“Great neighborhood restaurant”
Review of Dantxari

Dantxari
Reserve with
Dantxari is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #116 of 11,190 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Arguelles
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stopped by here for dinner one night as it was recommended to us by our travel agent prior to our trip to Madrid. And I have to say, we were not disappointed! The food was delicious, service was fairly quick (granted it was a mid week dinner), and the ambience was nice. & cozy. The place did fill up quite quickly after we got there, considering this was a Wednesday night. If ever in Madrid again, we would return here for dinner.

1  Thank FLtravelers_1
There are newer reviews for Dantxari

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've been wanting to go to this Basque restaurant in our neighborhood since we moved here. We went on a Sunday afternoon...family day in Madrid. We totally lucked out getting a table without a reservation. Many large groups of families were there...it was fun to watch them. You can tell they frequent this place and the wait staff knew them. Great atmosphere, lovely place, very friendly wait staff, great house wine. For appetizers, we ordered two 1/2 rations: the cod croquettas and the anchovies to share. They were both incredible. I'd go back just for those. For our mains, I got the 1/2 ration of cod and my husband got the 1/2 ration of the ox tail stew. His was fantastic and mine was very good. The sauces are so tasty. Looking around at what other people ordered...it all looked great. The portions were very generous and everything (including bread) will fill you up. We wanted dessert, but didn't have room. We ordered cafe con leche which came with a large, curved almond cracker (which was like a dessert). The head waiter/owner came out and spoke with us and brought us the traditional after dinner drink. Don't be in a hurry...family lunch lasts about 3 hours....and costs about 30 euro/pp. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. We'll be back, with friends (and we'll be sure to make a reservation).

2  Thank MTRose
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I went to Dantxari with a party of 25, I was so ready to enjoy a dinner off the conference hotel property out by the airport. They seated us upstairs at a long table. We were there over 3 hours, and time flew by. We were served at least seven courses, each one was more delicious than the previous. As my main course I had the monkfish. Awesome. And the desserts - I was little sad that I had to shall the large plate of desserts with my coworkers. The plate had 4 types of ice cream, and other bite-size treats.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The large group I went with, was served very well with good food. The ham as a starter was great. The whole group was happy with the different main dishes. De deserts were great and huge...
One thing the should change. Don't serve beer in a small lemonade glass

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I'd like to describe this restaurant as "classical" but I fear that might put some people off. But it IS classical in the sense that all the boxes get ticked: well selected produce is prepared and presented with care, with attentive and helpful front-of-house staff ready to speed everything to your table.

Basque cuisine is based on fresh meats, fish and seasonal vegetables. Here too, the menu reflects that background. My wife and I have dined here four times and we still have yet to cover the full range on the menu.

The wine lists are detailed and wide-ranging, with some rather ordinary wines nestled in among the better ones. And being Basque there is some cider too.

One tip: if you would like to try the Dantxari's renowned rendering of apple tart, order it at the beginning of your meal: it takes a while to prepare... and is worth the wait.

Another tip: even in these economically depressed times it is best to book a table in advance. At weekends it is essential.

1  Thank MikTheViking