“Our best meal in Spain was here”
Review of Cafe de Oriente

Cafe de Oriente
Reserve with
Cafe de Oriente is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #526 of 11,704 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Maybe it was just serendipity, but our meal at this spot on the plaza was as good as it gets. Apps were olives, spicy prawns, and some good bread. The entrees were fresh tuna and a sauteed octopus that was fantastic.

A tuille covered some cold chocolate truffles for desert. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We tried the fixed price menu, which required eating indoors on a lovely day. Too bad. The gazpacho was very fresh but needed salt and garlic. The salad with tomato, cheese and fresh anchovy was excellent. The salmon with cooked veggie on the side was perfect. The veal was flavorless. The melon dessert was excellent. The ice cream was fine, but just ice cream. If I returned I'd eat outside and try the tapas, but we had a good deal on a full lunch.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We have been at this Restaurant with quite a big Group (about 30 People), and the Food has bveen delivered pretty fast. It is famous for its Tapas. And that's what they really are good in. Excellent quality, fresh Food and nice atmosphere.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

The terrace is beautiful....right on the Plaza de Orient facing the Royal Palace. We wanted a light dinner that night and wanted to go somewhere a little quieter than the Plaza Mayor area. We each got a vino de la casa which came with chips. My husband ordered some of the warm toast tapas with various toppings, I got the mushroom rissotto with a big shrimp. The food was good, but nothing special and overall it's pricier than most places, but the view and the tranquility of the plaza make up for it.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I would say the review that I read below about having a coffee or tea here is probably the best advice I could give. I ordered 'cabra' which is adult goat, and it was ok. My husband ordered roast pork and it was mostly fat. They did try their best to give great service, but they were not very attentive for the price of the restaurant. I do regret not having any photos because the place was really lovely. So I would go back there again to have a drink or coffee, but would not spend the money that we did on dinner. We had much better at more typical restaurants while in Madrid.