“Central Location”

Ranked #38 of 277 Madrid B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Central Location”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed four nights in a triple room (w/shared bathroom) that faced the street...not too loud at all. The room looked nothing like the photos on their website; there was neither a plasma TV nor charming decor as described. In fact the room looked very tired and needed a lift. The beds were quite soft and uncomfortable and there was very little space to move around in the room.

On a positive note, the free WI-fi worked very well, the computer room supplied both Macs and PCs, there was a tiny lift that was most convenient for carting our luggage up to the 3rd floor and the shared bathrooms were always impeccably clean.
The reception speaks almost no English, but my partner is Spanish so language was not a barrier like it was for many of the other reviewers.

It was very easy to reach the hotel by metro from the airport and there is also a taxi stand located 2 mins away at the plaza. The photos other reviewers posted on Trip Advisor were instrumental in recognizing the location...which leads me to the best part of the Hostal Luz...it's centrally located within walking distance to all the major attractions which made it very easy to pop back to the hostal for a siesta before heading out for the evening!

One more note...the included breakfast at the restaurant around the corner consists of a coffee/tea and a croissant or pan con tomate. Be warned that the service staff there are unbelievably rude to everyone, so don't take it personally.

Despite all the not so perfect moments, this did not spoil our second visit to Madrid, however we would not choose to return here on our next visit, as there are many other hostals to try. A more accurate rating would be 3.5/5.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tapas_Dimsum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect when I booked Hostal Luz, but we loved it! It's in the perfect location and you get everything you need plus more (in the city center, very close to the Metro - Opera station). The hostal is on the 3rd floor (there's a very small elevator) and has a small B&B charm. The room was small, but cozy, with all the same amenities we had elsewhere in Spain. You get tickets for free breakfast at a very nice local restaurant. There are limited options, but it's still very nice. The free computers/internet are awesome, the nicest we saw in Spain and there are 3, so no trouble finding an open one. The rate is great too, considering it's in the heart of Madrid.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 22, 2011

This hostal is in the heart of everything. Anything you could possibly want is nearby, plaza mayor, puerta del sol, metro, restaurants, nightlife, Mercado de san Miguel, the cathedral and palace. We stayed here on our last leg of our trip and we had read all the reviews and so we knew what to expect. Nonetheless, we were pleasantly surprised with the accommodations. Everything was new on the end where we were staying, the tv worked, we had a separate bathroom that was quite ample and we overlooked the cute courtyard which reduced the noise when we had the window open. The rooms weren’t large but they were extremely well taken care of. The only minor complaint would be that you can hear everything that goes on in the hallway. It didn’t bother us though. And most importantly, the women who ran the place, Margarita was really helpful. We had bought tickets for a Real Madrid game and they had arrived safely at the hostel. She also gave us recommendations when needed.
The WiFi was excellent. We never had any issues.
The breakfast was good too, it was juice, coffee and a sandwich. One thing we didn’t know was that the breakfast is served in a restaurant a couple of blocks away. On our last day, it was a Madrid holiday and so the restaurant was closed, a minor inconvenience. For the price, you can’t beat this hostal, and the location was excellent too. We barely used transportation since everything was so walkable, even to Gran Via or Plaza de Santa Ana, it was a 10-15 minute walk.

Room Tip: Get a room on the newer side where there is a courtyard.
Sheffield
Reviewed November 21, 2011

The pictures shown on the page has nothing in similar what we had got. Or to say it more accurately there were two parts of hostel. The first part for higher prices, that looked like on the pictures and the second part that was a miserable shadow of what you can see on the pictures presented on the hostelbookers pages (we booked rooms for ~ 20E). It would be honest if Hostal Luz presented both parts of the hostel on the pages to avoid disappointing surprises. Also it was said that breakfast is included in the price, but the lady that was in the reception announced us that 'in our price breakfast is not included'. As she wasn't speak English it was hard to discuss with her. Fortunately on the next day I was able to show her the translation of hostlebookers page where it was clearly stated what is included in the price. As the results we received vouchers for breakfast, but she wasn't neither happy with it nor polite. To make it worse there was no heating during first night of our stay (November), so we slept warmly dressed. To be honest, heating was not stated in 'included' features, so maybe that was the reason. After our complaint this was fixed for the next day.

The good point is a very good location, only 5 minutes walking to Palacio Real etc., and internet access with breathtaking monitors.

Here we go with whole list what I didn't like, let's hope they will improve at least some of these:
- no foreign languages spoken by receptionist
- the receptionist was surprised that we have a booking here, fortunately we got some room
- unfriendly staff
- dishonest description
- breakfast included, but this was whole story: we needed to prove that breakfast is included on the description from hostelbookers.com, when we went to cafe where breakfastast was served, there was nobody speaking foreign languages, it was supposed to be open from 8am (08:15 it was still closed and nobody around), from rich breakfast menu we could pick only 4 items (coffee/tee and croissant/churros) having aside juices, other hot drinks, and other meals I'd rather expect to be a breakfast. So in general you have again this nice disappointing feeling that something is not good here
- no wardrobe in the room, we need to put the jackets on the single chair
- no any other place to put your clothes
- the back side of the bed was separated/displaced from the 'main part'
- broken heating did this picture full
To summarize, if you want to have a nice stay for ~20E pick the different hostel to avoid stress.

3 Thank o.w.a.d
margarita69, Propietario at Luz Madrid Rooms, responded to this review, February 20, 2017
APOLOGY OF 20 EUROS WITH BREAKFAST INCLUDED.
AT LEAST YOU NEVER HAVE MORE and if you choose economical places to travel you have to keep in mind that the budget is what counts.
BAD BUDGET WRONG COMMENT
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I came to Hostal Luz twice in my stay in madrid. The hotel was really clean, smelled nice and the room was warm. I stayed in the ensuite room the first stay and the shared bathroom in the second. It was the best location- close to everything. The opera, puerta de sol, the metro, etc. Also, it came with free breakfast at a cafe close by. All in all, great price and value for my budget and needs.
I recommend staying in the ensuite as you don´t have to share the bathroom and request a quite room away from the front. Also, bear in mind that you have to look up to find the hotel and it´s on the 3rd floor and the inkeeper primarily speaks spanish- so it would be helpful to brush up on it. Other than that great for a stay in madrid.

Room Tip: Get an Ensuite room
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Weston, Connecticut
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I paid 59 Euros to stay here for a night, which was 15% off the normal rate. I didn't do exhaustive research on other area hotels, but that seemed a little high for a hostal.

The location of the hostal is great. Only a short 2-minute walk from the Opera Metro Station. I had a little trouble locating it - look for the yellow "Hostal Luz" sign sticking out of the third floor window. There is a lack of signage, but eventually I rang the correct doorbell on the third floor. I didn't realize that the women at reception don't speak english, so I'm glad that I know enough spanish to get by. I feel like if you don't know any spanish, staying at this hostal might be difficult.

We stayed in a room right next to reception. It was clean and entirely adequate, but definitely had more of a hostal rather than hotel feel (the bedspreads were pink and purple and looked like they came from a 10 year old girl's room). We didn't use the television, so I can't speak to that, but there was a nice flat screen in the room. Our room had an attached bathroom with great water pressure and plenty of warm water. I was also pleasantly surprised that the hostal included toiletries. The towels were very large and fluffy.

The included breakfast was at a restaurant in the Opera plaza, but consisted only of a croissant and tea/coffee. It was perfectly lovely, but not a very hearty breakfast. Breakfast is served from 8-12pm which is a pretty large window.

The location is great. It is so easy to walk to the major downtown sights of a Madrid. All are within an easy 15 minute walk.

The ladies at reception were very very nice, and did their best to tell me about Madrid to maximize my short stay. They showed me where to go in Madrid, and informed me of the free night from 6-8pm at the Prado, which I really appreciated. Of course, these conversations were all in spanish.

Overall it was very nice. I would definitely recommend it and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed here for a night because my reservation was messed up. I made my reservation on line and just wrote down my confirmation number since I don't have access to the printer. The small woman at the front desk insisted for my print out reservation. I insisted I have the confirmation number. We went back and forth (maybe it has something to do with language barrier) but it just ruined my day.

The room was clean and air conditioned. It was in the center of everything. I like the location, the room, the cleanliness, but there was no warmth in this place having just stayed in a B&B that treated me warmly.

Room Tip: There's a restaurant just below that serves hamburger. They open at around 9pm
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo