“Delicious locally-sourced food, friendly service”
Review of British Larder Suffolk - CLOSED

British Larder Suffolk
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In a picturesque setting on a quiet rural lane, British Larder offers traditional British cuisine with a contemporary edge, and a passion for sourcing superb produce from the Suffolk region. There is outside seating for al fresco dining. Rustic yet modern, the cosy interior at The British Larder restaurant in Suffolk features exposed brickwork, an open fire, wooden beams and an impressive bar. The seasonal British Larder menu uses locally sourced produce wherever possible, and changes on a daily basis, making best use of the fine, fresh ingredients. Sample dishes include sea bass carpaccio with coriander, lime and fennel salad, Orford-Ness lobster and Loch Duart salmon macaroni or Riverside beef with Aspall Cyder roasted shallots, Yorkshire pudding and duck fat roasted potatoes. There is a good selection of wines by the glass and an indulgent dessert menu. Near Woodbridge, The British Larder Suffolk is a fine gastro pub, open 7 days a week.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We went to celebrate my Mum's 88th birthday and it was worth every penny. Crab salad with crab two ways and fresh young salad of broad beans, peas and pea shoots was followed by Gressingham duck or Sutton Hoo chicken - both very well-flavoured and accompanied by plenty of veg in season. Rhubarb Eton Mess was a new idea and very well-executed. An excellent wide-ranging wine list offers plenty of choice of glass sizes, carafes or bottles. Could not fault it!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked here for Sunday lunch to celebrate a birthday. There were four of us plus a baby in her carry seat. I had telephoned ahead to make sure babies were welcome & had been reassured that was fine. We had made a late booking at 2.15 & was a little worried that we would be rushed as last orders for lunch as I was told were 2.30. I need not have worried it was all very relaxed & the service from start to finish was second to none.

Reading the menu we were spoilt for choice & I could honestly have eaten any dish. I had a delicious crab starter served with wasabi & a pea shoot & avocado salad - delicious. The beetroot soup served with a horseradish cream was also yummy. Two of us had roast beef which was served with the usual accompliments but stood way above the usual Sunday roast served in a pub restaurant. Home cooked goose fat roasted potatoes & a huge yorkshire pudding with delicious gravy served on the side. My husband had lamb, two ways, cutlets & slow cooked shoulder which was also delicious, the duck that my daughter in law was served was obviously just as delicious and there were clean plates all round.

Desert was equally delicious with plenty of choice between hot & cold, sticky & sweet & a cheese plate to be proud of.

The menu here is very definitely contemporary British cuisine, very fresh local produce lovingly prepared to display a taste of Suffolk on a plate which is their ethos.

It is a shame we can't keep this place a secret as I can imagine when it is more widely known booking a table may well be difficult.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We recently had lunch here and both agreed that it was one of the best meals we had eaten in many years. The food was absolutely delicious, and beautifully presented. The service by the pleasant and efficient staff was exemplary. What an wonderful find. By chance, we met the two chefs on our way out and the reason for the excellent food was clear. They are both passionate about what they do. Go there, you won't regret it. Joy and Pete.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Visited for my birthday. The food was good but very pricey considering we had to share the restaurant with a very loud hen party. We were sitting very close to other tables they seen to have packed out the seating area with as many tables as they could which I found uncomfortable as you had no privacy in your conversation. The chairs are so uncomfortable that by the end of the evening I had chronic back ache. I will not be back very disappointed considering the hype around this restaurant. To sum up good food uncomfortable and cramped surroundings not worth the money

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Visited this local a number of times now. Food is always very good, far better than most pubs or restaurants you will find locally. However, service is patchy to say the least and toilets seem to lack attention. Worth a visit for the food.