“GREAT food...horrible service”

Ranked #5 of 560 Restaurants in Pamplona
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My friends and I went to this restaurant during the San Fermin festival, after the bullfight. Going into this, we didn't realize exactly how high class the restaurant was. (the reservation was made by someone we had just met, so communication was not really as together as it should have been). Needless to say, we were not dressed for the occasion, but neither were we filthy or drunk and disorderly...most of us were sober and wearing tshirts and jeans. Despite this, the staff did not treat us very well. When my friend and I got up to go to the bathroom, we went to the front to ask where it was...The hostess told us that this was not a bar and we had to leave. Physically BLOCKED us from going back to our seats. We had to get the other woman who had originally seated us to tell the woman we had reservations. Not only that, but they did not bring my friend her cocktail, I had to order my cocktail twice and they still got it wrong, when our entrees came, there was some confusion as to who ordered what (there were various steak dishes and it was hard to tell which was which) and the wait staff did not even attempt to help us figure it out. We ended up having to stand up, go get a menu, and figure it out ourselves.

Despite this, the food was AMAZING. I had the veal with foie gras and it was one of the best meals I've had. The deserts were to DIE for.

Essentially, if you go to this restaurant expect a good meal but frustrating service. I recommend you make sure to look the part, because if you don't you will be treated badly.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I really loved the creative, colorful, meticulously prepared dishes at Europa. Probably the best food in town. However, the atmosphere of this restaurant prevents it from being a must-see place. It's up a flight of stairs next to a hotel check-in counter. It might as well not have any windows and the lights are so bright I felt like I was being interrogated. Certainly not romantic and really lacking charm. Which is ironic, because just outside the door is the charming, energetic, center square of Pamplona.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Went there because it was ranked #1 on Trip Advisor. I wanted to take my Father out for a meal to remember and we got it. The place was empty, cold, and sterile. We were placed in a far back room in the corner where we sat and waited and waited and waited. #1? Then Dad noticed the large gray bug in the wine glass. It was upside down and it's little legs were wiggling around trying to right itself back up. Disgusted, we stood and left after placing a few euros down for the water. When we pointed it out to the staff they didn't seem concerned about it at all. They tried to explain that it must have come from the plant on the table and that they's get us some new glasses. Uh, no thanks, no bueno...Adios!

5  Thank JoeG1969
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I knew nothing of the local cuisine but the matron who tyook care of me suggested several, including a split appetizer of two local dishes (at her suggestion). It was wonderful. This is a full scale, sit down, cloth napkin and tablecloth restaurant. If you want tapas go to La Mandarra. It was wonderful. The restaurant is just off catherdral square. The dining room itself has ~12 tables and is not large so expect an intimate dining experience. Again - wonderful.

1  Thank Roissen
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We had a wonderful meal at this restaurant. The building is so unassuming but it hides a true gem. We opted for the taster menu at 62 Euros each. We savoured every course each of which was beautifully cooked and equally well presented. The wine waiter gave us some excellent advice about the wine, which complemented the meal perfectly. The service was good too. Just to give you an idea our meal included warm lobster salad, succulent, fresh hake with fish sauce and pigeon in red wine sauce. An apperitif, mise en bouche and petit fours with coffee, added a nice touch and what would be expected in a restaurant of this standard. Incidentally there is a set menu too at around 42 Euros which looked good too and includes diffferent wines for each course.
We are cynical Londoners, always wondering whether it's really worth spending this amount on a meal. I can without hesitation say that it was worth every Euro. An excellent dining experience.

2  Thank Milonga