Mad Hostel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Catalonia Las Cortes(Madrid)
$230
$221
  • Restaurant
Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel(Madrid)
$128
$115
Melia Castilla(Madrid)
$172
$146
  • Pool
Ayre Gran Hotel Colon(Madrid)
$152
$98
Ayre Hoteles
  • Restaurant
Ibis Madrid Calle Alcala(Madrid)(Great Value!)
$72
  • Restaurant
ILUNION Alcala Norte(Madrid)(Great Value!)
$73
$62
Official Site
  • Restaurant
Tryp Madrid Cibeles Hotel(Madrid)
$225
$112
  • Room Service
ILUNION Atrium(Madrid)(Great Value!)
$91
$72
Official Site
  • Restaurant
Tryp Madrid Chamartin(Madrid)(Great Value!)
$137
$69
  • Pool
Hotel Nuevo Madrid(Madrid)(Great Value!)
$64
$61
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfree breakfastrooftop barpub crawltapas tourwalking tourroom keyquiet streetcommon areasyour luggageclean roomsthe location is perfectplaza mayorcity centrecerealsangriaroommateseurope
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I liked staying at this hostel. It was clean and quite central. Close to a metro therefore close to most attractions. Staff are friendly although not all since people at reception change all the time. The room is quite small but thats normal for a 6 bed room. Lockers are not that small so a hand luggage would fit comfortably. The only problem I had was with unlocking the the door to our room. Breakfast is included.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Mad hostel is basically like its name 'mad'. The hostel atmosphere could depend on how you view it. It could be as mad as you want (as they organise parties regularly) At Mad hostel, you'll find all sorts of activities you want. I went on free city walking tour and pub crawl (which is the best!) they co-organised it with the cats hostel and other hostels nearby! So it's a great chance to meet new people from all around.

The toilet is very clean and there you'll find that everything is very organised. They have a rooftop with a bar which you can go up and chill on the top. (the bar is quite a reasonably price, compared to other bars in Madrid)

The pub crawl is mad but was one of my favourite! Definitely returning back to Mad hostel again.

P.s. The door is very hard to open!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Loved the place. Great location, great room but pretty poor service.
My friend and I stayed here in July 2013, great weather. The markets just down the road on a sunday are incredible and it was really close to walk to everything. The roof top bar wasnt really much fun at night but a great place to relax during the day and sunbake (meybe they could invest in some sun lounges?) This place tended to attract very cool people from all over, we made some great friends there. We opted for a private room which was wonderfully decorated, not the cmfiest beds and it was very noisy all night due to the street below but we thoroughly enjoyed the room and would suggest people to opt for this if they prefer a bit more space!

The people working on the front desk however couldnt be less helpful. When we checked in we were told we had to wait as the room was not ready, even though it was after the advertised check in time. The gentleman seemed more interested in his phone than adressing us each time we went to ask a question. Addionally when we asked for some help in booking some train tickets as the website would not work on our phone and was entirely in Spanish (my spanish is basic at best) he made me feel like i had asked him to run a marathon carrying me on his back. Had the computers been working at the time we would have happily done this ourselves but instead he insisted on making it as difficult as possible.

The breakfast is very average also, id recommend getting something else and paying for it or getting soem supplies and keeping them in the kitchen.

Also, would suggest them investing in a knife for the kicthen. A basic necessity of a hostel i would think, but alas, we were left to using a spoon to prepare our meals.

All in all definitely a place to stay but i suggest they work on employing people at the front desk who actually want to be there (I know the irish cleaner would have loved to be working on the front desk and done a really great job of it, rather than washing the floors, which were impecable).

Room Tip: Get the private twin room, up the top next to the roof terrace!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I admittedly did not have a great time here, but I don't think it was as terrible a place as its rating suggests. A lot depends on whether or not you are rooming with decent people. This hostel, and its sister hostel, have reputations as party hostels, so yes, a lot of people who stay here have come to party. But the hostel does have some good points that might make it worth staying at:

- Good location. Close to the Metro, easy walking distance to La Reina Sofia, botanical gardens, Prado, nightlife, etc.
- Free and/or organized activities with its sister hostel
- Good security, big lockers in the rooms
- Laundry facilities
- Decent free breakfast, that is pretty sparsely attended since everyone stays out so late
- Good wifi connection throughout the hostel
- Clean rooms, clean bathrooms

The negatives:
- The rooms are small, with little ventilation. I was in the 6-bed mixed dorm, and with 5 people in it, the air was rather thick in the morning, even if the window was open. BUT I noticed that our dorm (which was in the corner) had a much smaller window compared to the other rooms along the corridor, and I think those are 4-bed dorms. So it might be fine if you're willing to pay a bit more for those rooms
- Drunken roommates/guests. There's a lot of them, no denying it. And there's only one overhead light in the room, which they'll likely turn on when they stumble back in at 6am.
- Shower stalls are small, and the only hooks for your stuff are outside the door, including the hook for a towel.

Anyway, if I was coming with a group of 3 or 5 friends, I would totally book a 4 or 6-bed dorm here. As a solo traveller who was rooming with 4 drunkards, this was not a good stay, but I do think the hostel has enough good points to merit a decent review. Just depends on who you end up sharing a room with, which may or may not be in your control.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank rsvplcw
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The room was nice and had space to walk around. Good location, can walk to most anywhere.
Breakfast a little slim, I like yogert and granola.
Great person who did the tour of Madrid. Learned alot and he kept my attention. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, it was quiet and stairs weren't bad. The key thing for the main door was wierd.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel