“Fantastic hide away”

Ranked #10 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Benidorm
Ballybogy, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hide away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Loved this small hideaway from the (big) chain of hotels
Room was all anyone would ask for with the added bonus of free wi-fi.
Bar downstairs with friendly staff and very helpful if for direction or Anything else.
Food is to die for, steak cheap and first class. Maybe should keep this too myself but cheap and cheerful with close to beach, back streets of benidorm, why would anybody need anything more that the irati????

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Partner and I were looking for place to stay in Old town area of Benidorm.
Hostal Iratis seemed to have some good reviews on Tripadvisor so we went ahead and booked via Booking.com.

Once we had booked we realized that the hostal appeared to have twin and double rooms and a previous reviewer had mentioned noise from the rear due to night club closeby. So i decided to write a pleasant email via the hostal website asking if it was possible to have a double room at the front, possibly 1st floor as these seemed to have small balconies. I did this on the basis that if you don't ask, you don't get!
Well first email - no reply.
So about 2 weeks later i sent a second request again politely asking if my request could be considered.... no reply.

Ok, well i thought, maybe the hostal isn't too much into replying but takes requests into account.

We then arrived at the hostal which is situated very centrally in the old town area and were allocated a room on the second floor at the front of the building.
On opening the door i immediately noticed we had twin beds but decided we could push them together and maybe this would suffice.
We then unpacked and found that the large sliding doors in the room were jammed shut and required extreme physical effort to open half way. As a result we could not use the wardrobe and drawers properly. I went to the reception and a member of staff came to try but also failed. She then told me we would have to wait till around 2pm for someone else to take a look.
Around 2pm someone else came and after some effort managed to dismantle a large metal pole in the wardrobe allowing the double doors to be moved...but only with some physical strength and endeavor. The large metal pole was placed in a vertical position next to the TV where it remained throughout our stay. The wardrobe's doors were never fixed satisfactorily throughout our stay.

The bedroom was on the small side with no desk or table to use other than the small bed lamp.
There was one small black plastic chair which stood rather forlornly below the TV.
On the plus side there was free air conditioning and wifi (intermittent) but usable. There was also a good size fridge and a flat screen TV which we did not use..

BUT......... A major concern to me was that there was no safe deposit box or place to keep valuables. I asked about this and was told that they did not have them!
Like many travelers these days we arrived with smartphones, laptops, cameras, passports and of course money and bank cards To have no safe or deposit box is in my view totally unacceptable.
To be fair very reluctantly we left valuables in a locked suitcase and all was well but I was not at all happy as if anything had been stolen our travel insurance would have been void.
To me this one thing alone makes a return visit a non starter.

The bathroom was very modern in contrast to the bedroom which was not. There is a shower unit that is something like it should be in a Hollywood movie - most bizarre. It has its own lights, controls, radio and jets that come from all angles. This should be good but to me it took ages to work out how to use the thing...no instructions are offered! I almost both scalded myself and got hypothermia whilst trying to work out which jet needed to go where. The rest of the bathroom is functional but lacking in places to put items, like ledges.

The rooms windows open with a view of the building opposite and should be regarded with great care if you have children or a few beers too many - they open wide and there is little to prevent you falling out.

Breakfast which is provided is ok but lacking in choice. There are croissants and toasted baguettes with tea, coffee and orange juice. That is it.
The first morning we went down there were no croissants as they had run out.
The rest of our stay the breakfast was ok but some simple fruits or alternatives would have made it more interesting. Also don;t ask for more! My partner requested if it was possible to have a croissant and toasted baguette - the answer was No.

I have given an average review which was a difficult decision but i like to try to be fair.
The location is great if you want to be in the Old town. The owners are pleasant and helpful and
the room was cleaned daily and beds changed. The fridge, TV and air con with free wifi are also plus points.
The let down is the lack of safe deposit boxes and the other points i have made. In terms of value for money, we paid around £30 per night for the room. In high insight we would have rather paid more and got a better standard room, a nicer view and somewhere to put our valuables.

Room Tip: First floor front seem to have small balconies
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank seagull9
essex uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just returned from our first stay at hotel Irati lovely position for both the shops and the beach .The room was a good size with plenty of wardrobe space and lots of drawers,full size fridge ,comfy beds and a very powerful shower.The air conditioning was free and the room had free WiFi .The room was serviced every day and we had plenty of clean towels.Although the hotel is in a quieter road it was sometimes quite noisy with bikes and traffic in the earlier hours.The owners were very friendly and if you needed to know where anywhere was they were only too happy to tell you .The breakfast was very nice (the crossants were to die for) Would definitely stay there again !

Room Tip: We stayed at the front didnt see the rooms on the back but saw the attic room which was very nice
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank carol f
Lorca, Murcia, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed here before when it was The Grapevine , and it's just as good. Spacious rooms, comfortable beds, clean bathroom with a lovely shower, although there is nowhere to put your toiletry bag.
Would recommend this b&b for its value for money and it's good location in the old town.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
cleethorpes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Just stayed in the Irati attic room for my stay (should be called a penthouse). First the negatives, there is only one, the stairs are not suitable for elderly or people with walking difficulties, that it !
Now the positives. wow,wow,wow
The attic room is massive and so posh. Open plan Lounge area with TV, full kitchen for cooking with washer included, a fantastic bathroom with power shower and a seperate plush bedroom area.Finally, a large outside sun lounge area.
Bead and breakfast rate includes continental food and the Pizzas are the best in the area.
Free WiFi, Quiet Surroundings
Well done to the owners for this little gem of a hostel and cheap to stay.

Room Tip: First floor room have balconies The attic suite is well worth the extra cost Remember ther are no...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank matrix240166
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

Having stayed in the Grapevine in 2009 I was delighted to see the place reopened as Hostal Irati on our visit to Benidorm last September. We popped in for a drink and paid a €35 deposit for a three day stay in January this year.

The room was adequate although the heating system wasn’t powerful enough to provide sufficient heat at night. The shower was cold and the toilet wouldn’t flush but this was fixed as soon as I reported it. My wife burnt a small hole in the bed cover with the iron so obviously I reported it and offered to pay for the damage. As the cover was the same one as our previous stay in 2009 and it already had a hole in it before our arrival I was a little surprised when Gabriel charged me €30 for a replacement. However, as we had caused the damage I decided to pay up without argument.

Gabriel presented me with a bill for €135, three nights @ €35 plus €30 for the damaged bed cover. When I mentioned that I had already paid a €35 deposit Gabriel said he had no record of it. Fortunately I had a receipt in my wallet which I passed over. Gabriel took the receipt to his wife and asked if it was her handwriting to which she replied “You know it is”. I paid by credit card but his machine stopped working and eventually spewed out a piece of paper appearing to show the transaction had failed. I put the card through again and this time the payment went through successfully.

When I looked at my credit card bill online the following week it showed I had been charged two separate amounts of €100. I rang Gabriel and he promised me an immediate refund. Despite further emails, over two months later I am still waiting for the refund.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jonacco
Deal Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed at the Irati hostel for two weeks in Febuary, and had a very pleasant stay,the owners
Kristin and Gabriel were excellent hosts and nothing was too much trouble for them. the rooms were good value and cleaned every day, the breakfast was filling and the menu was good if you wanted to eat in the hostel, the hostel was also situated in the old town of Benidorm, with the locals tapas bars and beach close by, excellent value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple