Posada de la Villa
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: La Latina
Description: The Inn of the Villa is a restaurant located in the center of Madrid, in the first Old Inn of 1642. It has a traditional Madrilean style cuisine with some specialites: The Roasted Lamb in Wood Oven, The Madrilean Pot, Meats, Fishes and typical desserts of the city. It offers an extensive wine list and a valet parking service.
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Heard about this place from Rick Steve's Travel guide to Madrid, so we said why not.

I have to say that when we first walked in we were measured head to toe in regards to what we were wearing (mind you we didn't have a suit on, but we were dressed casually in jeans). The staff had a very snotty air about them, but I didn't care just wanted to have a great meal.

We were seated upstairs in a very rustic & cool room. Their table standards are olives & bread with butter. Olives were amazing & bread was warm & fresh. Really great.

So after looking at the menu I had picked a main & a backup entree (Bull Tail which I heard was amazing, melted in your mouth & a traditional meal & was dying to have it or the Cured Pork Tenderloin (they always have pork in Spain)) Well surprised surprised they didn't have either which was like WHAT? You don't have Pork in the restaurant that charges an avg of $34 per entree? (money was obviously not an issue - it's just the reputation & ambiance they are obviously trying to portray).

So I was stuck with just picking the Steak Loin - NOW first to save this review I have to say it was THE best steak I've ever had, fatty enough to seriously get the most flavor & it came on a sizzling ceramic plate that continued to cook your meat or keep it warm depending on where you positioned the meat. It was very interesting & my steak was done perfectly to my liking.

It was delicious. And then for desert I had a wonderful thing called "Fried Milk" - had the consistency of hard custard, vanilla & cinnamon flavor - I'm sure extremely fattening but really tasty.

So overall the food was amazing, service was very snotty & indifferent (couldn't get a smile out of the staff no matter how charming & friendly we tried to be) and just disappointed that I couldn't actually eat what I really wanted.

And the kicker...we didn't even go late to dinner when most Madridians go which is around 10pm...we went at the start around 8 so it's not like they could have ran out. But it's a popular dish so you would think they would stock up no???

3  Thank Laura C

Reviewed May 11, 2010

Don't eat here unless you speak Spanish. While the food was good. the service was horrific and the matre'd who takes all orders was downright snobbish. The menu was never explained and all they kept talking about was their signature dish, lamb.
We dined here as an anniversary celebration and were VERY DISAPPOINTED. Have tapas down the street at Casa Lucas instead.

6  Thank mdfrdgrl
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We had the house soup (lamb broth), grilled asparagus, and the lamb for 2. The lamb was moist and flavorful, and huge. We also got little fresh deep-fried croquettes on the house that tasted better than what we paid for at the market. Having the lamb was very traditional Spanish -- I'm glad I had the experience but it was a lot of meat. I wouldn't recommend the lamb broth if you're already getting the lamb.

Service was great -- the maitre'd gave us little key souvenirs on our exit. It is a bit expensive - they charge 2.3 euros per person for bread, you're going to have to order sides and appetizers unless you want a huge chunk of meat, and prices just seemed higher than usual.

1  Thank HappyBelly
Reviewed January 6, 2010

An excellent place to enjoy the best cordero asado.

Reviewed December 2, 2009

We were right at the door when they opened at 8:30 p.m. If you eat this early in Madrid, you will eat with other tourists, not the Spanish who start coming in about 10:00 p.m. We did not have reservations, but were welcomed and shown to a nice table upstairs. As it was early November, they were not extermely busy. We had the traditional roast lamb, which was excellent, shared a very fresh salad and roast vegetables, and enjoyed a wonderful bottle of Albarino wine. The entire evening was lovely in the very attractively decorated traditional dining room. The staff could not have been more attentive. Our meal cost about 100 euros for two.

The restaurant is located about two blocks down Calle Cava Baja on the left from Plaza Major.

1  Thank NCMountainsArtist