“Of a good standard”

Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: La Latina
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This place is good and won't disappoint for those seeking traditionally good Spanish tapas. It is a bit expensive and fails a bit in terms of friendly service (I don't know why is it that we kept running into the waiters on their grumpy days?). Wine list is respectable, the quality is good. What we didn't like was that they didn't wow us on their egg dishes. Guess the hype about celebrities visiting the place got them slowing down in the food department? Still, not a bad place to eat even if it's not spectacular.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,323)

Reviewed October 31, 2012

A Monday night is not the best time to find a restaurant in Madrid, since many places are closed. However, based on our travel guide comments we decided to give Casa Lucio a try - after all, according to the book, the King of Spain has eaten there, and the place and the review in the book was reasonably positive.

We had no booking, and the place was very busy. We were told to wait, and then left without any real idea what was going on. I suggested to my wife that we should try elsewhere, or just go for tapas, but given that Casa Lucio was clearly popular, reluctant to give up on what was obviously going to be a gastronomic experience, she suggested we tough it out.

20 minutes later we were taken upstairs and a table for four was divided for us.

On first glance of the menu, it was obvious that this would be a pricey experience. Knowing that the food had to be good - and service exemplary , we had no real qualms about the cost of the evening.

The menus were far from descriptive, and the waiter was little better when asked how the food was served.

I ordered a fish soup and an entrecote steak. The soup, to be fair, was quite good, although lacking in seasoning. The steak was, well, a steak on a hot plate, but flavourless and served with some very average french fried potatoes.

Any small pleasure associated with my food was overshadowed by my wife's experience. She ordered beans and sea bream.

Unexpectedly, the beans were served as a starter. OK, maybe that is the way that the Spanish eat their vegetables. However, what was served was absolutely disgusting. The beans were served in a watery liquid (probably the water they had been cooked in, because it just could not have been a sauce). They were a pale green, and sloppy, as if - and they probably had been - on the boil or simmering for hours. It reminded me of my worst ever school dinners.

The fish came in a bowl, around 4 cms high. There were two reasonable-sized pieces of fish, floating in a nasty, salty solution (we guess water that the fish had been steamed in)

My wife's meal was mostly inedible for anyone with a half decent palate, and cost a staggering EUR 38 (my meal, which was edible, but not perfect was EUR 39, so better value !)

I told the waiter what we thought, and received an indifferent shrug.

Looking around at the other customers, it occured to me that this place is living by its past reputation - and the fact that the King ate there. If he had what my wife had been served, he would not have returned. Who knows, he may have visited just the once, and said "Never again !"

We will never return to Casa Lucio, and will make sure friends, colleagues, and anyone who will listen (or read this) also stay away. A great alternative - for much better food and service, but maybe the King hasn't been (!) is La Camarilla, where we went a couple of nights before. Our review will be posted on Trip Advisor

3  Thank Nick B
Reviewed October 19, 2012

They say Casa Luicio is a tourist trap. I guess, to some extent, it might be. However, I like it a lot.
Every time I go to Madrid, I pay Lucio a visit. I like its atmosphere and the food they serve. It is always packed so it is a good idea to book in advance (the earlier, the better). The street where Casa Lucio -Cava Baja- is located is fulled of bars and restaurants, so it's always busy and there is party all the time.
Next time in Madrid, I will go to Casa Lucio again.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had been told about this restaurant and how it was a favourite of King Juan so we wanted to visit. Do not order the prawns!! They charge 230 euros a kilo and don't make it clear on the menu. Two plates - about 10 prawns on each plate - 86 euros!! The staff understand English but we felt they pretended not to so they could bring food we hadn't ordered. Very disappointed.

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Nicely located, Casa Lucio is famous for their see food and Cochinillo, Cochinillo is a young piglet slowly grilled and extremely tasty