“The Perfect Sherry Bar”

Neighborhood: Huertas
WEST YORKS
“The Perfect Sherry Bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

If you visit one bar in Madrid them please make it this one.
It does not open till one p.m but it is atmospheric and full of character.
I am disappointed that someone could describe this historic bar as "a dive" as it is far from that.
The owner does not speak English but was pleasanr as was his wife when we returned the next evening to partake in some different sherries.
There are 5 main sherries available and all 5 were excellent and accompanied by a small snack such as olives ir other nibbles.
The owner did not differentiate between anyone coming in the bar and at night if you drink at the bar your bill is chalked on as you drink.
Simple food such as bread, cheese and salami are also available.
This was a unique experience and we loved it som much we went back twice !

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank ANDY K

Atlanta, Georgia
“A very unique experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was too ignorant to look up La Venecia before going....so I was scolded by the owner for asking for a menu, taking a picture, and leaving a tip, but despite that, will definitely return next time I am in Madrid.

It's an experience that feels like you have gone back in time and probably one that you will not have anywhere else in the world.

I don't know much about sherry, but based on the other reviews, I am assuming that their selection is very good. Mine was delicious, but it's also only the 2nd glass of sherry I have ever had.

Go here, you will not regret it.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank TJ L
St Helens England
“Miserable dive”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Just been to la venencia and was so underwhelmed by the experience that had to review before we even got home. Was recommended by the owner of the apartment we stayed at and also by trip advisor - WHY? We were met with a blank, unwelcoming stare when we arrived at the bar and the barman reluctantly poured out two glasses of what tasted like industrial cleaner - no nibbles were offered unlike the locals and we soon left feeling like we had imposed.

If you want to feel like you have a walk on part in a Samuel Beckett play then this is your place!

Visited June 2013
Santa Clarita, California
“Fun, local Pre-dinner hang out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We first found this on trip advisor, and then were again introduced to it by a tapas tour guide. We made sure to go yesterday. Neither myself or my husband would consider ourselves to be sherry drinkers. In fact, this was my first time tasting. I blindly ordered two different types, and both were delicious! As a previous poster said, 2 euros for a generous pour. Each drink we ordered brought out a small tapa. You don't come here for food, you come to taste the sherry and the atmosphere. You come here 8pm or so, before going out for dinner. An aperitif if you will. Definitely check it out! I'm glad we did.

• Visited June 2013
Union, Washington
“Old Madrid”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

If you want manzanilla, mojama, cecina, or jamón, this is the place. Super crowded continuously, but worth a stop. I made the mistake of trying to tip, despite the warning of my companion. Wonderful spot of Old Madrid.

• Visited June 2013