“Too expensive for what it is...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Teatriz - CLOSED

Teatriz
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Barrio de Salamanca
Sitges, Spain
“Too expensive for what it is...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We were walking in Salamanca and looked up a restaurant to have lunch in. This place had OK reviews but was by far the best restaurant walking distance from where we were. For 2 people with no wine and no appetizers we paid about 70 euros. Having lived in Spain I have gone to many restaurants in that price range. I'll use those experiences as benchmark.

The place
Overall the decor is interesting. They converted an old theatre in a 3-in-1 resaurant concept. So you have tapas in the entrance, Mediterranean food in the central area (where the seats used to be) and Asian fusion in the set where the plays used to take place. To be honest when I read someone else's description I thought it would be much nicer. It's nice but not amazing.

The food
We ate in te Mediterranean section so I can only speak to that menu. Overall I feel there is an attempt to do refined food...hence the price range. I don't think I am being too harsh when I say that the food felt amateurish and clearly was not worth the price. It was ok...but 70 euros go a long way in Madrid. If I had paid 40 euros I would have said it was a decent effort. So what did we have: I had the fish of the day with a salad and my wife asked for the burger. My fish was dry and the salad felt like it had just been taken out of one of those ready-made bags from the supermarket. My wife had a "reinvented burger" which basically meant that they had served 5 fries (again looked like pulled out of the frozen ones you can make at home) and a small chunk of minced meat. No special preparation...just minced meat. So she neither got the sloppy burger that you love but hate yourself for eating nor the refined explosion of unexpected flavones from an upscale burger. The dessert was ok (a hot chocolate moelleux with ice cream - but according to my belgian chocolate loving wife - the chocolate was clearly not at par)...so this would have been an ok lunch at 40 euros...but felt like a ripoff at 70...

The service
Honestly the service was very pleasant. Slow but always with a smile. There were what looked like an army of well dressed servers making you feel like the price tag was for a reason.

Conclusion
If you are walking through Salamanca and don't mind paying 70 euros for mediocre food, this place has an interesting decor and a pleasant service. Maybe one of the other options has better food...I think we will continue trying other places...

1 Thank cvidela4791

Madrid, Spain
“Great atmosphere and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The space used to be a theater, converted to restaurant by no other that famous enfant terrible Philippe Stark, and redecorated by one of his disciples in 2011. Very dramatic space and decor with excellent food. Expensive, but not excessively so. Located in the heart of the Salamanca quarter, the most traditionally aristocratic Madrid zone, and surrounded by the best and most famous international shopping names. It has four separate areas with different meal and drink choices. Recommended for a sedate meal in a sophisticated environment without getting too broke.

Visited July 2012
Boston, MA
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Went here with our daughter who is on a semester abroad. We travel a lot. Highly recommended. Great service great food.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Spectacular setting but overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Went here in a group of eight on guide book recommendation. On entering it seems a bit cheap and innocuous but were told this was tapas area. We wre led to fine dining spot which used to be the auditorium of the theatre, this was a spectacular setting and fine pre-dinner drinks ensued.. All starters were ok, no complaints but no wows ! Half were happy with mains others unimpressed and one send back. Service was reasonably attentive but all in all experience was ok but not real fine dining but pricing was heading that way !

• Visited July 2012
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
“The decor is wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

Really enjoyed this resturant. Their food and service were perfect. But thoe most spectacular thing was the resturant decor. Its an old theater converted to a resturant. They did an awesome job where u can see all corners of the resturan, bar and lounge. Great place for a special dinner