1,485 results
All reviews metropolis building great location rooftop bar welcome drink nespresso machine walking distance turn down service beautiful hotel deluxe room star hotel comfortable bed walked everywhere lovely room small hotel central location loved this hotel the heart of the city
Selected filters
Reviewed January 26, 2017

The Principal was the last stop, and the best hotel, on our 3 week tour of Europe. I chose this hotel because I am an SPG member, and had a few worries since the hotel is relatively newly opened. Luckily, the Principal is already a well greased machine. Everything is smooth, from the reception to the room service, the concierge and airport transfers. We were especially delighted (and a bit surprised) with the staff's friendliness and hospitality. Prior to arriving here we were in London for a week and Paris for 5 days, and the service there were aimed at efficiency not hospitality.

The reception was very helpful, since I made an error to my booking. Reserving two rooms for my stay, I neglectfully set the date for the other room 2 months ahead of my visit. He sorted the problem in a way that showed he genuinely cared about this setback and trying his best to make it hassle free. He set us for another upgraded room and made it very close to each other. I'd like to thank him personally but forgot the name, but remember he had a full arm tattoo. During the check in process, I approach the standby staff at the bar to ask for a place to smoke. He gave me this wonderful tip about the top floor roof terrace, where they have a garden, sofas and accessible 24/7. I say this is wonderful because more often (as in the case at westin KL and sofitel so singapore) the staff will only say 'outside' without realising the hotel has a rooftop bar with ashtrays, or a pool bar, a smoking section at the club lounge, etc. Again I feel he sympathises with a guest condition/request and offered the most comfortable option. Smoking is bad for you, by the way.

The rooms were easily 40 sqm, both had an excellent view of the metropolis, an icon of gran via. The location were very handy for trips to the museums, and was very close to the cibeles statue. We went for a real madrid match and it was a quick 20 minute taxi ride away. La Barraca which is a famous paella restaurant is just a 5 minute walk, and the principal is surrounded by cafes and restaurants. My kids also walked to and from parco retiro, and compared to the westin palas the principal has better location. We had nespresso machines in both rooms, and the bathroom is excellent both in decor, size and functionality.

Room service was very limited, I think the only recognisable flaw of the hotel. Things got worse for us since we can't eat the delicious (so I've been told) jamon, so that leaves with about two other choices. The staff though, were again amazing. Once my wife made a special request, and although they cannot meet it (it's not on the menu) they send someone to our room so we can order directly to him, since they were afraid they misunderstood our order. I think his name is rafael, a rather friendly and chubby person. Thank you rafael.

My wife had a personal 'woman' problem (happens once per month) on the first night here, and she requested an item to be delivered to the room. Not only they completed the request TWICE (they got it wrong on the first time), they sent a WOMAN staff. That is very thoughtful indeed. I was very relieved, for it means I do not have to find the particular item in a pharmacy I don't know where, on 1 am, knowing nothing about the term in spanish, and was prepared to describe it by sign language. For a guy, that is quite a task. But of course I was prepared to do it, for love.

We were picked up by a sleek range rover, and the trip was around 20 minutes from the airport. We had a deal for airport return transfers (both ways) that is only 100 euros. I think the cost for a single airport transfer in london is 100 GBP. Requested for a late checkout 2 pm, and they gave it. Checkout process was also smooth, the concierge downstairs told us he is planning to visit Indonesia (gill islands, borobudur, etc) this summer. I was so satisfied with the friendliness of the staff there that I was ready to show him around my country. Again I forgot his name, since the staff here either has a beard or is a woman. Never met one that has both, thankfully.

Best hotel during our trip and is a better option than westin!

Room tip: Pick the gran via facing room
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank cendut
Reviewed January 24, 2017

Excellent facilities, location, service and staff. Delighted for the awesome service. Affordable price . Top quality and near all the major attractions and shopping areas in Madrid. Hope to be able to come back!

Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Jalmanzar
Reviewed January 24, 2017

Great , clean place to stay, well located for all excursions, and shopping and food. The breakfast os poor if you are a vegetarian and very expensive. Would recommend you buy your own or walk 2minutes to the local Starbucks.

Room tip: Rooms are clean, well equipped and gorgeous bathroom.
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Jacobo R, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Principal Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2017

Dear Bianca M,

Thank you so much for posting a gowling review following your recent experience at The Principal Madrid.

I was so happy to learn how much you enjoyed our unbeatable location in the heart of the popular Gran Via of Madrid.

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding the vegetarian options of our breakfast. Please note, that I have forwarded your words to our F&B Manager and will study how to improve in this matter.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 24, 2017

The stay wasn't very comfortable in terms of logistics and how to reach the rooms.
However, this is to let you know that the location of the hotel is considered great which is the advantage of my overall stay.

Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank mzajy_7

Dear mzajy_7,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am delighted to read you found very convenient our central location in the heart of Madrid. On another note, I am truly sorry for not meeting your expectations on other aspects.

I will be pleased to personaly assist in future reservations and find the most suitable room for you accoding to your needs.

Once again, thannk you for your time and consideration. We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2017

I had a superior room with a great terrace.
Great location for visiting with many restaurants/shopping nearby and close to key attractions with Prado a 5 min walk.
Rooms are reasonably sized, not large, and sometimes not functional (bathroom offers limited bench space.
Welcome drink and bottle of wine in room was a nice touch.
Otherwise great location, stylish rooms - i didnt use the restaurant and gym/spa was limited.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple