“Very tasty food in a nice place. We suggest it.”
Review of Casa Alberto

Casa Alberto
Ranked #269 of 10,696 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Bar, Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Huertas
Description: Initially, Casa Alberto was simply tavern that dispatched wined accompanied with hard-boiled eggs, freshwater crayfish, etc. Nowadays, Casa Alberto is a staunch defender of the succulent and healthy cuisine of Madrid, bringing am edgy touch by its chef Mario Pilar Quiroga. Amongst the well-known specialties of Casa Alberto are: TYPICAL DISHES:Madrilenian Callos Tripe, Madrilenian Snails, Madrilenian Hand of Lamb, Madrilenian Cod, Ox Tail Stew, Beef Cheek or Veal Meatballs. AVANT-GARDES DISHES: Peppers Stuffed Squid in Ink, Grilled Octopus on Hummus and Tomato Vinaigrette, Grilled Mushroom With Gorgonzola, Beef Tenderloin with Apple Ali-Oli and Iberian Pork with Caramelized Onion and Vermouth Sauce. OUR DESSERTS: Classic Fried Milk, Black Chocolate Coulant with Mango Ice Cream, Mascarpone Cup With Berries and Homemade Cake Egg Custard. Besides our famous tapas the entire restaurant menu can be enjoyed also at the bar, one of the oldest in Madrid.
Milan, Italy
“Very tasty food in a nice place. We suggest it.”
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

During a holiday week-end in Madrid, we've been here for some tapas, suggested by a guide.
The place is very ancient and typical, and crowdy also.
We had a fried cod, very good, a brownie of "morcilla" ( a sort of sausage made of blood), delicious, and manitas de cordero ( lamb's hands) that is absolutely fantastic. Finally dessert: fruit gazpacho, fresh and good, and a chocolate little cake, a little to dry.
To drink: "Tinto de verano", a little to light, we've drunk better ones in Madrid.
Service at the desk was so and so, but when we found two seats the tables waiter was perfect and very friendly. Bill as other ancient tapas bar in Madrid. We Strongly suggest it.

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
“My Happy Place”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stumbled across this place once when on my own in Madrid. I sat at the bar drinking red wine and eating plate after plate of food. It was amazing. The sweetbreads with mushrooms is one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Then I took my girlfriend to Madrid for her 30th and found it again (after some hunting - I'd been drunk when I left before). It didn't disappoint.

Don't bother going into the restaurant just stand/sit in the bar at the front and order lots of tapas plates with red wine. The staff are lovely and will help you if you're unsure (they didn't want to bring me sweetbreads until I reassured them I knew what they were)

This is my happy place and one day I'll go there after having watched Wolves win the Champions League in the Bernabeu and be the happiest person in the whole world

• Visited November 2012
bedfordshire
“Make sure you book a table”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Typical spanish food. The restaurant gets very busy and it is best to book ahead. Otherwise have a drink in the bar area and wait for a table to come free. Also very good for tapas.

• Visited May 2013
“Overrated, some staff very rude”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a review about the restaurant bit. We were recommended this restaurant as its very old and was meant to be a nice restaurant to visit. We got in and there was a wait which was fine. It is a very small place so we had to wait in the tapas bit of the restaurant. As we were waiting, one of the waiters in the tapas section was so rude - my mother was slightly in his way but we didn't realise. He could have said excuse me - but instead he just pushed her away and made what sounded like a very abrupt comment as he did this. No apology or acknowledgement of this. We were so hungry and the waiter who had asked us to wait had been nice so we decided to still wait. When we did eventually get seated the food I found was quite expensive for what it was and lacked real flavor - it was all very bland and disappointing. If you do go there do not order the soup! It had soggy bread and egg in it...yuck! Though the waiters who all spoke English were friendly. They were not very attentive. They took a while to get things for us that we asked for. The only positive was the setting - we were seated at the back with lots of pictures and signed photographs of bull fighters so it had a nice feel to it and that for me was the only redeeming part of my experience. I would however not recommend as its overpriced and the food and customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank OnO955
here n' there
“Beautiful, ornate interior and lively energy at the bar plus thoughtful, interesting food...”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Casa Alberto has real old world elegance and atmosphere but serves plates that are thoughtful, bold and delicious. We started with a righteous plate of chicharrones and ordered an ox tail-stuffed fried pepper and a "brownie" of morcilla topped with a goat-cheese croquet. We were starting to see a pattern where tapas tend to be much larger than we expected, but still these dishes were superb. Standing at the bar, trying out our pitiful Spanish on the bartender we decided we love Casa Alberto. Later in the week we returned for albondegas and a plate of ham.

Like many of the places in the area, Casa Alberto seems to do a lot of its business via tourists, but the atmosphere at the bar still feels like a glimpse into the way it's always been done. The staff may be a bit "over" the tourists but we noticed a different, slightly warmer reaction when we came back a second time, which is something we look for when traveling. We planned a third visit but they were closed.

• Visited March 2013