“Great room, Food is good but not exactly in the airport”

Hilton Madrid Airport
Ranked #74 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Houston
“Great room, Food is good but not exactly in the airport”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Typically when Americans wish to stay at the airport you hear planes above and you're literally close to the airport. It's still about a 10 minute ride to the airport. Good news is that the hotel provides a free shuttle. The bar scene is lively, the food at the restaurant is good. It appears that some airlines use this hotel for thier flight crew as well. Very courteouos staff at the front desk (English speaking not a problem). Room layout is nice (contemporary) - separate rain shower stall, large separate tub, sebarate toilet area with glass door. Frosted Glass sliding doors separate the sleeping area from the bathroom. Speaker and phone in the bathroom. In room safe. Desk/work area and great lighting features in the room. It's a pity they don't offer free wifi. Nice glass elevators greet you to take you up to your room. The hotel comes recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank intwah
HiltonMadridAirport, Manager at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I am glad that you found the shuttle convenient and you liked the Hotel design, food and facilities. Team member are constantly working to exceed Hilton standards of quality. Internet service in the rooms can not be given for free because the price is fixed by Hilton corporate office. However, recently we have included a free service connection in public areas come the lobby, bar, etc..

I hope to welcome you back soon at Hilton Madrid Airport.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I got in late, which was actually early the following day. My room? Ready. After checking in and getting some breakfast (quite a nice selection in the main lobby) I retired to my room for a short nap in a great bed with a firm mattress.

The rooms are larger than othe Madrid hotels where I've stayed, and the bathroom is pretty fab. Tub and shower, separate room for toilette and bidé. The glass sink was a nice touch, but it doesn't leave much counter space.

I like to travel with my own router and Apple TV. Some hotel TVs won't work with it, but it works well here.

The executive lounge was quiet with a great hostess, offering restaurant advice and a pretty smile. The drinks and snacks are there from 6-8, and it's open bar.

The shuttle from the airport was average and tomorrow I'm checking out the shuttle to down town.

Over all, you trade a little location for the larger room, but it works for me.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Mike W
HiltonMadridAirport, Manager at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am glad to know that you had a nice stay with us and you enjoyed the services, room and facilities. Did you have time to enjoy the relaxation area? It is a nice place to relax after a long flight or a long day sightseeing the vibrant city of Madrid.

I hope to welcome you back to Hilton Madrid Airport.

Dubai, UAE
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I am a loyal Hilton Honors diamond member and chose this hotel near the airport. The hotel is very convenient to the airport and offers regular airport shuttle service. The nearest metro station into Madrid is about a 15 min easy walk. Travel time via metro to the city centre is about 25 to 30 minutes. Staff was very friendly. Upon check-n we were offered a complimentary room upgrade to the executive floor with access to the executive lounge. The executive lounge is well run with a nice evening snack buffet and good selection of beverages.
Our room was very nice in appearance until we realized the air conditioning was not working. We advised the front desk and they advised us how to set the A/C to cooling. We set the A/C and went into the city. When we returned 5 hours later our room was still a very warm 30c. I went to the front desk and asked for a room change. They contacted maintenance who acknowledged there was an A/C problem and they were working on it. Our A/C was working about 2 hours later.
If you plan to use the internet BRING A LAPTOP FOR A WIRED CONNECTION. The wireless internet was useless both in my room and in the executive lounge. Unfortunately, I only brought my I-pad and could only access the wireless internet in hallway outside my room.
The drapery in our room was falling down and stayed that way during our 3 night stay.
The bathroom was very modern looking but the shower door leaks everywhere and floods the floor every time it's used.
Restaurants were very good. The hotel bar was ok. It was very difficult to find a server to order drinks and to get a bill. The servers were nice and friendly but seemed to be under staffed and were either busy with other guests or doing other restaurant related duties. Other guests were having the same issues.
Overall the hotel is a decent place to stay. Hopefully, the hotel management will address these issues.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonMadridAirport, General Manager at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for sharing this review with us.

At Hilton Madrid Airport we truly appreciate your feedback as this helps us to further improve our service levels time after time. I sincerely apologise for the inconveniences during your stay. I have forwarded your comments to the chief Engineer to make sure these issues do not happen again in the future. We recently has experience some issues with the internet connection, the IT Manager is solving the problem to ensure a good connectivity all around the hotel and rooms. I invite you to contact me directly to give more details about your stay.

I hope you could give us the chance to change the negative impression you are now under.
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was fantastic , the staff were friendly and helpful , the room was modern and well equipped and the breakfast was varied and of a high quality . This hotel isn't in the centre of Madrid - however I would rather stay at somewhere of this standard and use the complimentary shuttle bus, taxis and metro - the metro station is about 10mins walk away and if you don't want to walk there , there are always taxis outside the hotel . My only minor gripe is that whilst we were there I couldn't get the wi fi to work - after several attempts , there was a PC available in the executive lounge - but this was also temperamental . I would thoroughly recommend this hotel - I've stayed at many Hiltons and I feel this was of a high standard - very impressed all round .

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Nice to hear that the hotel match with your expectations and you found the complementary shuttle service convenient. Team member are constantly working to exceed Hilton standards of quality. Regarding your comments about the wifi, sorry about the inconveniences caused usually the connection works well also we have included a free service connection in public areas such us the lobby, bar, etc... Fell free to contact me if you are planning to come back to the hotel.

Looking forward to welcome you back for new and unforgettable experiences.

Hotel Manager
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The last time I stayed at Barajas before staying at the Hilton Madrid Airport, I was disappointed. So this year, I decided to spend a few more dollars and stay at the Hilton. What I saved on the taxi almost paid the difference and it was an awesome stay. (They have shuttle bus pickup. I just needed to call.) The room I had was huge, comfortable and of cutting edge design. The staff were professional and helpful. Breakfast included the next morning was delicious and plentiful.
I only stayed the one night between flights but it was a pleasant experience. The dinner was also very good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
HiltonMadridAirport, Manager at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Nice to hear that you decided to stay with us in your short stay in Madrid. I am glad that you enjoyed the room, breakfast and service. If you are planning to come back to Madrid please don’t hesitate to contact us for any tips you might need.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon, maybe for a bit longer stay.

gm.madridaiport@hilton.com
Cologne
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My recent stay at the Hilton Madrid Airport didn’t start off good - the shuttle bus drove quickly right by me. Only when my Spanish husband called and threatened that I'd take a taxi and give the bill to the hotel did the bus finally arrive, after almost 30 minutes of waiting and noticing shuttles with the names of other hotels drive by (some advertising 24-hour service – the Hilton shuttle only runs until 1 a.m.). The driver didn't seem pleased, was unfriendly, the bus smelled like someone had been smoking a lot, and one of the door handles had been removed.

Upon arrival at the hotel around 1 a.m. I was able to check in rather quickly, but almost all the lights had been turned off in the cavernous lobby with no one around. I was given a room in the North Tower and walked down a very dark area to the sleek glass elevators. The black marble floors were beautiful as I could see more clearly the next day, but in the North Tower too the lighting in the atrium lobby had been turned off, making the walk to my room fairly spooky.

My room had two twin beds. Perhaps all twins are like this – I'm hardly ever given twin beds and never ask for them –, but the twin beds reminded me of my days at college. At least the hardwood flooring was nice. The room with one larger bed that I moved to on the second day had a tiled floor - in any case better than carpets.

There was no place in either room for me to unpack my small suitcase, so while in the twin I made use of the bed I wasn't sleeping in. Another impractical detail: no real place to hang up towels in the bathroom, just two small round hooks. But I liked the big bathrooms with the sliding frosted glass doors, and the spacious shower with very practical tray for soap and shampoo. The glass sink that others have praised is an eye-catcher, but only while not in use: water drops mar the appearance. The towels were huge and fluffy as mentioned in other reviews and can be a good substitute for the missing robe that usually comes with a five-star rating, that was available for purchase according to the guidebook but not available in either of my rooms. Evidently someone forgot to stock coffee and tea in both rooms, making the electric kettle with cups rather superfluous

The rooms were soundproof, so no noise at all from the busy highway right next to the hotel. The floor to ceiling windows, which I could partially open for a breath of fresh air, let in lots of light if they're clean (not the case in the first room) and gave the room a real sense of outdoors, even if the view of the office buildings wasn't inspiring.

Since Hilton advertises healthy food for breakfast, why did the Madrid Hilton offer only one kind of fish and very greasy bacon and meat? Otherwise the omelet was cooked to order; the coffee is better ordered by the cup as café con leche instead of by the pot.

Based on my five-star expectations, I was bothered by too many other little disappointments: pages torn out of the loose-leaf binder guide to the hotel, embarrassing mistakes in the English print translations and on the TV hotel information channel, no info about the city shuttle or about internet connections (I experimented with the ethernet cable and wasn’t charged, so I assume internet has become free-of-charge). Thanks to TripAdvisor I knew there was a shuttle, so when I explicitly asked the next morning I was put on the list for the 11:15 minibus – the same one with no door handle that I'd ridden in the night before, packed with other guests wanting to go downtown (about a half-hour ride). Evidently the Hilton Madrid Airport caters to guests only on layover – and I saw lots of airline staff – but I noticed quite a few other guests who also wanted to see a bit of the city. One who asked for information about the city was given a curt: “Go to the tourist information office.”

Since the very infrequent shuttle was only one-way, I had to walk back from the metro stop through areas that are definitely not pedestrian friendly (the hotel is located in a rather odd mixed residential-business zone). The cheap black-and-white map that I had to explicitly ask for was confusing with descriptions of color-coded areas. Why not simply provide a frequent shuttle to the metro and back (a five-minute ride) instead of the infrequent much longer shuttle downtown, ideally with a complimentary metro ticket for those guests who want to make use of their time in Madrid, even if just in-between flights?

At least my departure was better than my arrival: a late checkout at 2 p.m. was no problem and the minibus to the airport was much more comfortable.

I paid a ridiculously low rate from an internet wholesaler, considerably less than half of the cheapest rate on the Hilton website, and this rate is the justification for my "average" rating here on TripAdvisor. I would've been very annoyed had I paid anything close to the advertised price.

My advice: the Hilton Madrid Airport should either give up its five-star rating and offer rooms at a reduced rate or start providing the service that guests should be able to expect from a five-star hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't want to relive college dormitory days, then insist on a room with one bed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank GermanJody
HiltonMadridAirport, Director General at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

I can see that the hotel did not match your expectations. At Hilton Madrid Airport We truly appreciate your feedback as this helps us to further improve our service levels time after time. I am sorry about inconveniences caused with the shuttle. Sometimes the shuttle service suffers delays do to the traffic jambs in the city. Regarding the room, sorry about the stockless (coffee and tea) I have personally forwarded this comment to the Executie Housekeeper to avoid similar situations in the future. In La plaza restaurant we always offer a wide range of healthy option such as cereals, yogurts, salads... The Reserva Grill Restaurant offers 5 kids of fish’s seabass, codfish, squid, tuna and lobster. Our front desk team are always at guest disposal to inform and provide shuttle schedules when guests need it. I invite you to contact me directly to give me more details about your stay.

I hope to welcome you back soon to change the bad impression you have about the hotel.

gm.madridairport@hilton.com
Walvis Bay
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I shall stay in this hotel again. Friendly staff, comfortable , clean and I think just that little bit of extra. I recommend this hotel to my clients. The free shuttle from the airport to the hotel is also a plus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HiltonMadridAirport, Manager at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to hear that you shall stay with us again. We can see that we have fulfil your expectations. Our team members are always at the guest disposal to provide and excellent service. Please fell free to contact us for any special request in your next stay.

I hope to welcome you back soon.