“Good Spanish Cuisine”

Neighborhood: Centro
Spain
“Good Spanish Cuisine”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

On a recent visit to Madrid we had lunch followed by dinner a few days later in Restaurante De Prado. On both occasions we thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Snr Prado, the chef/proprietor, is a most interesting person to talk to - immensely knowledgeable about Spanish cuisine and experienced in the preparation of Spanish dishes. Even after a short conversation it becames clear that his aim is to provide a high standard of Spanish cuisine, at affordable prices, in a comfortable ambience. For us he achieved his aim 100%. All the dishes we chose we enjoyed, as we did the most reasonably priced wines we selected. I would that, although British, we have lived in Spain for over twenty years and do profess to know a little about Spanish food.
We are returning to Madrid in June for a longer stay and our first evening (and I am sure others) will be spent in Restaurante De Prado.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Inmigrante

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Taree, Australia
“Alejandro went that extra mile”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Thanks Alejandro for taking the time to talk to us when we were jet lagged after just arriving in Madrid. So pleased we stayed for a late lunch. Great value food and entertaining stories. Our first meal in Spain. traditional food and filling!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank M0rty
London, United Kingdom
“One of Madrid's treasures!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We more or less stumbled across this restaurant in Central Madrid and felt that it was a wonderful find. It was lovely to eat something which resembled hearty home cooking in a place where the locals go with their families for their weekend treat. We started with soup and were surprised when Alejandro produced two steaming tureens, explaining that this would give us a chance to see which one we liked best. We sampled both and both were excellent. There hardly seemed room for more, but Alejandro works magic with even humble cuts of meat, such as lamb liver and kidneys and transforms them into succulent culinary delights, so we found ourselves clearing our plates with the next course. When desserts were mentioned, as included in the set menu, we groaned inwardly, but any objections were swept away as a plate was produced with a very generous selection of desserts so that we could pick any which took our fancy. We fancied them all! Meanwhile, bottles of three home made liqueurs were produced and left on the table for us to help ourselves. Throughout the meal Alejandro took a real pride in what he was serving and in whether or not we were enjoying the experience. He asked our names and dedicated a card to us with a picture of himself (admittedly looking somewhat younger) in his chef's uniform containing a selection of his recipes. He escorted us out of the restaurant as though we were VIPs and showed us with pride some of his sugar sculpture work displayed in the window. We realised that this modest man was the winner of a number of prizes, on view at the top of the staircase leading to the first floor. I shall long remember that wonderful meal, Alejandro, and your warm hospitality and maybe even try some of those tantalising recipes.

• Visited March 2013
“Avoid it”
Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

I've been in this restaurant because my hotel was very close and since I read positive reviews in tripadvisor. Actually the restaurant did not impress me so much. I had the prado salad, which is actually is, well, a salad with apple, coconut powder, and some dressing. Then I ordered a fish that the owner showed me a book (is a recipee book that he wrote - he is very proud of it). Let's say that on the picture it looked more interesting than on my plate, full of bones and spikes, quite poor and simple. At the end i ordered a budin, a cake served with caramel. In the end I do not recommend it.

1 Thank glicioto
Lausanne, Switzerland
“An amazing dinning experience”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

After reading the only review posted on Alejandro's restaurant we decided to give it a shot since it is one block away from the hotel. We arrived early and were the only ones seated. Alejandro turned out to be an exceptional host. It was like dinning with family. Alejandro took the time to translate and explain each dish. We opted for the menu (3 courses). The food was fantastic- the salmon was fresh, the "de Prado" salad was excellent and refreshing. Alejandro brought amuses bouches prior to the appetizers- they would have been a meal on their own. Alejandro kept bringing food and drinks to the table, such a great host.
The price was so low, I was embarrassed paying such a bill. I have never experienced such a thing in all my years of travel across Europe, Asia and north America. If you are in Madrid go give Alejandro a visit, you will not regret it. Alejandro does this for the love of the food, he is a very proud restaurant owner and it shows in everything he does. Fantastic!

• Visited March 2012