“just average, nice location”

Hotel Castillo de Javier
Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Pamplona
Reviewed January 27, 2014

location was central to all the things we wanted to see. when we arrived it was a bit hard to figure out where the reception is (not on the ground floor, it is a different business). service was fine - not over the top but whenever we needed anything they provided it. our room was basic, but it was clean and nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Castillo de Javier

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We arrived here at 8.30 p.m. having booked it weeks before.The receptionist was out on the stre smoking and chatting to 2 men.We seemed to be an inconvenience to her.When she finally gave me the key and reluctantly told me where the room was I went up in the lift to find a room with a dirty floor and dirty bathroom.There was urine on the toilet seat. I immediately went back downstairs and she was back outside smoking again and chatting.Once again she seemed annoyed to be interrupted. I told her about the room and she asked me to come up with her..I refused as I had by now brought all my bags down again.She went up alone and when she returned told me the room was not dirty and that there was no urine on the toilet seat before I went in!I was shocked at her attitude and told her I would not be staying in this place.I stood outside with my bags waiting for my 2 friends to arrive as they were parking the car.She stood beside me once again smoking and told her 2 male friends everything that had happened. They kept staring at me and I reminded them that I could both speak and understand Spanish.
We found a lovely place on the same street clean,friendly and cheaper

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank joangallagher50
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed one night sharing a small room with another pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago. So space was tight for the two of us.
The hotel was recommended by the tourist office. Abit pricey for the standard.

Room modern, clean and comfortable despite the small space. The staff were friendly and welcoming. Good WIFI reception throughout.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Nice, newly decorated rooms in one of the main streets of old Pamplona. Friendly and helpful staff; lots of information about the city. Very decent rate. You can eat and have breakfast on the ground floor, but we did not.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

great location. stayed here for one night. not much to see in Pamplona when the bulls aren't running. rooms very small... couldn't even open my suitcase between the bed and wall. but it did the job. the windows are extra thick which completely silenced the busy bars below.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We wanted a hotel within walking distance of the running of the bulls. This room fit our purposes perfectly. it was just a few blocks from the run. The room was quaint, comfortable and clean. As we expected during San Fermin, the price was high, as was the noise level. That said, we saw what we came to see, and had a great time. The only thing I would change is that I would bring a pair of ear plugs next time.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs if you want a good night sleep anywhere in Pamplona during San Fermin.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2010

VERY centrally located hotel smack bang in the middle of pamplona. My mother and I shared a twin room here on the last night of our camino trip. The receptionist was very friendly and charged €63 for the twin room. I have heard that the rates are tripled during st Fermin and if I'd paid much more I would have been dissapointed.

On the positive side the room and hotel were clean with all floors served by a lift. The hotel is on one of the main pedestrian streets so there's going to be noise from outside and that is understandable and beyond the control of the hotel. The noise from inside the hotel is much harder to ignore. Maybe we were unlucky but it didn't seem that there had been any effort to sound proof between the rooms or the floors. Unluckily for us there is also a decorative shaft that runs from ground to top floor that was right beside our room. During daylight hours this does its job and send shafts of light through the hotel to the ground floor and all the intervening floors. At night it becomes one huge amplifier that accentuates door closings that are happening two floors away. This isn't conducive to a good nights sleep.
The room had an ensuite and was as previous reviewers said, tiny. Had a balcony out to the street and a flat screen.
If I wanted a crash pad and could get it for less than €70 I'd stay here. Otherwise look elsewhere

Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family