“Sensational - Warrants 6 Stars if Possible. Don´t Be Put Off by Location”
Review of Bahia Taberna

Bahia Taberna
Ranked #35 of 11,533 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Este proyecto nace en respuesta a un progresivo desarrollo de la alta cocina. Se ha renovado el ambiente tradicional de una taberna conjugando los conceptos de las ultimas tendencias artisticas y gastronomicas. Asi se pueden degustar modernos pinchos y platos creativos, en un entorno tradicional y de cocina de mercado. ATENCION, LOS HORARIOS REFLEJADOS SON DE APERTURA DE COCINA. ENTRE LAS 16:00 Y LAS 20:30 HAY SERVICIO DE BAR, RACIONES FRIAS DE COCINA UNICAMENTE. ASIMISMO, EL LOCAL PERMANECERA ABIERTO HASTA LA 01:00 AM
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This incredible restaurant is in the most unlikely location, marooned in a soulless office park near Barajas airport. But fear not, it is easily accessible by Metro (Barajas station) and one bus in a southward direction. I walked from my pre-flight hotel in downtown Barajas. On to the meal.

As others did, I ordered the tasting menu and shared a liking of seafood with waiter Miguel, who speaks excellent English. What ensued was a feast of 8-10 small- and medium-sized dishes (I lost count in my bliss.), each beautifully presented, each a wonderful melange of tastes. I have never had a meal like this.

I was not initially aware of this, but the person bringing the food to the table and explaining it in great detail was the chef and owner himself, Daniel Vangoni. He is very approachable, speaks excellent English, and seems to get great enjoyment performing anonymously -- no toque for this chef -- to the delight of his clients.

It has been said by others, but I found this the best restaurant during my week´s stay in Madrid, and possibly in my life. That it cost less than 50 euros, including 3 glasses of wine, makes it a remarkable value as well.

Please do yourself a favor and make the surprising easy trek to this gem of a restaurant. And watch out for Chef Vangoni. Fame surely awaits him.

1  Thank AjayLA2
BahiaTaberna, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bahia Taberna, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Hello DesignForLiving, We are really proud to be one of your favorite restaurants. We hope to recieve you on your next trip to Spain. Thank you for your review, kind regards.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Since I run a tapas tour in Madrid I felt obliged to pay a visit to Bahia Taberna. This bar demands more than one visit to be fully enjoyed. This is due to the fact that their communication is not the best. I needed to phone them to find their working hours and their website did not give me much of and idea of what they offer. We had the tasting menu which is impossible to recommend because it is always changing in price and dishes. They have a written menu of "pintxos" and "raciones" and there is also a blackboard with seasonal dishes. For what is worth, I was not impressed by their:
Brussels sprout (Col de Bruselas)
Ox tails (rabo de toro)
Foie gras

But I was truly blown away by their:
Baby squid pizza----> 5 Euros--> great value, unforgettable dish, deserves a Michelin star
Grouper dish
Chocolate, orange, salt and oil dessert

If you are attending a trade fair in Madrid this is the restaurant to visit since it is very close to IFEMA.

BahiaTaberna, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bahia Taberna, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Hi WalksofMadrid, thank for your review. We would start saying that we are making a new website with all the information about the opening times and a reservation form directly from the web. In other hand it´s amazing read in your post that you apreciate our courses and tapas and we hope to see you again. Kind Regards

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have eaten at thousands of restaurants around the world over the past sixty years and only a few remain truly memorable. Our dining at Bahia Taberna will join that select group. Specifically, the restaurant is divided into two parts.The front area with the bar is more for typical drinking and tapas at tables. The back room is "white table cloth" primarily for full dinners, although they too are build around tapas.

Most diners were savoring the "tasting menu" which consists of perhaps eight consecutive small portions which are updated frequently by the chef-owner. These are not the strange "vertical structures" that some chefs are so proud of and are mysteries to most diners, but are remarkably creative and absolutely delicious. You can order off of the full menu, but go with the best and order the tasting menu. The server told us that whenever we felt that we had enough, he could stop the flow. But we never did and shared both of the available deserts.

Service is excellent and servers very knowlegeble. The open kitchen showed a very active chef who somehow had time to visit each table. Considering the fine dining and an unusual amount of wine that we both enjoyed, the price was also remarkably reasonable. As Michelin might say, Bahia Taberna is "worth a special trip."

1  Thank Stuart S
BahiaTaberna, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bahia Taberna, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thanks for your review Stuart S, it´s a pleasure read your post. In other hand is an honour to be part of your memorable restaurants. We hope to see you again, kind regards

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We almost didn't bother trekking out to Bahia (Google maps exaggeratedly suggested it was an hour from Atoches - it wasn't) so glad we did. I have coeliac disease which means I cannot have gluten, my mum who I was with doesn't. The chef came over and told us he would create a tasting menu for us and I would have different options to make sure it was gluten free. He double checked what we did and didn't like. The restaurant area is in the back of a small bar, it only has around 6 or 7 tables and you can see into the kitchen. At first the bar area seemed more appealing atmosphere wise but as the restaurant filled up it got better. The food was wonderful - even the onions and brussel sprout appetisers were great! We had around 6 courses including scallop with bacon, courgette stuffed with gorgonzola and shrimp, egg with truffle, tuna tartare etc etc. This isn't traditional Spanish cuisine but the meal was varied, well balanced and surprising. The staff were extremely warm and accommodating. For the quality of the food the price was very good - around 70 euros a head with a bottle of wine and a sherry. A must visit in Madrid.

Thank you very much Gemma J, is a pleasure you came to see us. We hope you come back soon and we can surprise again. Kind regards

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Serendipity is the word. On a rainy night, I had to attend a business dinner. "Business as usual" I thought. So in an unlikely night, in an unlikely location close to the airport, I discovered the best restaurant in Madrid. I still can't believe that I've lived over 3 years in this town without ever having heard of this restaurant!

And you wouldn't know it when you enter the place. As you enter, it looks cool, with some walls inexplicably hanging pictures from Tintin ¿? The the waiter comes. He looked like the typical Spanish waiter. But this young fellow wasn't hurried, and he seemed friendlier. We were a party of around 12, representing around 5 different nationalities, and he made the effort to expalin the options to everyone.

Then the food came. And only at that moment you realize you are dining in a very special place. Different tapas and other dishes kept coming one after the other, each one as great as the previous one. Everyone in the group was just dazzled!

I'd really love to keep this place as a "hidden jewel". However, through the years I've got so many times such valuable guidance from fellow Tripadvisor reviewers, that I feel I'm obliged to share this experience.

A few days later I returned with my family, as it ocassionally happens that ones tends to idealize an experience. But this was not the case. They delivered good consistent service, and the best, most creative, tastiest food you could have.

You gotta try it. Don't be put off by the location, it's just a 10 minute ride from downtown, and a 5 minute ride from Barajas airport (if you happen to have a couple of hours to spare in the city).

Finally, about the price: This place IS NOT cheap.

2  Thank GlobalExpat
BahiaTaberna, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bahia Taberna, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you so much for your review GlobalExpat, we hope to see you again at the restaurant. Kind regards.