All reviews yoga retreat home from home hot tub take home lovely trip great teacher outside world quirky touches spanish sunshine almond groves swimming pool lasagna well worth a visit dan vegetarian teaching hosts
Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

This was my second visit to Tara Casa with a friend. I decided this time not to do a yoga or Pilates package as that's not what I wanted from my break. Both myself and my friend just wanted somewhere which would offer us maximum peace when we needed it but also somewhere we could go jump in a car to visit other places too.

This truly is such an amazing escape and both Dan and Viv offer top hospitality. The pool is beautiful and somewhere you can completely unwind and do what ever you want with all the time you have......read, write, draw or just absolutely nothing!!

The food is Simply delicious as Dan is in my eyes is a top chef. Ask him to make his lentil lasagne which is just divine!!!!

Viv also rescues dogs and if requested you can see the gorgeous, cute and gentle 4 legged friends. They are however located in another part of the building and so you won't really see them if your not a dog lover.

The accommodation is very nice and rooms are air conditioned which was great as we were there in the middle of a heatwave!! Everything was spotlessly clean and guests have access to a fridge with all your essentials which you can help yourselves to.

More to the point Viv and Dan were the friendliest of people and both my friend and I were so sad to leave and are both hoping to visit again soon. Thank you Viv and Dan (and Bambi......the cutest of doggies!!) xx

Trip type: Traveled with friends
PIlatesYogaTaraCasa, Manager at Tara Casa, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2017

Bambi says hello and thank you for your lovely review x

Reviewed August 27, 2017 via mobile

Just back from a lovely trip in Tara Casa. This is located in a very small village with beautiful surrounds, so if it is relaxation you are after this is perfect! We started our day with some Pilates and yoga with Viv who is very attentive to ensure you are holding correct poses. We then spent the rest of the day relaxing by the pool reading books, drinking teas and coffees and eating Dan's lovely fresh meals. Thanks Viv and Dan for a wonderful stay, I left feeling relaxed and refreshed.

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2017 via mobile

I have just returned to Tara Casa for the third year in a row. It really is my sanctuary and never fails to re-set mind and body.
There is a very laid back vibe here and a feeling that your time here is completely personalised to you...which it is!
Viv is the most wonderfully sweet and caring person who is always ready to listen. Dan is very talented and even managed to teach me mosaics which is no small task with someone as unartistic as myself! He is also the chef and the meals are divine!
My pilates lessons have been fab and I have never found anyone else who can really know what someone needs and can develop someones technique in such a short space of time.
The villa is peaceful and feels like home. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel type holiday this is really not for you and it is exactly why I love it so much. I feel at ease and the personalisation that Viv and Dan put into your stay couldnt be found anywhere else. I am happy to camp out on the sunloungers taking a dip in the pool or curl up on a sofa inside with a cup of tea. I love the feeling of being left alone to do as I please yet if I need anything I feel very comfortable asking.
I will be returning next year. Thanks Viv and Dan! X

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2017

I stayed at Tara Casa, with my friend, Sarah, for one week in July, for a cost of £645, this did not include our flights, the car hire, or the extra 90 euros Dan charged for the trip to Alicante airport.
I was very much looking forward to spending a relaxing holiday swimming, using the hot tub and sunbathing by the pool. Unfortunately, the pool wasn't very clean the sides were in fact slimy to the touch and I couldn't even find a sunbed that didn't have mould or birds' droppings on. We were also never given the opportunity to use the hottub.
My idea of brunch was very different to what was provided and very different to what is advertised on the website. A couple of packets of cereal, cartons of juice , a small plate of fruit for everyone and a meagre loaf of bread - toasted on the second day! Bearing in mind that we each paid £645, I assumed that I could also have creamy coffees and enjoy the fruit bar as advertised on the website even if we were not part of large group.
I was very concerned when Sarah came to our room when she should have been having her reformer lesson. She had a tight chest and throat and felt very unwell-symptoms of the type of asthma she suffers. I asked if I should stay with her, but she said she would have a coffee as caffine works like a drug which can open the lungs airways, and then rest until I returned.
During my reformer session, which took place about 10 minutes after Sarah had to leave the room due to the dog hair allergic reaction, both Viv and I kept having to brush the dogs' hair off the reformer, my clothing and my feet which, in my experience does not indicate a scrupulously clean studio.
All things said I did really enjoy doing the mosaic with Dan and he is really very talented at what he does and made my experience a very positive one. I did too enjoy doing pilates for the first time with Viv and am sure that I will be trying it in the future.

Room tip: Don't always believe the reviews!
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Lucia M
Management response:Responded August 10, 2017

Lucia, Dan and I are both saddened by this review. I responded to Sarah's review with total honesty, as I will with this one.

We are surprised, in view of the fact that you appeared to be very happy here and we believe would not have had a bad word to say. I will speak here as I see it; your friend was a manipulative and dramatic person, who seemed disgruntled all the time, so it comes as no surprise that she has induced you to write something in support of her. Sarah also rang the BCPA, the association that I trained with, in an effort to try and malign my reputation. Thankfully this was not taken seriously by them and they were not interested. My reputation as a teacher has nothing to do with Sarah's grievances.

This is a home from home environment, which we keep extremely clean and comfortable. Sarah's attitude and presence was not in keeping with guests we usually have here. We felt sorry for you, that you seemed to be influenced by her and clearly pandered to her needs of having the world revolve around her.

In response to your complaints. The sunbeds do get bird poo on them, this is a country house in a village and we are surrounded by birds. The sunbeds are regularly cleaned, cushions are renewed every year. The pool is tested each day to make sure the water chemicals are balanced and it is cleaned every day. All of our guests can see Dan doing that each morning, if they are early risers. It is a large pool to clean but it is kept maintained to a high standard.

You certainly did enjoy creamy coffees every day, from our coffee machine and different flavoured coffees and styles are provided with it. In fact you mention that Sarah made herself a coffee after the attack she had. You also had access to juices and teas throughout the day. Brunch was not wanted, so we reverted to breakfast and lunch. Our breakfasts have never been complained about, a variety of cereals, fresh fruit, yogurts and various types of milk for non-dairy people. Fresh bread which we offered, was not wanted because of allergies and another guest, who preferred not to eat wheat. You were also offered cooked eggs each day and did take advantage of that offer. At lunch time, you had various salads with quiche, or cheeses, tortilla, varied each day. We supplied extra things that Sarah needed for the allergies she said she had too.

You mention the price and I think if you check you will find this price very reasonable for the content of your itinerary, which included 3 reformer sessions each, plus mat-work sessions and yoga; that is an all inclusive price.

Everyone that comes here has an opportunity to use the hot tub and we make that quite clear. You did not ask to use it and we rarely get asked to put it on in this heat that we experience midsummer. It has to be heated up over a period of a day. I always mention to guests when showing them around to let us know if they want to use it and it is also written in our welcome book. We do not have it running constantly because of the unnecessary use of energy.

I will vehemently deny that there were any hairs on the reformer. We were wiping it down after each of us got on it because it was hot and there were sweat marks on it. I always clean the reformer between myself and guests for hygienic reasons.

It seems you have tried to find some things to complain about in response to pressure that your friend has put on you and that is very sad. We both see that you are being loyal to your friend, who was extremely peeved with my response to the spectacle she made, plus the dissatisfaction she no doubt feels from the responses to her review.

Dan and I have been running our retreat home for almost 10 years and we work very hard. It is more important to us more than anything else, for guests to be happy and in the 100's of guests that have passed through our gates, they have been more than happy and visit again and again. We do know that we do our best and that if any guests have made constructive and genuine criticism, we will always act upon it and spend time making things better.

It was clear to us that Sarah was in the wrong space at the wrong time. However, as we said to Sarah, you are both welcome to come again if you wish to.

all the best
Viv and Dan

Reviewed August 5, 2017

I've just left the tranquil Tara Casa after a week of pure relaxation and bliss. As well as leaving completely chilled out I also managed to drop 1.5 inches of my waist. As a solo traveller I was anxious to be visiting the retreat alone (the other group had to postpone their trip so I was in my own ) but Viv and Dan made me feel welcome and at ease straight away.

Viv was able to give me one to one Pilates training each day which was great for developing my practice as a beginner. She is a great teacher and I was able to learn so much in the 6 sessions she provided. She also gave me other exercises and challenges to do throughout the day in my own time. I chose to spend my time laying by the pool as it was so hot. The pool is big and allowed for cooling down or competing against Dan to do at least 50 lengths.

In terms of the accommodation, I stayed in a double room (2 single beds) with an en-suite. The room had air conditioning and was perfectly comfortable. Some toiletries were also provided. Very clean, as was the rest of the house. It is true that the hoover was out several times a day and the house was always immaculate. Each day I had cereal after class, lunch, dinner as well as fruit, teas, coffee and water. Food was delicious!!! Never did I feel hungry. Seconds were always offered.

Onto the dogs. Viv is passionate about rescue dogs and they do have a number of very cute dogs on the property. The dogs are kept at the back of the house. One of the first things I was asked was how I felt about dogs and did I have any allergies. Only when they were sure I was happy they introduced me to the dogs, 2 at a time over the week. I didn't spend too much time in the side garden (apart from using the exercise bike in the evenings) but I did see Dan clean and hose it every day. The Pilates studio was very clean and had the reformer machine as well as other accessories for exercise. If you are not a dog fan I'm sure that you wouldn't have to see them. Viv also invited me to join her on a visit to one of the rescue centre she is involved with which was both amazing and heart breaking.

Before I booked this retreat I checked the reviews and I can honestly say MOST people have got this spot on. It's a really lovely place were you are looked after. My only critique would be that I personally would have loved to have taught evening classes in addition to the morning session rather than to rely on my own motivation (which is rubbish) to do the exercises recommended. Overall an excellent retreat!!

Management response:Responded August 7, 2017

Thank you so much Lee for your lovely review, you were indeed a motivated and easy student. You really listened and took on board the Pilates practice, which as I always say to clients is so important to enable Pilates to be effective. Well done and on also your beautiful mosaic.

I would like to just to add, the reason we had longer morning classes, was purely down to the heat. Although we have air conditioning in the studio, some older Pilates/Yoga practitioners, find the afternoon evening heat, especially in July and August, a little overwhelming. Other times of the year, we usually have 2 sessions a day, depending on your itinerary. Hopefully you will see us again and perhaps if it is in the hot months, we can do Pilates in the pool, which is what I have done with some other guests. However, I thought you were very motivated and did extremely well. We hope to see you back.

Viv