“Sol Pelicanos” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
Newport -Trefdraeth, United Kingdom
“Sol Pelicanos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

just returned from a delightful stay at the pelicanos . Food was excellent with plenty of variety to keep my fussy wife happy , staff friendly and helpful . Very impressed with the pool area , once the wife tried it , could not get her to leave hotel .Entertainment was good family fun with the children involved in the shows . rooms were on the small side but clean and adequate with good beds ,on 14th floor so quiet at night with air con that worked . A I is the best way with bar prices on the expensive side and snack bar by pool a temptation. A good holiday

Cleanliness
1 Thank ken y
Mar_SolPel, Mar Sierra – E-Guest Experience Manager at Sol Pelicanos Ocas, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Hi KenY, we feel thrilled to read such kind words you dedicate to us, because this is a reward to our daily effort to make our guests enjoy their holidays and feel like at home. Thank you so much for choosing Sol Pelícanos Ocas and for sharing your opinion here with other travellers. We are looking forward to seeing you again in a near future. Best regards, Mar Sierra – E-Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,723)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Very nice , but ladies watch out for pick pockets . There's a lot of them about .the rooms are very basic but clean , the food is very good .Very handy for night life . We are going back for Christmas & new year this year .

Room Tip: Rooms overlook the pool
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 559Chris
Mar_SolPel, Mar Sierra, E-Guest Experience Manager at Sol Pelicanos Ocas, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear 559Chris, thank you for choosing Sol Pelícanos Ocas to enjoy your holidays in Benidorm and also for taking a moment to share in this site your personal opinion with other travellers. We work hard every day to offer our guests the best services and words like yours tell us that we are working in the correct way. We look forward to your next stay in Christmas!. Kind regards, Mar Sierra, E-Guest Experience Manager
Norfolk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Very, very happy with just about everything. I was a little worried this year (we have stayed twice before) as there are multiple reports of thefts taking place in the Hotel on this site but we didn't experience anything like that. My wife left her (empty) Prada handbag in the wardrobe for the duration of our 15 night stay and she still owns it, which goes to prove that these thefts are not normal behaviour in the Hotel. TBH the people reporting thefts on this site can't spell or form a sentance so maybe there's some confusion?

Plus points....breakfast was amazing, the pool was amazing (especially the Sheriff who did a great job in securing the sunbeds for those people actually intendeing to use them) and the location is great in Benidorm.

Negative points.....the decor and furniture in the "Pelicanos" is really (really) dated now and needs a boot up the backiside! I emailed the hotel a week before our arrival and asked if we could be upgraded to the "Ocas" (paying extra for this if needed) and I'm still awaiting a reply, I guess the answer is "NO".

Overall a great place to have a holiday and we will be back next year without a doubt.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

2 Thank T B
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

just back from So; Pelicanos after 10 days. Pool area was fab rooms are very basic not even a kettle. Fridge has to be hired seperately as well, every penny is squeezed out of your purse. Right opposite Hotel the local prostitutes walk the streets, my husband was walking a bit in front of me and got propositioned, every night we saw young guys getting picked up, not really safe . Although the Hotel was clean but very very basic

Room Tip: pool view is nice
5 Thank Jacqui D
S.Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our first time in Benidorm & the only place we wanted to stay was " the hotel off the telly " so although the room was a bit small , the rest of the hotel definitely made up for it.

We stayed on a half board basis & the food was always great... it did sometimes get a bit repetitive but there was always plenty of choice. Drinks at the hotel was more expensive than outside but that is to be expected with any hotel. Entertainment was geared more towards the kids...but hey this is Beni & there's ALWAYS plenty going on outside. We found lots of great bars & restaurants & you could eat as cheaply or as expensively as you wanted.

The hotel is in a great location, close to shops, bars & the beach & of course it does boast the BEST pool in Benidorm. Although we travelled as a couple there did seem lots going on for the kids both day & night.

There were a few stag & hen parties there but to be honest they were very well behaved & we rarely heard any late night noise.

All in all I loved Benidorm, it has something for Everyone & I would certainly stay in this hotel again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
3 Thank twinklebelle
Newcastle And Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

8th to 15th July. Stayed "All Inclusive". Great, except last day. We are 'MeliaRewards' silver card holders and as such thought, great, we don't need to check out till 2pm. We were being picked up at 4:20pm by 'ABAS' coaches (Transfers provided free of charge by the Pelicanos) for our transfer to Alicante airport.
So I thought, great, all inclusive finishes at 12 noon, so we'll have breakfast, then spend the rest of the morning relaxing by the pool. Then, at 10:30 when the pool bar opens I'll get a couple of drinks for my self and my wife and sit a bit longer by the pool, later at 11:30 or so we'd go to the pool snack bar, get something to eat, then off to our room, pack our bags, have a shower and go to check out at 2pm, We'd then spend the last hour or so in the air conditioned hotel lobby.

That's when things went wrong!

At breakfast, they remove your 'AI' wristband. I knew this would happen and was told, just tell them your room number to continue with your All Inclusive.
At 10:30, I went to the pool bar, ordered a beer for myself and a water for my wife, the barman filled the drinks then asked for money, I said All Inclusive and told him our room number. He said I must have a ticket.
What ticket, I replied.
He said a ticket with your room number on.
I said, I wasn't told this when we checked in. Anyway, he wouldn't give me the drinks.
So off I went to the other side of the pool to get the key off my wife, then off up to our room on the 14th floor to try and find this ticket.
Eventually after much searching, I found two slips with our room number on, which were given to us when we checked in.
They are written in Spanish and no one said that they may need to be produced at any stage of our stay.
Went back to the bar, the barman said no good, they need to be stamped by reception. I said why didn't they stamp them on arrival if they'd be needed after our wrist bands were removed. So off I went to reception. Had to go through all the rig-ma-roll of what happened, then there was a mini conference between reception staff, phone calls were made and I was told, go back to the pool bar and I would be served. By now it was 11:15 and all inclusive finished at 12. When I got back, the barman had a drink filled ready for me and apologized.
We thought we'd better get something from the snack bar before our All Inclusive time was up, so we did that. I then told my wife that I was going to make a complaint about this as our whole morning had been ruined. So off I went back to reception and asked for a complaint form.
The girl at reception was quite shocked by this and asked "What's wrong"? I told her and she toddled off and brought her manager.
The manager said All Inclusive really finishes after breakfast which was when most guests check out and that they just allow it to continue till noon. I pointed out that ours was an evening flight and that all they're literature says 12 noon.
I further mentioned the 2pm check-out. He said that didn't apply at this hotel.
Again I pointed out my Melia silver card said ALL MELIA HOTELS. Not All Melia hotels except the Sol Pelicanos.
Now don't get me wrong, he was a very pleasant and amiable guy. So after a bit humming and hawing, he asked what he could do to make things right. I said well after all the running around, I'd like another drink. He said OK. Then I mentioned the room. he said that it would be OK and said that we could keep our room till 3pm, which gave us more time to relax. This guy even came back to the pool with me to make sure everything would be OK. Excellent.

Apart from this little episode which the manager bent over backwards to correct, this is an excellent hotel, spotless and well appointed. The meals are good, entertainment good, especially for the kids. The girls and guys who run the kids club and the pool activities are always cheerful and untiring. (They must have half a dozen Weetabix every morning for breakfast). "The Lion King" is a MUST SEE. They get all the kids to take part.
How they get them to play their part without any rehearsal is simply amazing.

We were in room 1421 (Top floor) excellent view of the lagoon pool and no noise whatsoever.
I assume all floors - rooms 16 to beyond room 21 will give you this view.

In the high season, towels are removed from sunbeds if left unoccupied after an hour. They can be collected without any hassle from the first aid station by the small pool.

There's no real rush for sunbeds, but the ones under the sun canopies always go first. We had no problems getting one even as late as 10:15.

People have mentioned changing money. The best place by far is "Sheila's Money Exchange" in the indoor market just about 50 yards from the Pelicanos. Don't forget, you'll need your passport. You only need it once as she'll give you a card to show if you need to change anymore cash later.

Haven't stayed in the Ocas but can't praise this hotel enough. excellent.
Enjoy your holiday in the Sol Pelicanos.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms 1416 to 1421 are quiet with a good lagoon pool view. 1422 and beyond pool may appear...
1 Thank David H
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon when we arrived we were put in ocus because there was not any room on the first floor in pelicanos where we were supposed to be originally due to the filming of benidorm as the crew had occupied all the rooms.
When checked in we was told our room wasn't ready so we had to leave our luggage at reception and go out for hour and half until room was ready.
When we finally got to our room there was no welcome pack for being on honeymoon as was promised and to top things off when we went to eat in the dinning room we were served with raw meat and uncooked chips when we complained to the reception they just ignored us . This got even worse as the holiday went on in the end we were forced to eat out even though were all inclusive.
After paying six thousand for four of us to go there we would never return to the hotel again.
We feel we can't even rate it .

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank brad d
Mar_SolPel, Mar Sierra, E-Guest Experience Manager at Sol Pelicanos Ocas, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Dear brad d, many thanks for having chosen Sol Pelicanos Ocas to celebrate your honeymoon and above all we send you our sincerest apologizes for not having been able to achieve your expectations. Sometimes, depending on hotel availability we upgrade customers travelling in special celebrations to our recently refurbished rooms at Ocas, unfortunately in your case what was supposed to be a good detail from the hotel with you, it was not. In relation to our food, I can assure you that we have very strict daily controls of our cooking procedures, meeting all the requirements of Spanish and European Authorities in matter of Health and Safety, but of course we pass on your comment to our cooking department to be taken into account. We really regret to read we did not manage to meet your satisfaction, we continue working hard to improve our services so if you decide to return, do not hesitate to contact me on your next arrival as I would like to make a personalized monitoring of your stay among us, as I am sure you are going to change your mind about us. Best regards, Mar Sierra, E-Guest Experience Manager