“Rather expensive for what we experienced.”
Review of Casa Gallega

Casa Gallega
Ranked #157 of 11,190 Restaurants in Madrid
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Difficult to review in that it was generally satisfactory but unexcing both in atmosphere and the standard of food. We both had fish in keeping with the restaurants heritage and probaly as in most cities this is risky. The Hake was fine but not exceptional, the Paella disappointing.All the componants were there, attentive waiter, good tableware, traditional Galician but really a sense oft faded grandeur and at ype of dining that has passed away. Good wine list at reasonable prices but we left feeling somewhat disappointed..

There are newer reviews for Casa Gallega

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Years ago, whenever I was in Madrid, I loved having lunch at this genuinely Galician restaurant tucked away in the shadow of the Plaza Mayor, it was my favorite in the city. On my recent trip I couldn’t find it, went around the neighborhood searching and was finally directed to its new location several blocks away. I arrived at the door and asked if it would be possible to have lunch that day and received a very lukewarm response. The restaurant was virtually empty and I was received by the haughtiest maitre d‘ this side of a Hollywood casting studio and was shown to the worst table in the dining room. Menu appeared and there was the dish I had been longing for since I arrived: 'Pulpo a la Gallega'. I ordered it along with Caldo Gallego and a half bottle of Ribiero and sat back ignoring the fact that though several staff were standing around watching none of them would glance my way or approach the table. The Maitre d‘ glared at my table whenever he passed through to the kitchen, but no water glass was refilled nor was my wine poured for me... once the food arrived I was left to it. The Caldo was not anything special, however the pulpo was--it was amazing, and I cleaned a large plate filled with it and could probably have eaten more. As I ate tables began to fill, and the staff and Maitre d’ became increasingly more nervous at my presence. I on the other hand was enjoying myself, and the situation, and I stretched my wine out as long as I reasonably could. Ordered flan for dessert, it was only so-so but it allowed me to sit at the table a bit longer. By the time I was finished the restaurant was largely filled and I was fascinated to see the clientele... 25 years ago one mostly saw a mix of working-class, middle-class and tourists eating at the Gallega, but now it was filled with elegant Madrileños, seemed almost like a private club. I could understand why the management was so impatient for me to leave, and I would have felt a little sympathy if they hadn’t been so bloody rude. My bill came to a little under $100 and I did not begrudge paying this as I had had both great pulpo and a most entertaining afternoon.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

To complete the restaurant experience in Madrid after cochinillo, lechazo, cocido madrileno, night out for tapas, etc., I wanted to get an "arroz". As kids were ready for some seafood too, finding this place by accident was a nice casualidad. Traditional high quality restaurant in Spain. Great choice of seafood, skillfully cooked. Very attentive personnel.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This traditional Galician restaurant looks as if it has been around for decades, judging by the old fashioned decor (think Santiago de Compostela, circa 1972), and the approach of its staff, which, while professional, may well come across as surly, especially if you don't speak Spanish.
But you come here for the food - fresh fish and seafood cooked Galician style, with plenty of rich olive oil, firm potatoes and lots of the typically Spanish paprika known as pimenton.
In our case, we let our waiter do the picking, asking for a selection of typical Galician dishes to share with tourists that know nothing about that part of northern Spain.
And we were in for a treat: empanadas gallegas to start off, followed by mussels in a creamy sauce, pulpo a la gallega (the signature dish), merluza a la gallega, bacalao al horno, lubina a la espalda ... All washed down by a very pleasant (and reasonably priced) Albarino white wine.
So, my advice is to go local - ask the waiters (one or two can manage in English - be patient) for Galician recommendations. Then sit back and enjoy.

1  Thank FellowTravellers2010
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We were recommend by our hotel. However this was a major disappointment. The environment is unwelcoming and especially the surly staff. They appear to have a system that only the maitre de takes your order. Whatever it is causes lengthy waiting. And there are so many staff - but all they do is look surly, they certainly do not give service or appear to like to give service. The food was very disappointing with a very bland paella. It was a painful dinner for the four of us - we could not wait to leave.

1  Thank docfeedback