“Clean and tidy - but better for kids who don't need sleep!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostal Camino

Hostal Camino
and 1 more site!
Hostal Camino
Ranked #356 of 410 Specialty Lodging in Madrid
Birmingham
“Clean and tidy - but better for kids who don't need sleep!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

First I would say that the need to climb, effectively, six flights of stairs to reception is a drawback - particularly for any elderly or infirm, particularly when first arriving with luggage. There is no elevator.

But by far the worst aspect is the noise. There is no soundproof/ fire door between rooms and reception and the area is an echo chamber. The hostel does not give residents outside door keys thus an unacceptably loud electronic alert in reception draws attention to someone pressing the outside bell. This goes on all night with young people returning from clubs at all hours of the morning. I am not a sound sleeper and this proved very taxing. In addition the walls are paper thin and your neighbours conversations and laughter can be heard all the time.

I feel my views may have improved had I been given a front facing balcony room, instead I was given a rear room, the view outside being a concrete wall, so it felt like a small monks cell.

On the good side, the staff are friendly, the rooms are very clean and they have clearly tried to modernise with good air conditioning. They are however stuck with the basic bricks and mortar of an old building and all its drawbacks. The location is certainly handy to Central Madrid so it has its good points.

In conclusion I would not stay there again, mainly because,at 60, I need my sleep. If I was a young guy into clubbing and who just wanted a place to bed down it would probably be ideal, especially if you can sleep through an air-raid.

• Liked — Cleanliness and convenience to centre
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank LeVoyageurBirmingham

Business
Amsterdam
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

In a desperate search for a place to sleep, I finally ended up at hostal Camino in Chueca. It's located on the 3rd and 4th floor, with only a stairway.. Not really a big problem, i think..
Fortunately they had a room left for the weekend, a doublebed for about 50 euros a night. The room turned out to be quite small but clean, with a tiny bathroom, quite decent and clean as well. We had just one small window on the inside of the building.
At night we noticed the hostal is actually kind of noisy. Our room was close to the entrance and we could hear the doorbell everytime it rang (you have to ring the bell to get in downstairs). Like the walls were made of paper, you could actually hear the conversations in the hallway and there were of course a lot of people walking in and out all night. In the morning some children running around and screaming... And nobody of the people working there seemed to care about that...
Oh well, with some earplugs in you can sleep well for a cheap price... The location is great as well, chueca is a nice and busy area, with lots of great bars, shops and restaurants just around the corner.
Overall, quite ok value for money. I've seen places worse than this for the same money... Maybe not the best though for families with children or something.. One time coming back to the hostal in the afternoon we were welcomed by two drunk dragqueens at the door downstairs :)... Was funny, but I can imagine not everybody would be that amused..

• Liked — Ok value for not too much money
  • Disliked — The NOISE!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank joepsi

Travelers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Mallorca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2007

I stayed here for two nights. My friend and I left it a little bit too late to book any accommodation in Madrid for the "Puente de la Constitución" in December, and ended up ringing every single hostal in Madrid that we found in a hostal guide.

We got to the letter "C" and found a room in the Hostal Camino, in Chueca.

Chueca is quite a good place to stay, it's a lively area... with lots of things going on. It's a well known gay area of Madrid. There is a metro station virtually 2 minutes from the hostal, that's really good.

That's about the only thing good about this hostal. The Hostal Camino is on the third floor a building, not a great start if you've got heavy luggage with you.

The rooms are OK in size, but not very clean. I have a picture of the net curtain somewhere, I will see if I can add it to this review at a later date. The curtain was very, very dirty... There were burns on the bed cover and holes in the matress. There was a piece of (used) chewing gum on the headboard. The bedroom stank of smoke and was just dirty in general.

The bathroom was clean, thank goodness.

There was a lot of noise at night, and we didn't even go to bed early... We probably got in around 3.30 am and as you can expect, thought we would be able to sleep OK. We were wrong. You can hear noise from other bedrooms, the walls are paper thin. People talking, laughing, shouting, having fun... That's all we could hear. And I recall being woken by somebody trying to open our door, obviously they had mistaken their room with ours.

We didn't even bother going to sleep the following night, we knew that we wouldn't get any rest so we just stayed up all night. We got in around 08.00 am, packed our bags and went to find some much needed strong coffee!!!.

They don't seem to have good room allocation system going on either... But I have to say that the receptionists were quite friendly.

• Liked — Close to the metro
  • Disliked — Poor cleanliness, noise from other rooms
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled with friends
3 Thank Daniella B
Geneva
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2007

It is a hostal and on the third floor BUT they have just refreshed it and it's quite modern. We stayed in room 209 (anywhere on this floor the rooms are the same) and it was perfect, very clean just so nice. The staff is very kind, very helpful and well the location is fabulous if you know Chueca and want to be in the neighborhood.
I will go back anytime i go to Madrid, on a small budjet!!

Stayed December 2006