“Cafe Iruna, Pamplona Spain”
Review of Cafe Iruna

Cafe Iruna
Ranked #39 of 557 Restaurants in Pamplona
Cuisines: Spanish
Description: Founded in 1888 by a group of locals, was the first settlement with electricity from Pamplona, "opened to the public on the eve of San Fermin by filling to the porches", say the Chronicles of the time followed year after year, and still is the meeting point of all the locals, and all those foreigners who want to see the local who became world famous writer Ernest Hemingway.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Right next door to the La Perla Hotel, this large cafe is where Hemingway hung out, so you pay a bit more for the history, but the food was okay and a drink on the patio is certainly worth the money.

1  Thank KVA

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Anyone who had read Ernest Hemingway or of him must have been intrigued by the Cafe Iruna in Pamplona. I was no exception and, happily, I was not disappointed. The cafe itself was built in 1888 and is said to have been the first cafe in Pamplona. The decor is very impressive and (I stand to be corrected on this) of that era although it is bashed about a bit through use. I liked the coat hooks on the central pillars inside. The service was a bit mixed. To begin with we tried to get a drink outside so we could look over the square. The few waiters working the outside tables (frontage at a guess about 50 metres) looked stressed and overworked so we went indoors where we were served at the bar at once. The prices for drinks were very reasonable for a historic and city centre establishment though I did end up paying €8.5 for a glass of brandy. (It's your fault, Hemingway!) The food looked typically Spanish bar food with some tapas and simple mains as befits a cafe rather than a restaurant. Will I go there again? I rather think I will - but I will stick to glasses of wine next time as they are the best value.

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We went on a busy Saturday night. Outside was very busy, and we waited ages, but no waiter came. Went inside and wow , the decor is baroque, and served immediately. A must to visit, if in Pamplona.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We wanted to eat in one of the restaurants around the main square , but it was getting cold outside so we chose Cafe Iruna as it had a big inside restaurant which was full of locals . The interior decor was amazing and is obviously the original design dating back to the nineteenth century with very distinctive iron work , chandeliers , etc . I read later that this was in fact a Hemingway hang out .
We chose a Table d'Hote menu , 3 courses for Euro 13.90 incl a full bottle of wine for 2 . The wine was actually quite good , but the food was very basic .
It is worth visiting Cafe Iruna for its character and interior design ..... not the food !

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have visited this wonderful place four times to eat the menu del dia, and plenty of other times for drinks ( you often get a delicious pinchos with a glass of wine if you go directly to the bar.
The lunch doesn't start until 1.15, this maybe the reason the previous reviewer was kept waiting, they are just not in 'lunch mode' behave more like the Spanish when in Spain and you will enjoy it a lot more. The waiters are the fastest I had ever been served by and if you smile they smile back, when you have finished they leave you in peace to stay at the table and digest. Local people come for their break, so they have to eat and go. After our first visit we returned the next day and the waiters were friendly.
The cafe Iruna is worth a visit just for the history of Hemingway's 'The Sun Also Rises' and the wonderful interior, but the menu is a good deal, the rest of the plaza is expensive. We call it 'our' cafe and I found out later a good friend also calls it theirs!