Open today: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM

from $44.00
from $44.00
from $24.30
More Info
All reviews cuatro vientos aviation enthusiast water tower museum is free excellent museum historic aircraft on display metro station walk up helicopter engine dioramas simulator guard refreshments military missile
Reviewed October 10, 2018

I went along to the Museo del Aire a couple of weekends ago. I have been staying in Madrid for work. This museum is fantastic, with so many aircraft on display, and plenty of information and signs in English. Also free entry! Very impressed with the amount of effort that has gone into the displays. I wish we had something this good in Australia. Madrid should be very proud of this museum. I caught the metro to Cuatro Vientos and walked about 30 minutes to get there which was fine, but good idea to take a car if you have one.

Reviewed July 31, 2018

Definitely worth a visit for tha plane enthusiast. So many planes to see and many not on display anywhere else. Missed our on being excellent because two hangers were closed and it was not advertised - unfortunately one hanger had a couple of must see planes so not happy going all that way. It is also not east to get to. We used an uber.

Reviewed April 17, 2018

As an aviation enthusiast, this museum had been high on my "To do" list for a long time, I'm very happy to have finally paid it a visit.

There is a wide variety of aircraft and aeronautical technology on display here, both indoors and outdoors. The museum's own information boasts that the collection comprises more than 150 aircraft; though some areas of the museum were closed during my visit, I was left with no doubt that they do have at least that many if not maybe a few more.

Spain has had its own domestic aircraft industry through most of the 20th century up to the present and this collection presents many domestic aviation products alongside foreign made ones. You'll definitely see some unique domestic aircraft types here, that you may not see elsewhere.

The outdoor collection is organised into sections for helicopters, transports and fighters. While some of the exhibited aircraft were showing some degree of wear from the elements, many others had clearly been refinished in the very near past. Cleary some care is being taken for the welfare of the outdoor aircraft, which is good to see. The only downside to the outdoor area was a P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft left in a very incomplete and sad state that would have been better kept out of public view until it was in a more presentable condition.

The indoor exhibition is distributed between seven hangars and seems organised mostly by category.

Hangar 1 was only partly open during my visit. What I saw there included the First World War and other aspects of early aviation.

Hangar 2 was largely aeronautical technology including engines and flight simulators from various eras.

Hangar 3 was primarily light aircraft from a variety of eras.

Hangar 4 was autogyros and helicopters.

Hangar 5 was primarily interwar aircraft and early jets.

Hangars 6 and 7 were closed during my visit.

The museum also has a well stocked gift shop.

Overall, the museum left a very good impression on me. However, there are areas it could certainly improve upon:

Accesibility and visibility are big problems for ths museum in my view. The museum is not easily visible from the highway that runs past it. Save for a water tower with "Museo del Aire" written on it, there are no real landmarks to watch for if you are going by car or the green busses from Principe Pio station.

I used a bus to get there. if I had it to to again, I'd have used the metro train and done a bit of extra walking.

The museum needs a proper restaurant rather than the small cafe that exists at present. It's a big museum with a lot of walking to do and no dining establishments in the immediate vicinity. If you don't bring your own snacks, you'll likely be quite hungry at the end of your visit and the museum cafe certainly won't be up to the task of refreshing you.

Lastly, and this was a common problem at all of the tourist attractions I visitied in Madrid, linguistic flexibility in the information the museum provides about its exhibits needs to be improved. Mostly, it's just in Spanish. If you speak the language or are a an aviation enthusiast who knows what you're looking at, this isn't such a problem, otherwise you'll be a bit lost and won't get the full benefit of a visit here.

Reviewed April 17, 2018

Firstly, if getting there by car, know exactly where you're going. There is a "Museo" sign from the main road, but it's a very sharp, unexpected turn. If you miss it, expect a couple of mile detour to go round again!

It's less than 3 Euros to get in - bargain of the century!

Aside from the impressive static displays outside (some could use a little conservation), the hangars are packed with all manner of historical aviation pieces that will keep anyone with a vague interest occupied for hours. WW1 aircraft are presented in excellent dioramas, and other hangars showcase weaponry, helicopters, early flight, etc. The world's most hideously-painted Me109 is also present and correct. :)

We visited on the way down to Toledo - the museum being on the south side of Madrid, this made sense.

Reviewed March 30, 2018

It is only open for 4 hours. It was entirely my own fault that I arrived there at 1pm without checking. The woman at the entrance told me they closed at 2pm. So it was a bit of a rush to get round and obviously I didn't have time to read everything but all this is not the museum's fault of course. However, from 13.45 I did have staff hassling me to finish looking at planes as they were shutting. I appreciate that people want to get home but closing 2pm is 2pm in my book. If you go by metro it's a good long walk from the station. It was an interesting place to visit though even if some areas were closed off.

Reviewed March 7, 2018 via mobile

Good: airplanes are very well maintained and directory of planes is very wide. If you are an aviator or aviation history is your area of interest, this might be worth of visit. There was quite alot of outaged military tech. And hardware displayed which was very interesting (missiles, figterjets, boms, torpedos etc.)

Bad: staff didn't spoke any English. Not even a single word. This applyes staff working in the boxoffice and guides working in the hangars. Half (about) Info boards where written just in Spanish so I missed quite alot because of this. Half of the hangars where closed during my visit because of maintenance. This was not announced anywhere prior purchasing ticked (3 eur). Museum is open only 4 hours / day so be there a bit before it is open. Otherwise you are going To miss something or you need To run it trough. Museums web site also need facelift and alot of More info about i.e. opening hours is needed for audience display.

Keep in mind: Many planes are located outside so visiting on Rainy day is not a Good idea. Location is not in the city Centrum of Madrid so reserve enough time for roundtrip travelling.

1  Thank MikoS137
Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

Very impressive museum, with a lot of well-kept aircraft, indoors and outdoors. And lots of rarities compared to other museum. Count on spending 2-3 hours, at least. Buses from Principe Pio by the Royal Palace go there in 10-15 minutes; else take a cab there and return by bus.
We were there on a Sunday with a lot of families with kids and the commotion added spice to the visit. Lots of oooohs and wauws.
Try it - you will not regret it.

2  Thank Martin B
Reviewed October 19, 2017 via mobile

Great place for aviation enthusiasts. There are many historical pieces both in inside and outside exhibits. The planes outside need some TLC but the descriptions of all the exhibits are in English and Spanish. The museum is constantly upgrading and expanding its collections. This museum mainly houses Spanish memorabilia but much encompasses international ties. Great photo of Wilbur Wright with King Philip IV. Entrance is free but they do ask for a 3 Euro donation. Well worth it. Hard to find and get to. Best bet for us was a taxi.

1  Thank Chiquis926
Reviewed September 17, 2017 via mobile

I have been meaning to visit for a number of years and finally got round to it last weekend. It's free entry but donations are welcome. My two daughters (13 & 8) loved it, there are lots more planes than for some reason I thought there would be. I suppose the lack of real signs from the motorway and awareness of the place in general made me think there wouldn't be much to look at. I suppose if you're only in Madrid for a long weekend you'd lose time with travelling there by bus etc. but if you're here for longer it's worth checking out. There's a small place offering refreshments and the toilet facilities are very clean.

1  Thank jasoninmadrid
Reviewed September 14, 2017

We drove to this museum, and were lucky to find it as our GPS could not find it. We drove to the airport and asked and were given instructions in broken English, but enough to find the museum. The website says it is free, but the charge is 3 Euros. We just drove straight in and parked. The hangers are well laid out and well presented, although the outside aircraft are the worse for being outside. You could easily spend 3+ hours at the museum. There is a large variety of aircraft and helicopters on display. There is a carpark if arriving by car. Not to be missed for aviation enthusiasts visiting Madrid.

1  Thank Peter S