“Great fixed price veggie menu” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Al Natural

Al Natural
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Al Natural is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #960 of 10,451 Restaurants in Madrid
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Paseo del Prado
Campbell Hall, New York
“Great fixed price veggie menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We enjoyed a mid-afternoon meal here. The vibe of the interior was cozy and the wait staff was 'friendly' and attentive. The fixed-price 3 course (glass of wine included) was 12 Euros. The presentation of the meal was great and was delicious.

We would return on another visit to Madrid.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank OCNYtraveler

• Hebrew first
Ashland, Oregon
“Beyond disappointing; awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Was intially so excited to stumble upon this vegetarian restaurant tucked above the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum. While not a vegetarian, I was simply starved for a vegetarian meal after two weeks in Portugal & Spain. The environment was charming & the menu diverse. Unfortunately, my lunch was perhaps the worst of our trip. Two slices of zucchini were hidden in a bowl of white sauce w/ cheese. Unedible beyond those two bits. My husband's choice not much better. "Vegetarian" Spanish style was white flour disolved in butter, milk, cheese. Really terrible & not cheap.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NW_Fresh
Madrid, Spain
“average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

It's NOT the best vegetarian restaurant in Madrid, but it was OK. I mean the presentation was very simple. I ordered vegan falafel, but they were served on a yogurt sauce. They kindly brought me three extra pieces without yogurt sauce (and not charged me). The wine was tasty, but not vegan! They said it was ecological, ok... I found the menu limited for vegans compared to other places I know in Madrid. The bread, yummy bread, was so so delicious that I was able to finish them all! The waiters were friendly. As a main dish, a friend of mine and I ordered seitan , me the vegan option, but while he enjoyed his seitan dish (non-vegan option), I found mine bland. I feel disappointed in a restaurant when I think: I could have cooked this much better....

• Visited December 2012
Queens, New York, United States
“Vegan friendly, sweet staff, English menus”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I came here for dinner with my husband one night while visiting the city and we were thrilled! We're vegan and the menu is incredibly accommodating! Have you tried saying "veganos" to anyone in Spain? Yep. You'll have to list "no egg, cheese, milk, cream, etc" b/c saying "no dairy" gets you absolutely nowhere. In fact, saying your vegan is worthless. No one knows what it is. At Al Natural, we could rest easy that our food wasn't sauteed in fish sauce or battered in egg yolks. Our server was incredible and so was the food. We had no complaints but I must say - the dessert wasn't worth it. A bottle of wine was a cool €11 so that was a nice perk! We wanted to try as many foods as we could while in Madrid but if we were in the area longer than 4 days, we would've absolutely come back.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Candy B
Doha, Qatar
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have to echo the sentiments of previous reviewers who suggest that this place trades too much on being a vegetarian oasis in a meat-eating desert!

I must give the chefs credit for cooking with a wider and more interesting selection of ingredients than is usual - but to the tastes of this 40-year vegetarian, the results were like home cooking experiments that didn't deliver. Perhaps I'm just more used to conventional food than I thought.

I really liked my lentil and orange soup, but couldn't finish my mixed plate main course (unlike me), as I found the textures unpleasant (cheesey semolina and a braised seitan (meat substitute)) or insipid (quinoa with lentils). My cheesecake desert was grainy, watery and dull. My organic beer was at the same time sweet and sour. I obviously pulled a funny face when I tasted it, as the waitress offered to change it without my asking. That suggested to me that she'd had previous complaints...

I might have been happier if I'd paid 11 euros like another reviewer for a fixed-price lunch - but mine cost 23 euros, and the price was inflated by a waiter who billed my credit card in sterling, adding another 2 euros to the cost of my meal. (The receipt boldly stated 'I accept that I have been offered a choice of currencies for pasyment.' (I hadn't.) 'NO REFUND.')

At Sunday lunchtime in mid-December, the restaurant was busy with locals and presumed regulars, more so than those tourists like me who had been 'fliered' on the Paseo del Prado.

The easiest way to find the restaurant, by the way, is to take the lanes that runs off the Paseo del Prado just to the right of the Thyssen museum. The restaurant's about 100 m up on the right hand side. Decor is '70s trattoria'.

• Visited December 2012