“Vegan friendly, sweet staff, English menus”
Review of Al Natural

Al Natural
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Al Natural is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,054 of 10,784 Restaurants in Madrid
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Paseo del Prado
Queens, New York, United States
“Vegan friendly, sweet staff, English menus”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I came here for dinner with my husband one night while visiting the city and we were thrilled! We're vegan and the menu is incredibly accommodating! Have you tried saying "veganos" to anyone in Spain? Yep. You'll have to list "no egg, cheese, milk, cream, etc" b/c saying "no dairy" gets you absolutely nowhere. In fact, saying your vegan is worthless. No one knows what it is. At Al Natural, we could rest easy that our food wasn't sauteed in fish sauce or battered in egg yolks. Our server was incredible and so was the food. We had no complaints but I must say - the dessert wasn't worth it. A bottle of wine was a cool €11 so that was a nice perk! We wanted to try as many foods as we could while in Madrid but if we were in the area longer than 4 days, we would've absolutely come back.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Candy B

• Hebrew first
Doha, Qatar
“Underwhelming”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have to echo the sentiments of previous reviewers who suggest that this place trades too much on being a vegetarian oasis in a meat-eating desert!

I must give the chefs credit for cooking with a wider and more interesting selection of ingredients than is usual - but to the tastes of this 40-year vegetarian, the results were like home cooking experiments that didn't deliver. Perhaps I'm just more used to conventional food than I thought.

I really liked my lentil and orange soup, but couldn't finish my mixed plate main course (unlike me), as I found the textures unpleasant (cheesey semolina and a braised seitan (meat substitute)) or insipid (quinoa with lentils). My cheesecake desert was grainy, watery and dull. My organic beer was at the same time sweet and sour. I obviously pulled a funny face when I tasted it, as the waitress offered to change it without my asking. That suggested to me that she'd had previous complaints...

I might have been happier if I'd paid 11 euros like another reviewer for a fixed-price lunch - but mine cost 23 euros, and the price was inflated by a waiter who billed my credit card in sterling, adding another 2 euros to the cost of my meal. (The receipt boldly stated 'I accept that I have been offered a choice of currencies for pasyment.' (I hadn't.) 'NO REFUND.')

At Sunday lunchtime in mid-December, the restaurant was busy with locals and presumed regulars, more so than those tourists like me who had been 'fliered' on the Paseo del Prado.

The easiest way to find the restaurant, by the way, is to take the lanes that runs off the Paseo del Prado just to the right of the Thyssen museum. The restaurant's about 100 m up on the right hand side. Decor is '70s trattoria'.

• Visited December 2012
York, United Kingdom
“completely overrated”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We were desperate to enjoy vegetarian food after exposure to the usual Spanish fare, but waht a disappointment this place was! The soup was average, but our main courses were frankly horrible and we did not finish them. My mushroom pasta was over-seasoned and my partner's so called lasagne consisted of vile veggie sausages in tomato and smothered in cheese sauce. I think this place relies on the gratitude of hungry vegetarians and has come to take them for granted and treat them with contempt. There was no effort to make this food tasty... a lasagne could be deliciously made with some fresh vegeatbles and lentils as the 'meat substitute', for example. Far preferable to the lazy, unappetising mess we encountered. Don't bother going...

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank Anna O
roma
“very good”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

nice place. The service of a nice young blond lady was very kind.
the food is all excellent. I've been there 4 times and would recommend these dishes: gazpacho, creme de zahnahorias, paella with vegetables,choccolate icecream.

All perfect!!

• Visited September 2012
New Delhi, India
“A good, healthy place to satisfy your vegetetarian cravings”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We make it a point to visit a vegetarian restaurant in every city we visit; hence headed over to Al Natural on a friend's recommendation.

Location: If you have the exact address and a map, the place should not be too difficult to find. It looks a little small from the front but is pretty long with ample seating space.

Ambiance: We visited in the evening and the place was nearly empty with 3 more occupied tables. The seating was comfortable and we liked the overall effect that has been created with pictures of natural food items along the walls.

Service: Unfortunately, there was only 1 gentleman handling the show when we visited. English speaking and extremely polite, but he seemed a little overwhelmed being the only person managing the customers. Our request for a Sangria pitcher could not be met as it would be a little complicated for an individual to manage. Apart from that, he was pleasant and attentive.

Food: Middle of the road. We have had better and much worst at different vegetarian restaurants around the world. Food was fresh and health to eat. However, it was a little too bland for our taste and the dessert a bit too dry. Yogitea was good to finish off the meal. They served bread in the beginning (without us ordering) and then charged it in the end!

Recommendation: It was good for one time visit. I will only visit it again only if I've insatiable craving for a vegetarian food and cannot find a better place.

• Visited June 2012