“Acceptable stay at Hilton Madrid Airport” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hilton Madrid Airport
Ranked #74 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
danville, ca
“Acceptable stay at Hilton Madrid Airport”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just left the Hilton at Madrid Barajas Airport. I needed a place to stay for one night near the massive Madrid Airport before returning home to the US. I selected a 5 star hotel (4.5 on tripadvisor) on Hotwire.com for 61.85 euros plus 12 euros for extra service fees and was surprised and delighted to discover it was the Hilton at Madrid Airport when hotel name was revealed. Wow a 5 star hotel for 74 euros!! And I've stayed at other Hilton's near international airports before.

I arrived after 1:00 pm when the hotel was quiet and it was rainy outside. I asked for a higher floor but the front desk clerk said the hotel had already reserved a room for me which is on the first floor. I accepted it and when I got to my room, which was #116, I realized it was next to a busy employee exit and entrance with the view of the backside of another building 5 feet away. You can hear the door opening and closing throughout the night. Since I was only there for 1 night I decided not to complain as I did get a bargain. The one and only part that bothered me was a distinct sulpher smell coming from the bathroom which permeated the room. I smelled it as soon as I walked in but turned on the air conditioner and opened the glass door to the outdoor gravel area. In many cases, you do get what you pay for and this room is no exception.

The Hilton Madrid Airport is close to the airport but in the industrial city of Barajas which is less than 10 minutes away. Unless you have a car at your disposal, you are staying at the hotel. The complimentary hotel shuttle service to and from the airport worked well, but the van service to the Madrid city center was unavailable. Apparently guests must book in advance and the 8-10 passenger van leaves only in the morning. This is rather unfortunate and inconvenient as I've stayed at other Hilton's near major airports and they offer free shuttle service to the main part of the city throughout the day. The front desk clerk did mention that there was a large indoor shopping center within a 25 minute walk from the hotel, but no shuttle service was offered. You are on your own or must use a taxi. Public transportation is 15 minute walk away.

Pros: The price I paid was acceptable. The hotel is modern and front desk clerks were very helpful. Has a good shower and comfortable king bed. Some channels on TV were in English. Free shuttle service to and from the airport.

Cons: Hotel is not well located. Hitlon management may want to consider adding a few more shuttles throughout the day to the city center. This would be a major convenience to guests staying near the airport but still wanting to see some major sites of Madrid. Sulpher smell in the bathroom is somewhat disgusting and should be handled properly with chemicals, etc.

Conclusion: I would recommend staying at the Hitlon Madrid Airport if the price was right. Again, you do get what you pay for. Other than that, you can find other hotels in better locations and closer to the airport. I'm told some even have more amenities and breakfast included!

Room Tip: Try to avoid room#116- next to employee entrance/exit door
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HiltonMadridAirport, Manager at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I apologise about the smells in the room, in your next stay with us we will ensure to allocate you a room without smells. I invite you to contact me directly and give me more details about your stay.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

gm.madridairport@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I would only recommend this hotel if you are using points. It is too far from Madrid. We used the shuttle one time to go into Madrid. The times make it difficult to use and you cant reserve until the same day. We tried to reserve in the morning for the 12:15 shuttle only to be told that the van was being used for something else. The metro is a 20 minute walk which doesnt sound too bad until you are returning at night and are tired from a long day. The metro ride is about 15 stops and 20 minutes. Cab fare to the train station was 25 euros.
The shuttle from the airport was there to pick us up within minutes. As noted by another reviewer the hallways were very dirty. The room was ok and clean. The bed was firm and not very comfortable for someone used to sleeping on a pillowtop. I dont understand why Hilton doesnt upgrade their mattresses and linens like other chains have done. The breakfast was good. The executive lounge did not provide much in the way of snacks. This hotel was a good choice for us because we used points and breakfast and internet were free.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HiltonMadridAirport, Manager at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments on your stay with us.

We truly appreciate your feedback as this helps us to further improve our service levels time after time. I am sorry that you found hallways dirty I have personally forwarded your comment to the Executive Housekeeper in order to avoid future complains about this. Usually the Executive Lounge is full of guests having snacks that’s why we run out snacks quickly. The best time to go is during the evening when the snacks are being replaced. I invite you to contact me directly for more details about the Shuttle van and in general about your stay.

I hope to welcome you back soon at Hilton Madrid Airport.

Hotel Manager
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

If only the US Hiltons were this nice. This is a small hotel built around a central courtyard. The rooms are smallish for two but perfect for one tired jet-lagged traveler. Large bathroom, free wifi in the lobby. Also in the lobby are the restaurants: the breakfast and lunch restaurant, a dinner place and large open bar. There are no other places to eat close to the hotel so thankfully, the hotel food is suitable and adequate. I did not have dinner so i cannot speak to the food in the dining room, but the decor was chic white.
Highly recommended for the business traveler and those "on route".

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jeanette G
HiltonMadridAirport, Manager at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Nice to hear that you enjoyed the bathroom, facilities and décor. Team member are constantly working to exceed Hilton standards of quality. For your next trip to Madrid I suggest you to taste our delicious Spanish tapas at Ferrum Bar also you can enjoy the fine dining Reserva Grill restaurant specialized in grilled cuisine and with an elegant atmosphere.

I hope to welcome you back soon at Hilton Madrid Airport.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

This is a great hotel - it's clean, has great wine and food. The rooms are fantastic and if you are on the Exec floor the Exec lounge is fab. The hotel is more set up for business but if you are looking for a nice up to date hotel near the Airport then this Hotel will be for you. There is a free shuttle bus to and from the hotel which is handy.

The only downside is the location as it sits outside the main area and the metro is a 10 minute walk through a not so nice area and then 20 minutes in to Central.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonMadridAirport, Manager at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us.

I am proud that you enjoyed the rooms, food and facilities. We are aware about the location nevertheless the hotel offers a complementary shuttle service to downtown. It runs 3 times per day in the morning usually at 9:50, 11:15, and 12:15. It drops you in the city centre next to Alcala Street. The only thing, it doesn’t bring you back to the hotel and you have to book it the same day you want to take it. This service is really convenient if you don´t want to walk to the metro station. if you are planning to come back and stay with us I suggest you to use the relaxation area it is such as lovely place to relax and keep yourself fit.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed here on my final vacation day/night of my trip, before returning to the US. I had spent the previous 6 days in Barcelona and flew into the airport. There was shuttle service, but it was not well labelled to call or wait. I called and found out the van comes every 20 minutes or so.
The hotel was nice. As a diamond elite, I was upgraded to a jacuzzi suite with access to free wifi and the club lounge.
The room was very nice and modern - at the end of the hallway and not a lot of street noise.
I walked into the nearby town (about 10-15 minutes walk) and took the subway into the city center to explore with the short time I had.
When I returned, I grabbed some snacks in the club lounge (not well staffed and the food disappeared quickly); and retired for the night. The morning breakfast in the main restaurant was ok. My only disappointment was tracking down a waiter to get coffee. Nice food offerings.
I was able to sign up for a shuttle back to the airport and it was on-time.
Overall: Great property, great stay. I think I paid a little less than 100 euro pre-paid rate for a Saturday night, so I would recommend on value, too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bk_t1
HiltonMadridAirport, Manager at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hilton Madrid Airport with us.

How was your Flight back to US? I hope everything went well. It is always a pleasure for us to welcome Diamond members to the hotel. The Shuttle stop is not labelled due to the Airport policies, hotels cannot put it logos on it. Usually the executive lounge is full of guests having snacks that’s why we run out snacks quickly. We are studying the possibility to refill the snacks more often. Sorry about the inconvenient caused with the waiter getting the coffee, we have had a really busy week with high occupancy anyways I have forwarded your comment to the F&B manager. I invite you to contact my directly for more details about this situation.

Looking forwarded to welcome you back to Hilton Madrid Airport for new and unforgettable experiences.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just returned from a short weekend and big family get together in Madrid. Chose this hotel to minimise travel to/from the airport and the hotel shuttle service to the City on and of course the Buffet Breakfast.

Shuttle to/from the Airport was prompt and efficient took 5 minutes, waited about 10 minutes at the Airport. Shuttles are very regular and the minibus can be classed as "executive".

I checked in all 5 rooms we were taking. Even though I communicated weeks in advance we would like to be all on the same floor as a minimum, this could not be achieved and neither some of my other requests such as ensuring the contents of the mini-bar in our room were all alcohol free. This was a shame as the service we received whilst at the hotel was satisfactory.

The rooms were immaculate and very "Designer". Loved the Shower/Bathroom set up. The Bed was extremely comfortable. Having staying in other similar class of hotels it was a big shame that amenities such as bathroom slippers, dressing gowns were not provided as standard.

We had Buffet Breakfast included and this was fantastic, everything you would expect from a Hilton.

It was relatively quiet during our stay so we made use of the hydrotherapy pool, most of the functions works but some lacked power. The Mens Sauna was nice but the Mens Steam room was not working properly and you could see it possibly needed to be refurbished, Although it was quiet I would have expected there to be more than one mens shower in the pool gym area. Also some of the equipment to dry swim gear out which you find in Gyms etc would have been a welcome addition.

We made use of the Shuttle Service to the City in the morning. On Check in I was given incorrect timings for the last city shuttle of 1130 when in fact it was 1215 which was confirmed when I reserved it. You can only reserve this on the day you need it. So I booked it for the whole group on the 1115 and 1215 (As it is only a 8 seater) We were grateful that they managed to swap the Airport Bus (18 Seater) for us so we managed to all go together on at 1215. Took about 25 minutes to get to Retiro Park.

After travelling in Madrid we took the Metro back to the Hotel, from the Metro Stop it is about a 15/20 minute walk which is not too bad at all and probably at most a 35 minute trip into the CIty Centre dependant on where you want to go. 35 Minutes was to the Latina Quarter where we visited the Rostro Market (Flea Market runs every Sunday).

In Summary a decent designer type hotel, good levels of service although room for improvement in terms of service and facilities they provide. Good Location for the Airport and the City for a short trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I am glad that you had chosen Hilton Madrid Airport to stay with us in your family weekend. It is nice that you found the hotel location, facilities and shuttle service convenient. Regarding the time of the shuttle to the city centre I have informed the Front Office Manager in order to avoid similar situation in the future.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenient caused in the relaxation area. Our Chief engineering is checking on the Steam bath order. I do hope that you could enjoy the rest of the facilities of Relaxation Area.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Regards,

Hotel Manager
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was decent, the hallways to the rooms were very dirty and needed to be cleaned. The executive lounge was not exciting AT ALL, hardly any snacks available. The room was nice, very art deco, nice layout, dark hardwood floors, glass encased bathroom with huge jacuzzi tub and separate spa shower. A funny smell when i first walked in, but the a/c seemed to take care of it after a few hours running. Room service was good!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonMadridAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Madrid Airport, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us

Great news that you found the rooms deco nice and the bathroom huge. Thank you again to inform us about the dirtiness of the rooms and hallways, I have forwarded this comment to the Executive housekeeper to avoid this in the future. Regarding your comment about the snacks, usually you can find more snacks and variety in the evening when the snacks are reset.

I hope to welcome you back soon.