“It's the economy, stupid?, NOOO!, it's the FOOD!!!!”
Review of Goizeko Kabi

Goizeko Kabi
Reserve with
Save up to 40% when you reserve online *
Goizeko Kabi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #852 of 11,010 Restaurants in Madrid
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Madrid, Spain
“It's the economy, stupid?, NOOO!, it's the FOOD!!!!”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

When you go to a restaurant... what's the most important thing????. FOOD!!!!!. Well... this is the place for that. I've just went to Goizeko Kabi and I have to say that... FOOD IS AMAZING. Don't expect to go to an ultra-posh restaurant. No, go somewhere else for that. This is the place for foodies, people who enjoy excellent produce and service. I went with my wife and had chipirones (cuttlefish) (OMG!, it's been years since the last time I tried such good ones!) and then she had merluza (hake) and I had lubina (sea bass). All dishes were excellent prepared and amazingly tasty. Definetely, this place is great. Prices are around 40 EUR per person + wine. Not cheap but absolutely worthy!!!

• Visited December 2012

Rivas(Madrid)
“half old style, half new style”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

interesting dishes (lobster salad) with classic recipes; txangurro, grilled beef meat. Reducing prices for crisis !go ahead to visit them!

• Visited November 2012
Panama City, Panama
“An excellent Basque restaurant with marvelous seafood”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is a very good Basque restaurant which we never miss when we go to Madrid. Their seafood is expertly prepared and it is fresh and delicious.

Visited September 2012
Surprise, Arizona
“Expensive but very good”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Traditional basque food with a luxurious atmosphere, nice place. The food is good, the staff is a little "stuffy" but very attentive. We would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Al R
New York, NY
“Setting the Standard for Basque Cuisine”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Goizeko Kabi serves traditional Basque food in the Chamartin area of Madrid. The interior of the restaurant is very subtle and understated for the quality of the food served. Even the entrance is very simple; it was not at all how I pictured the restaurant would be. As soon as we were through the door, my party was greeted with a warm welcome; it is definitely not a pretentious place. My party agreed that this was one of the best meals we had not only on our trip to Spain, but of all of the restaurants we have ever dined at. It surprised me that I was able to get a last-minute reservation based on how incredible the food was. Bacalao lovers will revel in the selection of salted cod dishes available.

We started by sharing the plate of jamon iberico. The waiter was very sweet and joked around that we could eat the jamon with our hands, even at a nice restaurant (some of my party were using fork and knife). We also shared an anchovy salad, with some of the freshest greens and tomatoes. The olive bread for the table was so fresh; it has been so long since I have had olive bread that good.

To say the main dishes were stellar would be an understatement. I ordered the arroz marinero, which is slightly different than paella, but equally delicious and savory. The consistency is thinner than paella, but the flavors and seasoning are more pronounced. There was so much seafood that I could hardly finish. I also tasted the risotto de bacalao, which was so creamy, and not in the least bit salty (despite the bacalao) – it was perfect. My sister ordered a lobster plate that was prepared with vegetables. The presentation was unique and my sister, who is normally such a picky eater, finished everything on her plate (which is truly testament to how good the food is!).

The desserts were probably the best part of the meal. The melon with mint sorbet was some of the sweetest melon I have tasted and the mint sorbet was a refreshing flourish. I tasted the Idiazabal cheese ice cream and I could not get enough of it. I was addicted! It was tart and tangy, so smooth and unlike any kind of ice cream one can get at a gelateria or ice cream store. With dessert, the waiter also brought out wafer cookies that had hazelnuts sprinkled on top, which had a very subdued, yet sweet flavor.

Throughout the meal, our service was attentive and polite. I noticed on the rest of my party’s menus (they had English menus), that there were no prices listed, so if you order from a non-Castillian menu, be sure to verify the prices when your cheque arrives. You can also scope out the menu on the restaurant’s Blogspot website, as it changes with the seasons. There are not enough words in the English language to describe what a wonderful experience I had. I would urge anyone traveling to Madrid to dine at Goizeko Kabi…I know that I will be returning very soon.

1 Thank savesthedana