location was great too, we even got to see parts of Benidorm we never knew existed! We found a great pub (recommended on here) called the "Rock & Roll" bar which was just up the road from the hotel.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone, I think the best advice I can offer with regards to the Regente is try it & give it a go. If you were to believe every review you'd never go anywhere!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
17  Thank Harley321
Reviewed December 23, 2007

I and my partner stayed at this Hotel w/c 4th December 2007 for 7 days on a full board basis.
Like other guests who had read previous reviews I was concerned about the "stomach bug" problems that this Hotel had been having, to the degree that I had asked the Travel agent (Thompsons) to check about this before we set out. We were informed that they had no record of any problems with this Hotel not even the fact that it had been closed due to this problem in early October. This did not help my concerns but we decided to see for ourselves on arrival as well as seeing the Travel rep at the Hotel. The rep agreed that the Hotel had had these problems and that now everything was sorted out.
Can I at this stage record my thanks to the reviewer Askthedust who pretty well says it all regarding what we found at this Hotel.
We had a lovely stay with no problems whatsoever and the rooms, food etc were more than adequate for the Hotel rating.
I also agree with his view about people who complained about the hand washers outside the dining area.
I have no doubt these would have been the first to complain if they had contacted anything at this Hotel so to ridicule the safety measures at the Hotel beggars belief in the intelligence of some people.
Can I also add my agreement to part of the review of bash62 in regard to thin walls. I was awoken early hours of the morning by the couple next door to us (on the 8th floor) who were just talking normally, but you could hear every word.
So I would have a concern if you were next to a noisy family or maybe honeymooners.
This Hotel was very good value for money with no complaints about the food, accomodation, cleaning etc.
Would only say that this is not the Hotel for you if you like to be near the livelier parts of the resort as the Hotel is a good 15 minute walk from the clutch of pubs and clubs in the centre of Benidorm.
Oh and one final complaint: The entertainment was adequate at the Hotel, Bingo etc. but a lot of people were complaining about Smoking being allowed in the entertainment room.
Would suggest the Managment look in to this as I understand most other Hotels do not allow smoking in this area.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Liketotravel2
Reviewed December 17, 2007

well the review before this is pretty much the same as i was going to say . food can't comment only had breakfast one day .like to eat out .place is clean .my only complaint the walls are wafer thin ,we were on eighth floor too. bloke snoring sounded like he was in my room.get ear plugs or get drunk .i chose to get drunk .all in all enjoyed the stay

Stayed: December 2007
4  Thank bash62
Reviewed December 12, 2007

It was with some trepidation after reading the reviews on this site, that my party and I checked into the Regente early in December 2007 for a regenerative and Full Board basis break - especially as I and a couple of other people don't have the best immune systems in the world to say the least!

However, and to put it bluntly, we need not have worried.

The hotel, situated in the new part of Benidorm, about a 5 minute walk away from the beach, is in the middle of being renovated and modernised. Indeed, the 5th and 6th floors have already been kitted out with laminate flooring and accommodation to a three star, at least, standard. This work is very quiet and did not affect our stay at the hotel in any way. Top marks for that.

We had rooms on the 8th floor and, despite the lifts being painfully and annoyingly slow, we had no complaints about the room. Each room has air conditioning and a pleasant balcony as well as a sparkling clean bathroom and plenty of storage space. Our sheets and towels were changed with crisp new ones each day, and the room freshened and cleaned.

Food wise we were all pleased too. Each meal is buffet-style - but the food is kept in very, very well heated units that ensure it stays hot, though obviously not roasting and boiling hot as some may like.

Breakfast consists of choices of tea, coffee, around 6 types of cereals, fruits, fruit juices, ham, cheese, rolls, croissants and of course "the full english" - so beans, sausages, bacon, black pudding, fried and scrambled egg, grilled tomato and of course toast. All of the food was of a high standard and well cooked. And, as with all meals, you can eat as much as you like.

The lunch and evening meal menus were very similar in style, but not content - both had a very wide variety of foods on offer, certainly not just chips.

Usually there was at least one Spanish-themed dish (paella etc), two different types of meat, and various other delights including a full carvery service on two nights, replete with complimentary champagne! There was also a wide selection of puddings and treats available too - all delicious.

Again all of the food was well cooked, plenty warm, and there was more than enough of it to go around. Of course, as with most places in Benidorm, there is a distinctly English feel about the food choices. The hotel will only serve what'll be eaten obviously though so what do you expect.

My only complaint about the dinner and evening meals was that no drink of any sort is included, even water. But a bottle of San Miguel - ice cold - was only one Euro fifty and there were a variety of other drinks, hot and cold, available at the small bar at the end of the dining room.

I was especially impressed with the hand cleaning system in place before guests enter the dining room which operates in a similar way to the ones you find on hospital wards now - a small dispenser squirts anti-septic cleansing "stuff" onto your hands to eradicate nasty bugs etc. The hotel is to be applauded for this step.

However, perhaps those other reviewers of this hotel should consider that, if their fellow guests were anything like the ones we stayed with, a few people chose to never wash their hands before eating, indeed some positively sneered at the prospect. To be frank, if people can't take care of their own personal hygiene in the way that they were not, then they're putting themselves, and their fellow guests at high risk of all manner of germs and ailments. Not an awful lot the hotel can do about naturally dirty and inconsiderate people, which is what it amounts to, is there?

It's best considering that before apportioning blame towards the hotel itself at the onset of any bug.

Also, access to the dining area is now very well controlled, so people cannot just walk off the street into the eating areas.

During my 7 day break at the Regente there wasn't a single case of anyone with anything more than a self inflicted dose of dodgy tummy or too much booze the night before. All areas of the hotel, as I said, were clean and very comfortable.

There is internet access available in the lobby for one euro per 10 minutes which is steep I suppose. But the access is mega-fast and one of the PC's has a card reader fitted so you can send your snaps back home in double time!

I didn't partake in the hotel entertainment much but when I did it was standard Benidorm fayre, but very well organised and attended.

The pool area is very clean, spacious and a definite sun trap although the sun vanishes behind one of the overlooking hotel blocks at one point during the afternoon.

All in all then, about the best place I've ever stayed in Benidorm and not a single major complaint in sight.

I'd definitely go back tomorrow if I could.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
12  Thank AskTheDust
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Just a few words to try to understand what happening in the Regente.
I´ve been coming to the regente since 1979, untill i bought my little villa in torrevieja 1999 ( more than 20 years at the regente) I still have friends in the hotel (staff, clients ...) my family keeps going there ( and they got ill too) so i found out that this problem its been there since winter 2006. its amazing!!!! and portland keep sending people there???? Last week i got an email from a friend who stayed there and someone told him that since the new manager arrived many things have changed.
The staff has been reduced cleaners (they dont have time to clean rooms and desinfect the ones that they have the "bug", waiters (you dont get served anymore on tables, you have to go colect your drink at the bar just like the pub), the food is "nice"(hamburgers,chips, saussages and CHIPS)and the rest is frozen .
My friend found that the new manager stopped the cleaning handwipes in the rstaurant, then he stopped using bleech to clean toilets and of course reduce the number of cleaners.
So now we can make an idea of whats happening there.

Most of the staff is the same that allways so i only cansay that they where very friendly, the hotel has made plenty work to improve services,(toilets, reception area, pool, restaurant buffett..) so if they solve the problem,(and stop thinking only in profits) it will be a great hotel again. As it used to be years ago.

bye

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jmorrison
Reviewed October 29, 2007

i stayed at the regente hotel and a member of my party had diaria but no sickness he had to have doctor out to him who gave him medication on returning home he still didnt feel well so went to his own gp who told him its looks like you have food poisoning even thow the food to use tasted lovely it is ouious not since i return home i havent felt well and cant stop shacking i havent eaten anythink at home since i returned as i just dont feel right if anyone knows what this bug was could they please send a review anythanks packham and party

Stayed: October 2007