“Very recommended, incredible food in an incredible atmosphere”

La Terraza del Casino de Madrid
Reserve with
La Terraza del Casino de Madrid is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #175 of 12,012 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Spanish, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
Description: For balmy Madrid evenings, the Casino offers an exceptional atmosphere surrounded by the most historical buildings on Calle Alcala.Since 1988, the rooftop restaurant, La Terraza del Casino, two Michelin Stars and three Repsol Suns, directed by Paco Roncero and advised by Ferran Adria, now rates among the most innovate players on Madrid gastronomic stage. Fine dining is one of the most surprising locations the Casino de Madrid has to offer.Discover Madrid skyline from amidst the historic buildings that surround the Casino: they provide the backdrop for your meal. Haute cuisine for clients in search of originality, creativity and the chance to enjoy a new culinary experience.Furthermore, in the refurbishment, Jaime Hayon has created a design conceived specifically to envelop dinners in the same groundbreaking, avant-garde feel that Paco Roncero achieves with the textures, colours and flavours of his dishes.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very special place in Calle Alcala. I was in the Casino for an event and it was delightful. Food was an unforgeteable experience.

1  Thank Monika S

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I went to this restaurant with my wife for our anniversary. We often go to Michelin star restaurants so I will use those as my point of reference. I have to say, knowing that the chef behind El Bulli was a consultant here made us walk in with high expectations...and except for some glitches with the wine this was a perfect meal. One quick logistical point - as in many 2 or 3 star restaurants you are expected to wear a jacket. if you dont bring one they will provide you with one (but always better to bring your own). So lets get into it:

The place
The restaurant is located on the roof of the casino (although I didn't see any casino). The building is a majestic building that must have a couple centuries in what I would call a French style. After a brief elevator ride you arrive at the last floor in a beautiful decor (they have an indoor option but we ate outside in the terrace). There was some live music (although I have to say a long tail piano would have been more appropriate than an electric organ but it was all good...)

The food
One comes to this sort of restaurant for the food and I have to say that for the food itself I would not have been surprised if this place had three stars. The 135 euro menu with some 20 courses was amazing. The dishes were innovative, inventive and surprising. It was a journey of culinary discovery...truly amazing. Don't come here if you are looking for large dishes with a home made feel...this is a place where food is an art...and at 135 euros for a 20 course menu it was a bargain. (You can also order "a la carte" but it may cost you just as much for less dishes). I've been to places that charge 2-3 times that and are not as interesting. I particularly enjoyed the "pasta bolognesa" (which actually is made of calamari) or the sole meunière which was amazing. The other 18 courses were also great and in the end you don't feel too full despite the number of dishes...

The wine
This was, in my humble opinion, what made this a 2 and not a 3 star restaurant. Given that my pregnant wife could not drink I asked the sommelier to match the dinner with wines by the glass...she quickly agreed but instead of making me experiment different wines as the courses came, she just left me a bottle of a very uninteresting Sauvignon blanc from Rueda (until I asked them to change - this was followed by an average Rioja). Yes, at 14 euros for the many glasses I had this was an amazing bargain...but I would expect a little more effort from this sort of restaurant. I overheard her explain to another table that the current menu was adapted to "white wines"...but a real effort would have been to make me discover 3-4 white wines...this was a disappointment. The wine menu seemed to be reasonable (a large book that I didn't go through) but this sort of restaurant should have the option to offer wines to match the multiple dishes offered (which is hard to do yourself unless you are in a group of 4+)

The service
This is what I would describe as the perfect service (aside from the wine episode). The service was attentive, non-intrusive and always present. I have food allergies and my wife has a ton of limitations as she is pregnant and they made multiple changes in the many courses without even the slightest pushback. Aside from that the service was quick but not pushy. Just as a notice, this is great European service...so don't expect the waiter to tell you his name or his favorite vacation spot...that would not be considered good service in this part of the world...don't take that as a signal of lack of interest or being pretentious...it's just the way things are (I am saying this because I read some of the comments that spoke of this)

Overall
I've been to most of the 2 star restaurants in Madrid and several one stars and feel comfortable saying that this is the best restaurant in town (I might change my mind but so far...). This is also one of the best restaurants I've been to in a while...probably just a notch below the Fat Duck (which we recently visited) or the Mugaritz (based on the experience as I would say the food itself is at least as good). Highly recommended!!! Don't miss this restaurant if you are really into innovative cuisine or are just open to taste things that are above the ordinary...

6  Thank cvidela4791
Reviewed May 23, 2013

If you're looking for a home cooked or filling meal, don't waste your money. If you want a food experience/food show of a lifetime, give it a try -- especially if you're a foodie. I would recommend the tasting menu which is 135 euro per person and this will get you over 15 mini courses of food. Ordering ala carte is still expensive and you won't get the show. Yes you guys will need sport jackets and the restaurant is on the quiet side. We will probably not go back but we certainly don't regret splurging here and would recommend to other foodies.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Besides the 'gentleman has to wear a jacket' rule it was a perfect evening. We knew the jacket rule before, but there were women inside wearing flip flops, a beach dress or sneakers. Felt a little strange..
We took the chef's menu and I told the waiter I couldn't eat wheat or cow's milk and that was not a problem at all. The chef made several nice dishes which were different from the ones my boyfriend got from the menu.
At the end we got out menu's printed to take home, very nice service!

1  Thank Rianka
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We opted to splurge one night while in Madrid and many of the guide books and this site recommended La Terraza as an experience to enjoy. While we are not fans of Michelin type restaurants, we gave it a roll.

First and foremost, La Terraza is a private club and for some reason they open the restaurant to guests. The restaurant doesn't open until 9PM but in the off chance they were to open earlier, we arrived around 8:30PM and went to the bar. The bar is large and overly bright. We were the only ones inside on a Saturday night. Nothing was cozy or comfortable and we had to wait until 9PM for dinner.

Men must wear sport coats so I had to use one of the "in-house"coats to enter the restaurant. You are shuttled into the elevator where you are greeted by the house staff and then directed to your table. They know you are a guest but overall service is impeccable. The issue we had was the food itself. There is a tasting menu for $115Euro and ala carte. We selected ala carte.

Being a Michelin two star restaurant, we were treated to many starters, each very small. Their pizza is actually a thin wafer covered in even thinner tuna. Fois gras was in a round biscuit. A single prawn still had its tail and feelers intact. If you enjoy fine dining with unusual food, then you will enjoy La Terraza.

But for us, the best options were the wine (nice selection) and complimentary chocolates at the end of the meal. Oh, getting on the elevator and walking out too.

2  Thank LGspartan