Just left the Hilton at Madrid Barajas Airport. I needed a place to stay for one night near the massive Madrid Airport before returning home to the US. I selected a 5 star hotel (4.5 on tripadvisor) on Hotwire.com for 61.85 euros plus 12 euros for extra service fees and was surprised and delighted to discover it was the Hilton at Madrid Airport when hotel name was revealed. Wow a 5 star hotel for 74 euros!! And I've stayed at other Hilton's near international airports before.
I arrived after 1:00 pm when the hotel was quiet and it was rainy outside. I asked for a higher floor but the front desk clerk said the hotel had already reserved a room for me which is on the first floor. I accepted it and when I got to my room, which was #116, I realized it was next to a busy employee exit and entrance with the view of the backside of another building 5 feet away. You can hear the door opening and closing throughout the night. Since I was only there for 1 night I decided not to complain as I did get a bargain. The one and only part that bothered me was a distinct sulpher smell coming from the bathroom which permeated the room. I smelled it as soon as I walked in but turned on the air conditioner and opened the glass door to the outdoor gravel area. In many cases, you do get what you pay for and this room is no exception.
The Hilton Madrid Airport is close to the airport but in the industrial city of Barajas which is less than 10 minutes away. Unless you have a car at your disposal, you are staying at the hotel. The complimentary hotel shuttle service to and from the airport worked well, but the van service to the Madrid city center was unavailable. Apparently guests must book in advance and the 8-10 passenger van leaves only in the morning. This is rather unfortunate and inconvenient as I've stayed at other Hilton's near major airports and they offer free shuttle service to the main part of the city throughout the day. The front desk clerk did mention that there was a large indoor shopping center within a 25 minute walk from the hotel, but no shuttle service was offered. You are on your own or must use a taxi. Public transportation is 15 minute walk away.
Pros: The price I paid was acceptable. The hotel is modern and front desk clerks were very helpful. Has a good shower and comfortable king bed. Some channels on TV were in English. Free shuttle service to and from the airport.
Cons: Hotel is not well located. Hitlon management may want to consider adding a few more shuttles throughout the day to the city center. This would be a major convenience to guests staying near the airport but still wanting to see some major sites of Madrid. Sulpher smell in the bathroom is somewhat disgusting and should be handled properly with chemicals, etc.
Conclusion: I would recommend staying at the Hitlon Madrid Airport if the price was right. Again, you do get what you pay for. Other than that, you can find other hotels in better locations and closer to the airport. I'm told some even have more amenities and breakfast included!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The stylish Hilton Madrid Airport hotel is just minutes from Madrid Barajas International Airport and the bustling cosmopolitan city of Madrid. Take advantage of the complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport and stops at attractions or use the nearby Metro station as your link to the city of Madrid.Indulge in a fantastic selection of rooms at this Madrid hotel which include impressive marble bathrooms, flat-screen LCD or plasma TVs and wireless internet access. Guest rooms feature heated floors and floor-to-ceiling windows. Executive, deluxe and relaxation rooms offer complimentary access to the Executive Lounge. Enjoy a suite that offers a separate living room and fluffy bathrobes for your comfort and convenience. Refresh with a swim in the hydrotherapeutic pool and exercise in the fully equipped fitness center.Consider the self-contained Convention Center located in the North Tower of the Hilton Madrid Airport for business conferences, celebrations and stylish Madrid weddings. Host up to 450 guests in space that includes a board room and elegant ballroom, making this Madrid airport hotel an ideal location.Savor sumptuous Mediterranean cuisine in the Reserva Grill Restaurant and enjoy tantalizing tapas and a glass of Rioja in the Ferrum Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Hilton Madrid Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Madrid Airport Hotel Madrid
- Hilton International Madrid Airport
- Madrid Hilton