“Degustation menu”
Review of Goya Restaurant

Goya Restaurant
Reserve with
Goya Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #454 of 11,452 Restaurants in Madrid
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Paseo del Prado
Description: One of the best restaurants in Spain, expect flawless fine dining in a magnificent atmosphere at Goya. The high ceilings and huge chandeliers give the restaurant an air of old-world opulence, and the terrace next to the Prado and Thyssen Museums is a unique place to dine in Madrid's city centre. The impressive menu includes a spectacular mix of the Spanish gastronomy with classic delicacies and avant-guard creations with the best seasonal products of the local market.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Beeing in this restaurant ,you shouldn't miss their Degustation menu which is formed of almost 9 plates. It worth.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

The ambience was elegant and sensual. Dimly lit, incredible decor and had my husband and I feeling like we walked onto the set of an amazing period movie. The waiter's were attentive and friendly, catering to every possible need we had. When it came time to order I started with the Oysters and for the main course ordered the Truffle crusted fish. Now 'm a very adventerous eater, and I've had both of those dishes at other restaurants before and pride myself on being a very open minded foodie. That meal however will go into the books as the very worst meal I have ever had in my life. The food reeked as the waiter placed it in front of me. It was an overwhelming oder or damp old tennis shoes. Once I took the first bite of my fish it took everything in me not to throw up. Absolutely disgusting. After the great and detailed reviews I read I was so sad to have had that experience.

1  Thank Devon B
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We celebrated Valentines Day on 13th February not liking to have contrived menus forced upon us at an exhorbitant price. It backfired! We had a most delicious meal served by the most charming and professional of staff but the meal for two came to 200 Euros without wine! We started with a very small portion of mushroom risotto with black truffles. We followed with the hake which was perfectly cooked and came with a delicious vegetable sauce I had a scoop of the house ice cream and my husband had the creme Catalan followed by petit fours and coffee. Not knowing Spanish wines, we asked for guidance and the charming waiter suggested a Contino Rioja which was fantastic. A special occasion yes but see your bank manager first!!!!

1  Thank 761Anonymous
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Elegant setting, wonderful food and service, sooo romantic!! Flowers...candles...chandeliers...Loved it!!

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Goya is a gem, but.....

I have mixed feelings after the fact in terms of value recieved.

This is, without a doubt, a fine restaurant in a fine hotel. But I think there is just something missing here which is perhaps why Michelin has not awarded them a star, which from most observations, it may deserve.

Located in the hundred year old Ritz Hotel, this is a grand and elegant, top drawer restaurant. Service is attentive and formal. Details are important in everything from table setting to an extensive a la carte and degustion menu, as well as occasional special festival menus.

If you enjoy getting dressed for dinner, having your every wish catered to by white tie waiters and a proper sommelier, this may be your place for a special meal.

The daily menu at one hundred Euros per person wasn’t to our taste, so we ended up spending about three times that on a la carte specialties: two appetizers, two entrées, a cheese cart service and dessert, plus a drink and two glasses of wine.

This kind of fare is seldom available anywhere at any price, so its like buying a Porsche or Ferrari…you pay for what you get.

Value received is in the mind of the customer and when I visit this level of property, I need to feel like it was money well spent. Goya just needs something else and I could not, at the time, identify what that was.

The following evening, we went to Zalacain, which has a star and the difference was immediately clear.

Goya is relying on its location and that's the problem. The Ritz is plush and rich, so you expect to pay plenty for just going there. Zalacain is a restaurant which must rely on the combination of ambiance, polish, cuisine, service and dozens of details which all count with most clients. We spent the same amount of money in Zalacain and left feeling that we had spent every euro well.

Goya needs to discover how to polish a fine gem.

The property doesn’t have a Michelin star, but could perhaps be awarded one at some later date.

4  Thank jjstives