Sudamericana Hostal
$126
$204
Only YOU Hotels
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 18, 2011

As we were arriving late, my boyfriend called the hostel and informed them that our approximate time of arrival will be 01.00 am.
As we arrived to the door, we rang the bell, but there was no answer. We called the hostal, and the person literally yelled in the phone that we are not supposed to ring the door bell at this hour (during 3 times that we talked on the phone with this person he never mentioned to us that the area was residential and that we should not ring the door. Neither there was any kind of a note outside, that we should not do that.)
When we entered the building and took the elevator on the 6th floor, where the hostal was located, the owner came out, and started to yell at us, that we should not have touched the door of the elevator, because now he has to come out and fix it (there was no any sign either of which door should be opened and which door should not). My boyfriend in very respectful tone explained that there was no any sign, and that we are sorry, but we didn't know. But the owner stared to yell at him, that he is Mexican, and he should know better.
When we wanted to pay by card (as it said on the website during the booking, we can pay by card), he refused us accommodation, and said that we have to go and fing ATM, because he does not accept cards at this time. I told him that according to the reservation email, we can pay by card. We offered to pay for one night cash, and the rest - the next morning. The owner grabbed the paper from my hands very aggressively, yelled at us: "I don't care about your paper! You go get the money now or get out of here!" and left.
We are absolutely sure that this treatment was due to the nationality of my boyfriend, as the owner of the hostal brought it up in the conversation almost right away by pointing out the relation of nationality of my boyfriend and his level of education.
You can stay in this hostal, if you are ready to be treated like nothing just to pay a little less.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tatsiana_by
Reviewed February 8, 2011

It is amusing in hindsight that places like this manage to survive. It was an extremely weird setup and I'm not normally a fussy traveller at all. I wanted to go against the grain and give this place a positive review but simply can't bring myself to do it.

There are lots of other hostels around, I strongly recommend checking them out first.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed December 2, 2010

I only stayed 1 night, but found Sudamericana to be more than adequate for the price. I was not expecting much given the reviews I read but was pleasantly surprised. Maybe the management has improved? I did notice that there was a sign posted saying that the hotel had received official compliants. Anyways, I wandered into the Paseo del Prado address, which is actually not where I was supposed to check in. The man working there (aka Santa) was really nice about it and gave me a comfortable, well furnished room. The bathroom was run-down but clean enough.
So I didn't have the experience of walking 10 minutes to another location, but for the dirt-cheap price, I wouldn't really have minded. There's no way you can find cheaper private rooms in the heart of Madrid, so I'd say it's worth the gamble.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ahl899
Reviewed August 22, 2010

things just kept going wrong.

I didn't read any of these reviews until after I had booked the room - a single with shared bathroom for 19€. When I arrived I was expecting something weird; indeed the owner called me five minutes after my check-in time to ask where I was. When I got to the hostel (which is in fact one of three converted apartments owned by this one guy) I nearly fell in love. Yes, the guy is old. Yes, his beard is immense. Yes, he is a little overweight. But creepy?! The owner is honestly the sweetest man I've ever met. Check-in was relatively quick, and he even offered to upgrade me to an en-suite for no extra charge*. Minutes later a Romanian woman arrived to take me to the second of the three hostels - about a 10 minute walk away if you have luggage, and a hill is involved.

Arriving at the hostal I was staying in, I wasn't unimpressed. Yes, it is basic, but perfectly adequate as a base for exploring Madrid. The first problem was the en-suite room (according to the owner, this is the only one in the second hostel, called Hostal del Castro), which had no windows, ventilation of any kind or any means of keeping cool. Immediately I told the owner I was unhappy with this and was moved to a perfectly pleasant room - again, basic, but with a wardrobe, bunkbed, amazingly soft sheets and a balcony where can you go wrong?

Before I complain some more, I should note that the lengthy review with stories of lock-ins and stolen passports must be a load of rubbish, made up from some little things that may have gone wrong. Like the door handles, which you have to turn the other way in order to open the door. The Romanian woman was keen to show me this; I think she has the interweb.

There were two big problems with this place, though. The first was the lack of communication between the (two?!) staff. From what I could tell, the only employee is this Romanian woman, who answers directly to the owner (who lives in the Hostel directly on Paseo de Prado). On several occasions the woman near told me off for doing something the owner had said I could do. The lack of staff may also explain why my room was never serviced in the three days there - a change of sheets after a sweaty night in Madrid would not go amiss. My second problem (admittedly this is more personal than general, but still influenced my opinion) was the mattress in my room, which was apparently scented with something akin to pot pourri. My problem was that I am severley allergic to such fragrances, and by the end of the first night I had developed a throat infection.

If you are looking for a cheap hotel in Madrid which you are not going to use for anything more than sleep (and I mean NOTHING more, a Spanish couple left after 10 minutes...), this is acceptable. Sure, there are going to be better places, but it really isn't terrible. Bear in mind though that the management and staff are terribly poor.

(If you have allergies, this place may kill you).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2010

With such wildly-polarised reviews, you can bet the truth is somewhere in between. It's certainly not like something out of a horror film, and, in fact, there are far more positive than negative features about this place; just for openers, a double room there, with shower and toilet, cost us 65 euros for two nights (booked through Budgetplaces), and it's not hard to pay that for a single night in Madrid nowadays! Secondly, the location: three minutes' walk from the Prado, on a wide and pleasant boulevard, with an ATM in the building next door, and nearly opposite a tourist information office, is pretty convenient, to say the least. And the room itself was clean and pleasant, with a tiny but serviceable bathroom. Frankly, the savings we made on two nights there made us glad we'd chosen Sudamericana.

But there are negatives. The first one is, that the place where you check in may not be the place where you actually sleep. They have two locations, and while everyone checks in at the address along the Paseo del Prado, many people (including us) will then have to follow the proprietor )sheets and towels in her hand) along the street to the actual room. This was a bit of a worry, because we had no idea how far this might wind up being (the English spoken by the sheet-carrier ran only as far as "just a little"), and we didn't know whether we'd be happy with what we saw. Fortunately, the second building is, if anything, more pleasant than the main one, with a much more modern lift... and it's only a three-minute walk (however, there may be a third or fourth building that I don't know about!)

The main disadvantage of the Sudamericana is, without doubt, the reception lady, already mentioned here in earlier posts. I guess she must have had some unpleasant experiences with guests in the past, because when she greets you she is ready to think the worst right away... a really unpleasant attitude. She curtly beckoned us to a saet "You wait there... momentito", and left us for at least fifteen minutes. Occasionally she'd walk by, but her conversation in all that time was limited to one word ("Momentitio") until she handed us the bill. After we ascertained that we weren't actually sleeping in the same building as the reception, we said (I think quite fairly) that, since we didn't know that, we really would like to see the room before paying. Suddenly her English improved markedly, but not, I fear, to our advantage. "Why you want to see a room? You see a cathedral, you don't see a room! You see a painting, you don't see a room!" She was REALLY hostile from that point on, and fially announced that she wouldn't take us to the room at all, so we should sit and wait "Momentito". We were about to walk out, when suddenly, salvation! Another lady, as sweet as could be, turned up with the sheets and towels, and led us down the road to the room, and insisted we have a good look at everything before we paid. Really, she couldn't have been sweeter -- what a contrast! -- and if we'd encountered her and only her, we would have written a VERY positive review of Hostal Sudamericana.

As it is, we can say that it's exceptional value for money, it's clean, and at least one of its buildings is extremely well-located, and you MIGHT just get by without having to encounter "THAT woman". But be prepared for a few unpleasant minutes to start your Sudamericana experience. If only the reception lady would take some basic training in being a host, this would be a gem of a find... do you think if I mentioned this to Budgetplaces, that they might tactfully pass on that message?

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple