“The room was very noisy, smelled of smoke, shower flowed in intermittent flow.”
Review of Hostal America

Hostal America
Ranked #337 of 443 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed May 6, 2010

The hotel was unable to change our room location, as they were fully booked. Someone else on our tour had been offered our room prior to my arrival and she also declined the room.

The hotel staff found an air conditioning remote controller to enable us to use the air conditioning in an unsuccessful attempt to drown out the street noise and attempt to mitigate the strong smell of smoke. There was noise until 5 am on the street.

There was no space to sit comfortably on the toilet. Definitely not spaced to any code standard.

Our room was changed on the second night and this room was slightly better.

On the positive side: no bugs.

• Stayed: April 2010

Reviewed November 18, 2009

Hostal America isn't for everyone - but it is for people who travel on a budget and yet expect cleanliness, security, convenience, and a good night's sleep. It even has a terrace to look over Madrid's rooftops! It's on the top the 4th and 5th floors but has elevator as well. I spent two different nights in two different rooms and both times was more than satisfied. Both rooms also had a coin security-box (although the second room's box wasn't working!!!) which is always a great way for peace of mind. The all-day presence in the hostel lobby is staffed by easy-going, efficient people who graciously speak English. They helped with some very useful walking/metro advice. The night guy didn't speak much English though. I love the street that it's on - funky, utilitarian, great cafe across the street, and so convenient to Gran Via (cenral metro stop too!), Puerta del Sol as well as accessing Malasena and Chueca areas. I'd definately stay at Hostel America again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Madrid was our first stop on an extended stay in Spain. This was the cheapest accommodation we had booked and therefore our expectations were low. Upon arival we were pleasantly surprised by the size and cleanliness of the room. It was quite comfortable and cleaned regularly.

I I were to place a down side it would be the small and cramped bathroom. For the price, you can cope with this.

The one annoyance was that the staff switched off the air-con after you left the room during the day. In hot summer, this meant it took a while to cool down again upon return (often at night).

The free WiFi was also handy in keeping abreast of things without the hassle of finding a hot spot or internet cafe.

The staff were friendly and helpful and we recommend staying here for a trip of up to a week.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I visited Madrid for three nights while on a two week European tour and stayed at the Hostal America. I arrived in Madrid several hours later than planned and a representative from the airport called verified my reservation would be honored. It was after midnight when I arrived and I was welcomed in and escorted to my room promptly liked an old family friend. The host had clearly waited up for me after the call from the airport. I felt like a welcomed guest and even though my Spanish is limited I was able to communicate with the family that runs the hostal enough to feel comfortable and well cared for. When I exited the subway at midnight the first night on the Grand Via there were several policemen who were in the area which made me question my choice but come the next morning when I walked out into the street I realized the neighborhood was safe. The hotel is on the border of a gay friendly neighborhood and one with many trendy shops and Western hotels. There are several hostals in this building. There are several internet cafes and ATM's close by. I had drinks two nights at the Stop Bar down the street and got to practice my Spanish with a visiting businessman who was astonished that a single American girl could stumble upon his favorite watering hole. There are plenty of great inexpensive restaurants and bars within a few blocks. For the price this is a wonderful, clean, safe place to stay just 2 blocks from the subway. The room I stayed in is tiny but has a nice small bathroom and large window and was plenty of space for me to sleep. At first I was concerned that the hosts didn't want me to take the room key with me but on the first night I was there I realized that it was so they would know when all of their guests were in for the night and they could lock the door. Since I was alone and halfway around the world from home it was comforting to know that someone was waiting up for me to turn in.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2008

My partner and I stayed at Hostal America for 3 nights in July 2008. We paid $89AUD per night for a Private Double Room. The hostel is in a good location, very central, however if you aren't opened minded about homosexuals you may not enjoy the location. Our room consisted of 2 single beds (which we pushed together), a desk, wardrobe, small TV, Aircon & Private Bathroom. The room was clean. The hostel is very old fashioned. There is no breakfast, no Internet and the owners speak very little English. It is also very dimly lit. Most hostels also provide you with some information of the area and a map. We didn't receive any of this. The hostel is quiet, however the people staying in the next room were not. They let their kids rollerblade up and down the hallway. The location is good but there is not a lot to do in Madrid so it didn't really have much effect. We originally booked 4 nights but once we arrived, we decided to cancel the 4th night. We cancelled the 4th night more than 48 hours in advance (48 hours is standard cancellation policy for all hostels) but the owners told us we could not & we would have to pay for the room. We didn't end up paying thanks to our persistance but it was a hassle trying to arrange anything with the staff or owners.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank ClareandMichaelPerth
Reviewed August 24, 2008

My partner and I spent 3 nights here and really loved it - the room was simple but good value, clean and comfortable, with efficient air conditioning. We then spent another night here a week later with our parents taking another 2 rooms - this time whilst our room was again clean and comfortable, it was also noisy due to the lift and smelt of cigarette smoke. Overall I'd suggest staying here as it's great value and the Chueca area is fun, but try to get a back room and on the 5th floor - it seemed better than the 4th floor.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed August 20, 2008

This hostal was in a great location! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Ask for a room in the interior courtyard...it's much quieter.

It was a very simple room, but it was clean.

Clean towels and linens & TV.

Enjoy!