“Poor leadership & lack of connectivity with tourists is endemic throughout”
Review of Melia Benidorm

Melia Benidorm
Ranked #52 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Arrived at Melia checked in went smooth and our request for a lower floor was met. However, no electric would work and this was 10.30pm. A call to reception produced within 5 minutes a porter who checked the fuse box. He left and returned with card access to room next door. I would not usually be bothered too much about this if were not for other minor niggles that build up into incompetence, I would now question why the Maid did not notice ‘no electric’

The rooms are spacious with a good view over the pool. The pool is great and set in nice gardens where you can sit in shade of the palm trees or enjoy full sun. Plenty of sun beds but you need to be up at the crack of dawn for the prime spots at the side of the pool.

Next day maid forgot to replenish the toilet roll and as time went on you realised this was a necessity of your stay. A call to reception produced a couple of rolls within ten minutes.

Next day the maid forgot to replace the towels and toilet rolls, guess what a call to reception…..

Heavy rain fall followed and this produced a sewage smell from the bathroom, we were on floor one, a flush of the toilet and a couple of minutes of ‘taps on’ cleared the air. I put this down to the rain. As we did also to the leaky roof in main reception area.

We didn’t find the dust under the bed until the last day when you have a check under there when packing to make sure you’ve not left anything.

First impressions of Restaurant was ‘Looks like a café’ no table cloths, just a place mat. Not to worry though, as you get acclimatised you pull out the positives of the experience – think of all that washing that’s not necessary, lets ‘save the planet’.

We soon found the plate and glasses were not cleaned to a high standard. I saw tourists searching for clean warm plates using palms, sometimes the back of the hand, we had lipstick on glass on one occasion and orange bits stuck to the sides on another.

Staff not trained in basic hygiene. I witnessed a shortage of cups and tea spoons, waiter came and sorted this carrying cups and then produced spoons from his trouser pocket. Same waiter wiping tables with a blue cloth then putting same into his pocket. Another Waiter wiping tables with a white cloth then polishing cutlery with same cloth. It now becomes apparent why there is a need for a good supply of toilet roll, which appeared to be in short supply.

Food – good selection no complaints other than the ‘Italian section’ the positive is there is a small micro wave to warm your meal if it’s cool, which it was. The bolognaise sauce had little meat. The cannelloni was stuffed with what I can best describe as cheap sausage roll meat, bland and tasteless. The staff were miserable and appeared either 1. Not to like their job or 2. Not to like tourists or 3.Over worked and underpaid, we couldn’t make our mind up which.

Toilet facilities around the hotel were clean with exception of the ‘cafeteria’ bar which were a disgrace, lack of attention here by someone.

Entertainment at night was embarrassing, the ‘Animation Staff’ could speak English but once on a mike you just could not understand what was being said, the strong Spanish accent made everything inaudible.

During our stay there was a wedding and on another day a corporate event, we the tourist were most definitely side lined during this, we the tourist were pushed into the extremities of the hotel and felt ‘you were in the way’.

This is the longest and most negative review I have ever given; I feel the blame lies with the management of the hotel who are just so out of touch with the ‘coal face’. A lack of leadership and lack of connectivity with tourists is endemic throughout the entire staff with the odd exception; an example of bar staff that did connect and made effort was Alejandro who should be promoted to at least a ‘Team Leader’.

There are mixed reviews on this hotel every one of us sees life through a different lens. We cannot recommend this hotel at all, give it a try but pack a few toilet rolls.

Room Tip: Floors 1 to 4 appear to be prime location if you can manage without a sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank W0ody

Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was our second visit to the Melia two Septembers in a row. We loved it the first time and couldn't bare going to a hotel else where that did not live up the Melia. First time we went we had an issue with our loo and safe and they were both fixed in a matter of minutes. This holiday we had no problems at all other than coming home 1/2 a stone heavier due to the All Inclusive!! all the staff are friendly and speak good english, the pools are glorious, the grounds take you away out of the concret of Benidorm and into a tropical paradise. The food is fabulous with masses of choice and the bar choice (and measures!) are brilliant. No complaints what so ever. Its a 10min walk off the main road through Beni but this is a bonus as you are away from the roudiness of Stags & Hens at the weekends. Would highly reccomend this hotel and will be back again.

Room Tip: High floors could be very high! I don't like lifts, floors 1-4 are accessed via a glass lift fro...
2  Thank Shoequeen1983
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Having read a good number of reviews we decided that there was a good enough spread of opinion to give the Melia a go. We know Benidorm well normally staying in the Ambassador Playa so were happy with the location even though it is a bit further out.

We booked through Jet 2 Holidays from East Midlands. The flight was perfect however the austerity measures in Spain appear to be taking their toll as the coach drivers are now staying off the motorway presumably to avoid paying the tolls. Adding up the airport waiting, coach journey and drop offs (the Melia is virtually the last drop off) we were on the coach longer than the plane!

On arrival the reception hall was amazing however the reception desk was clearly undermanned and we had a further 40 minute wait before getting to our room. Reading previous reviews on Tripadvisor we knew that the floor to avoid was the 5th due to the solar water panels. No prizes for guessing which floor we were allocated, with no prospect of being moved because the hotel was full? Be warned, you have no view of the resort and no view of the pool from the 5th floor. Talking to a few others on the 5th floor it did appear that this floor was reserved for UK patrons. I did hire a safety deposit box (€1.50/day + €10 deposit) and paid for WIFI (€12) which was useful for calling home, checking flights, online check-in etc.

Previous reviews also suggested the hotel looks after local guests better than those from the UK. Other than the room on the 5th floor I didn’t see any obvious evidence of this although it was fair to say that the assistance offered on the 2 occasions I had reason to visit reception were met with a slightly negative response. The assistance trying to obtain details for the holiday rep to confirm our coach pick up time was best described as useless.

The restaurant left a lot to be desired and is seriously in need of a visible manager. The crockery and cutlery were always dirty, so be prepared to spend time searching for clean ones, areas were closed so staff got upset with you despite there being no signs evident, the plate heating system is primitive (a fan heater) so take care not to burn your hands. I always like to try foreign food (we are in their country after all) however the visual appeal just wasn’t there in the Melia, everything looked like it was served at the previous meal and just reheated. I did enjoy the Salad bar though. Unfortunately 3 days into our holiday I took ill with what can best be described as travellers diarrhoea which wiped out the rest of my holiday and then on day 5 my wife took ill also. We didn’t eat anywhere else and don’t drink a lot of alcohol so draw your own conclusions about the root cause. We also found a couple of guests in need of our Imodium Plus whilst waiting in front of the hotel for the coach back to the airport.

The rooms were not particularly clean however I cannot comment too much as we were in the room ill from day 3 so had the do not disturb sign hanging on the door. This was the first ever holiday when I have not tipped the cleaner. One of our chairs on the balcony was broken and we didn’t manage to get it replaced during our stay.

The pool area is lovely and I personally like the shade the trees give as I’m not a sunbather but do like to have some come and go whilst reading a good book.

As we like to walk we went out and about every night so cannot comment on the entertainment other than to say when we were confined to our room in the evenings it was loud from the 5th floor.

The Melia may well be a 4* in Spain however it would not be in the UK and personally I rate the Ambassador far better.

Personally, I won’t be going back to the Melia but ultimately it’s your choice if you want to try it.

Room Tip: Above the 5th floor
2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed October 7, 2012

really enjoyed the whole experience, all of the bar staff were exceptionally friendly and their english was good, the room was clean and a good size, dining room was very busy but the choice of food was very good, on Saturday fresh prawns and steak, I would definately recommend it, I was on 6th floor would imagine if on a higher floor the view would be better view

Room Tip: I would think higher rooms have best view I was on 6th floor had a pretty good view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Margaret J
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Before anyone comes on and says "I can't understand all the bad reviews", I am glad that you enjoyed your time here but I can only comment on my own personal experience of this hotel. The hotel definitely does LOOK the part as you can see from the pictures, and the pool area is one of the most impressive I've ever seen although the majority of the sunloungers were broken.

THE ROOM:

1) First impressions count. As soon as we checked into the hotel we went to our room and the sofa chair that was in our room was filthy with dust. When you hit it with your hand, you could see all of the dust come up.
2) There is a sign on the balcony window asking you not to hang towels or clothes over the balcony so that it doesn't take away from the look of the hotel - don't have a problem with this but why was a clothes horse not provided in this case? We had to hang our towels and clothes over the chairs.
3) HIRE THE SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX. It only costs a couple of euros per day plus 10euro deposit. We came home from a night out to find that our room door was ajar. I gave the hotel the benefit of the doubt as we had had a few drinks before leaving so I thought "maybe we didn't close it properly". I was wrong, because a couple of nights after this (completely sober and double-checking the door was definitely shut properly), we went down to watch the nights entertainment and came back up at midnight to find our room door lying slightly open again. We hadn't had anything to drink this time and we both checked that the door was closed when we left our room. It's a bit of a mystery and so far we haven't discovered anything being stolen, but I am glad that I always hire the safety deposit box. Either someone with a key has been in our room, or there is a fault with the door and it has opened itself.

THE POOL AREA:

1) Very impressive but most sunloungers were broken so if you want a good one then you'll need to be down for about 7am with the rest of the sad people that like to get up early solely for this reason.

ENTERTAINMENT:

1) Good points - David, Roberto and the other lady who was part of the entertainment staff were all fantastic. They kept their enthusiasm while the vast majority of the guests didn't have any. The best entertainment on offer at this hotel is the Karaoke which was on on our last night. We still enjoyed it even if nobody else wanted to sing and this was the only night of entertainment which we enjoyed.
2) The rest of the entertainment was absolutely terrible and painful to watch. No disrespect to the guys on the keyboards who were on every night, as I am sure they are good at what they do, but everything was aimed at older Spanish people. Every single song was sung in spanish and there wasn't even any English translation between songs at all. We were all-inclusive so we liked to have a few drinks in the hotel before heading out, but the entertainment was absolute torture and painful to sit through.
3) This isn't a complaint about the hotel itself but more against the other guests. Most nights there would be a half-hour slot where the entertainers would get people from the crowd to play a game to win a bottle of champagne. Usually they would get a group of maybe 5 or 6 people to play, but there was one night where only ONE person went up on stage (I had already done my stint the previous night by the way). There was a large crowd on this night and a lot of new arrivals, and out of every person there only one person got up despite the best efforts of the entertainers who went around every single table asking people to join in. The game had to be cancelled and they just played music instead. We felt embarrassed for them and it was really awkward to sit through. We decided to leave the hotel for the night as the other people there clearly weren't there to have a good time and were bringing us down.

THE FOOD AND DRINK:

1) I quite enjoyed the food but it was mainly the same things every night. The only thing that they would vary now and again was the meat and fish. My girlfriend is vegetarian so there wasn't a lot of choice for her.
2) Most of the restaurant staff were really nice, but there was one or two of them who looked absolutely miserable the entire week that we stayed here. I realise that they work long hours, but a smile doesn't cost anything and they shouldn't be in front of customers every day if their face is tripping them the whole time.
3) An honourable mention to Joel and the guy with the glasses who works in the upstairs bar who were really friendly, the rest of the bar staff could learn something from them.
4) We were all-inclusive and when my girlfriend was asking for a coke light, she was given a small glass each time whereas other all-inclusive hotels would give you the bottle.
5) One thing that annoyed me was that when I asked for a pint of lager (rather than the small beer they automatically give you), the pint glass always seemed to be taken straight out of the dishwasher and was absolutely roasting.

MY MAIN CONCERN ABOUT THIS HOTEL

The thing that bothered me most about this hotel was the cleanliness of the cutlery and plates in the restaurant. Nearly every time I went to get a plate, I would have to try 3 or 4 plates before I could find a clean one. Stains wouldn't bother me, there was actual bits of food stuck to the plates as they hadn't been washed properly. The same applied to the glasses which were always filthy! One day my girlfriend ordered a coke and when the waitress brought it out to her, it had pieces of orange juice floating about in it which someone had probably used at breakfast that day, I had to ask them for another one. The glasses and plates were very dirty and this was my biggest gripe. It's maybe not a coincidence that we both had coldsores when we returned.

OVERALL

We made the most of our holiday and still enjoyed ourselves but I feel that this hotel could be a lot better. I would not recommend this hotel, instead I would recommend the Levante Club Hotel and Spa which is right next door as this was far superior. We would return to the Levante Club but would not return to the Melia. Also, I've never been to the Flamingo Oasis but heard great reviews about that too. We had a great holiday but we will know next time not to come to the Melia. If you are young and looking to enjoy yourself then do not come to this hotel.

Paul and Michelle, Glasgow.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul M
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

My wife, twin boys and I have just come home from a fantastic 10 day break at the melia benidorm.
I can't belive some of the poor reviews people have written recently, we found all of the staff to be excellent with most going out of their way to help us and being very friendly.
We were all inclusive so ate at the hotel most meal times. The food wasn't of restaurant standard but come on let's be realistic they are catering for a huge amount of people all wanting to eat at the same time and all with different tastes. There was plenty of choice and we always found something satisfying to eat. Again we found the restaurant staff friendly and more then willing to help.

The pools were excellent and we used them daily including the spa.

Overall we were entirely satisfied with our stay.

I really am struggling to see why there are so many negative comments recently maybe the people who wrote these comments need to go on holiday with a view to having a nice, fun and relaxing time rather spending their entire holiday picking fault and complaining.

To summarise you are going to a 4star Mediterranean hotel not the London Hilton. Relax and enjoy yourselves!!!.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Leoashley
Reviewed October 3, 2012

just returned from 10 day stay at the Melia and thought I would share my views and get it out of my system.This was my husbands first visit to Benidorm and we chose to go here as it looked so nice on the web.We were on the 15th floor and the room was very nice but as the days went on
we were dissapointed in the general cleaning of the room,under the bed was never cleaned,the dust looks as if it has been there for months and in the toilet the bidet has a stain on it which was still there when we left today.
In the dining room ,although the food was very good, it was like a military exercise before you could sit down and enjoy it.The tables are so close together you can hardly move between them
and then you are told you can only sit in certain areas..Not a table cloth in site,no condiment dishes only small paper satchets like you get in Mc Donalds.If you were having bread then you had to go on the hunt and find this is in the middle section beside the hot plate,although it is in a chill cabinet, it would be more practical to have it near the bread section.
Now to the pool area.Too many trees that keep the sun out, and the beds are past the sell by date,Thats if you can get one after 8am,some folk were down before sunrise and then did not appear until after lunchtime ,which is a bit annoying.
I can only say it was not what we were expecting and did not appeal to us and we would not recommend this hotel to friends nor enemies for that matter.

Room Tip: high floors are good .no noise and the lifts are very regular
3  Thank bellablueGlasgow