“OK and central, but could be very good or excellent with some tweaks.”

Hotel Marina Resort Benidorm
Ranked #77 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I stayed at the Marina to celebrate my birthday. My mother had stayed there earlier in the year and said how good it was. I have stayed all over Benidorm in the past and am well aware of what to expect. I feel the Marina is slipping down from a good four star to an average 3 star hotel, in my opinion anyway. I have already been to the Pueblo and Presidente this year for short break's and on both visits we frequented the lovely Secret Fountain bar which adjoins the hotel. We thought it would be great to stay at the Marina next time as we liked the look of the hotel and its great location.

We arrived on a Monday evening and were checked in to our rooms very speedily by cheerful reception staff. My room was on the 17th floor which is the top floor of the hotel, only the gym is any higher. Be aware that if you are given a room which has 01 or 18 as its last two digits, this room will not have a balcony. The rooms on the same floor as reception also do not. My mother was given one of the rooms without balcony and although the room was nice and large with big picture windows and seperate seating area, they felt it was not what they expected and it was not until the next day they got moved to another room with balcony.

The rooms are a good size, they have two double beds and still plenty of room. The furniture is a little dark and dated but the beds are comfortable. Good black out curtains and sliding patio doors keep out the sun and some noise. However even at 6am you can still hear the thump, thump of the music from the very nearby strip. The balcony's are very small and have glass panelling which isn't good if you are at all afraid of heights as you do feel like you are perched on a ledge. good views of the pool and also the sea are available to about 90% of rooms here. A stocked mini-bar was in the room, it was 2 euros's for a drink of soft drink, water or beer. TV had Sky News, Eurosport and True Movies in English. Plenty of wardrobe and drawer storage. Coathangers are the fixed type and we had enough for ourselves. Bathroom nicely tiled, large bath with shower over (water VERY hot!), bidet, toilet and sink with complimentary shampoo and gel's, shower-cap and comb provided, as well as two glass tumblers. There was an internal hardwood door between the door into the room and the sleeping area itself, which was good for providing extra protection from noise in the corridor at night. The best thing about the room was the excellent aircondtioning, very effective and quiet.

The lifts (we had four available to us) are slow and can stop at every floor during meal times, but this has to be expected, but it became annoying stopping even on the second floor as you made your way down. I did walk the 17 floors once, but would not advise it. The restaurant is below the main level of the hotel. Breakfast is served at 0800-1000, and I thought it was the best meal of the day. Delicious well cooked sausages and tasty hash-browns (which I love) and the eggs differed each day. Poached, scrambled, fried. What is missing from here is a show cooking area where perhaps eggs are cooked to order, I have had this in 3* hotels in the past and it would have been nice just to have an omelette instead of a full breakfast. The staff are fairly busy but as a plus point to this hotel they are very cheerful. As we were staying half-board we ate our evening meal between 1930-21:30. Drinks to have with your meal can be purchased when you enter. I found the evening meal to be lacking much in the way of choice and flavour. A meat, a fish and usually something else for vegetarians, like rice and pasta. The soup's were sort of watery looking and lacked taste, the desserts were just tasteless cakes with lots of air-ated foamy cream on them, or tasteless jelly, though the orange one tasted land smelled like a cat may have had a tinkle in it, no joke!

I feel the Marina is suited to the older Spanish clientele who are there in a abundance, and I don't begrudge them, it's thier country and they are entitled to their holidays too. some Welsh holidaymakers referred to them in the lift one day as "THE LEMON SUCKERS" referring to thier expession. Perhaps they just don't want to share thier hotel with loud and leery looking women. I never saw much rudeness from the Spanish to be honest, you are guest's in thier country and you need to remember that.

I did not watch any of the hotel entertainment. I used the Secret Fountain bar and the Marina corner bar which are not expensive and have a better feel than the surrounding louder more brash bars occupied by lareg same sex groups. The pool at the hotel was used only once, it was freezing cold. Ladders need to be used to access the swimming pool, I usually prefer steps but that is as I have said just a preference. There is a seperate childrens area which is quite large but I feel the pool and its lay out is a bit dated, and could do with sprucing up. Maybe the next time the hotel has an overhaul.

In this age I would also expect Wi-fi to be available across the hotel, especially a four star. Wi-fi was available only in reception and is chargeable at 1 euro an hour.

Can't fault the location, in the middle of everything, and close to the fantastic Levante beach, good access for disabled and scooter friendly, I just feel the food and some of the facilities could do with an update to keep up with competion in the area. I'd certainly return, it was not a bad hotel, but would not make it my first choice.

Room Tip: Avoid the very first floor, and request a balcony, it is not plainly obvious that some rooms do not...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank TandWtraveller
Write a ReviewReviews (1,614)

Reviewed September 22, 2011

very nice hotel in a superb position for the beach and places to eat, bad points, boom boom boom untill 8.00am from cafe benidorm and other bars, so if you like your sleep remember this, also i would put it as a 3 star plus and not a 4, the staff are excellent and always helpful

Room Tip: the top floor may be quieter
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank fishnotts
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Just back from 11 night stay at the Marina we had a great time. Rooms very clean breakfast was excellant although evening meal could do with more choice what we had was good. Plenty of sun loungers round pool. Bar areas were all lovely although the secret fountain roof top bar was the best.... with afternoon and evening entertainment and very reasonable bar prices you didnt need to stray far from the hotel from Elvis to Mr Al Washington and the very talented old skool all tastes were met, along with the excellant staff who smiled their way through very hot very busy days made each day great. Lovely bar snacks as well.... The hotel overall is a great standard.

Room Tip: With 17 floors if you dont like heights or have walking disability e mail before you go for lower fl...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Heather J
Reviewed September 6, 2011

rainbow bar 2 min.. braw for a beer. pool and pool bar braw..been to benidorm and stead at lots of hotels.. this is the best that we have been to.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank dave755
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Hotel was great ,food was good,but need more choice for kids.Rooms were great,cleaned every day.The pool was great my daughter Kayla had a ball here.The staff were excellent with my daughter.We will be booking up for next year.Great 2 weeks hoilday we had here.Arlene & Gary & Kayla.from Scotland.

Room Tip: Pool view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Arlene W
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Whilst on the transfer shuttle bus we stopped off at some very shabby looking run down hotels, this was not the case when arriving here at marina :) very pleased with first impressions clean modern looking bit fancy even for a cheap last min get away. we arrived a little early and our room was still being cleaned not a problem tho as we started to soak up the sun plenty of tables and chairs to grab a drink or toastie for lunch pool bar wasnt opened but then again wasnt needed as it wasnt busy and the main bar was a 10 second walk away! very reasonable prices would reccomend the cocktails staff all work very hard and remember your order, free nibble nuts and crisps all day when you buy drinks and cocktails seemed to be even discounted when you give waitress a couple euros tip which was fab! lovley pool area plenty of sundbeds all day. Great rooftop terrace bar to the left of the hotel saw an elvis tribute ect singing throughout the day music played by the pool which some may not like but myself and mum enjoyed it. Short walk to the beach front few nice little shops close by. PLenty of places to eat drink and evening entertainment. We found a lot of older couples staying in the hotel who enjoyed the evening entertainment of dancing and singing but if you want the usual husstle and busstle then u just head 2 mins down the road. Breakfast was fine something for everyone espcially for the price you cant complain. Rooms were very clean and tidy corridors kept clean. Deffo would go back without a doubt.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Leanna R
Reviewed August 29, 2011

great location nice roms food of good standard & very friendly staff. I love the secret garden bar & the prices are reasonable' i do non activity Holidays so cant give any advice on that aspect.. I will certatinly go back to the Marina Hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family