“Friendly staff and central location”

Catalonia Conde de Floridablanca
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Murcia
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I stayed 11 nights in February at this old style hotel. The staff was very helpful and serviceminded. The restaurant served an over all good breakfast. The room was spacious and clean. The parking place (payed) was something of a test of your driving ability.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Moellervejle
There are newer reviews for Catalonia Conde de Floridablanca

Reviewed March 3, 2012

As part of a recent business trip, we stayed at the Conde de Floridablanca which is located close to the park of the same name. On all my previous stays in Murcia, I have stayed on the other side of the river. My Spanish colleagues were startled when I asked them to drop us of at this hotel and they spent the remainder of the trip ribbing me about my new home.

The hotel is a little dated, the staff were friendly. We had rooms with a terrace, my was facing a beautiful church whose bells tolled every 15 minutes!! Given the same approach to heating as previously experienced elsewhere, leaving the patio door open was not an option. All the overhead panels in the bathroom had been dislodged and my colleague mentioned their room had a drain like smell.

Breakfast was reasonable with a fair selection of hot and cold options. I don't think I will be staying again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank mobile_mackem
HCMURCIA, Director General at Catalonia Conde de Floridablanca, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

Dear Sir:
We are grateful for yours comments because they allow us to improve our services and to rectify any disadvantage that they could have had during your stay. Certainly the rooms of terrace have a nice sight to the Church of Carmen and to Floridablanca's Garden but on the other hand its bells really are listened every 15 minutes, being a disadvantage of difficult solution, as well as the temperature that in spite of being a February in this plant in the top part is much more hot that the placed ones in low floors. Though this fact is, especially for our foreign client, one of the motives for those who choose this type of room with terrace make them enjoy our warm weather even in winter.
The heating is common for all the rooms and that is the reason that in this season we have it connected and not the air conditioning.

We are grateful for your positive comments and will be told to our equipment and I will let them known about your words, as well as to the restaurant departament.
I expect to have the opportunity to greet personally in your next visit in Murcia. I am sure that our standard and upgrade rooms situated in lower floors will cover your desires.

Yours faithfully

Reviewed December 29, 2011

I was very pleasantly surprised by my stay in the Floridablanca Hotel. The restaurant staff were extremely kind and actually made honey and lemon for me when I had lost my voice! The breakfast was excellent as was the cuisine. The staff on reception were also helpful. I slept well, and the room was very clean. The location of the hotel in the city centre is excellent for sight-seeing.

Ruth

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Ruth M
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Great location,good value. Problem with air-conditioning,speedily and graciously sorted by excellent receptionist, Sophia. Take a bow, Sophia!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank annfagan
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My wife and I stayed for two nights (28-30 Mar 08) at the end of a 7-night trip to the province. We had Room 405 on the non-smoking floor.

GOOD POINTS
--------------------
1) Location - only 5 minutes walk across the bridge to the cathedral, though other hotels eg the NH, Zenit and Hesperia are closer still.
2) Room - good sized room and bathroom and reasonably well fitted.
3) Breakfast - good choice of cereals, fruit, fried eggs & bacon, cold meats, pastries etc
4) Price - we paid £53 per night total for b&b and considered it good value.
5) The staff were generally friendly and helpful.

NOT SO GOOD
--------------------
1) There was an unpleasant smell of dampness in the bathroom.
(perhaps one of the sources of mustiness in an earlier review)

2) Hotel parking cost 16 euros/night (recently raised from 12 euros). The street parking is limited and might be ok for an overnight stay but is not a practical option for longer stays. Other hotels seem to charge a similar amount.

Murcia is a pleasant city in which to hang out but there is not a lot to see, apart from the cathedral, so one full day is probably enough time for most people to spend here. We were lucky that the Primavera Carnival took place during our stay which provided additional interest and a great atmosphere in the city.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank DavidT1
Reviewed March 6, 2008

We just spent one night at the Conde de Floridablanca Hotel, but would be happy to return. We found the hotel fairly easily, and parking in a nearby street with a parking meter, for a fee of just 50 cents per hour, and only payable during working hours.

Hotel staff were very welcoming, and there were no problems checking in, even though I'd booked it as a free night using Airmiles, just 4 days before arrival.

We were pleasantly surprised by size of room, and the bathroom was large too. View out of the windows wasn't much to write home about, but to be expected in a built up area in a city centre. Bed was proper double bed instead of two singles, which was nice. TV had a couple of English-speaking news/sport channels.

A short walk across the nearby river, took you to the historical centre, and main shopping area. We had lunch outside one of the cafes in front of the cathederal, but struggled to find a restaurant which took our fancy in the evening, so ended up back at the hotel, eating their 3-course/19 Euros set menu, which was OK, although deep fried potato wedges (however lovely!) which accompanied my Murcian Tuna Stew appeared to be the same as you can pick up in any supermarket freezer cabinet and didn't seem "classy" enough for 4* dining. This, plus there was only one other couple of diners spoilt the meal a little bit.

On the other hand I found breakfast to be great, especially as it was included in our "free" night. Great choice of fresh fruit, cereals, hot and cold Spanish and international buffet, juices, tea and coffee.

I did not find the hotel or my 4th floor room smoky or musty. There was a strong smell of air freshener in the corridors, but not unpleasant... maybe they'd read the previous review on Tripadvisor! Personally, I did not have any trouble with controlling the temperature of our room with the air conditioning.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2008

I stayed at the Catalonia Conde de Floridablanca for one week in January for work. The hotel is located in a nice area with a park and the cathedral just next door. The city center is a quick five to ten minute walk across the river, so the location was overall very enjoyable.

The hotel allows smoking on the second floor, and I thought that the smoke carried through the entire building. It was beautiful weather while I was here - around 75 degrees during the day. The room was hot and the air conditioner only pumped out constant heat!

The staff is very friendly and accomodating. The breakfast buffet provided many options for 10 euro. There is a grocery store on the other side of the cathedral and a mini fridge in each room.

All in all, nice location, nice people, hot and musty/smokey smelling rooms.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business