“Great stay - highly recommend!”
Review of Room Mate Mario

Ranked #43 of 442 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I read someone’s trip report, canceled my other hotel reservation, reserved a Junior Suite at Room Mate Mario, and was so glad I did. We had room #201, a spacious room with a very comfortable bed and 2 big windows that opened onto Campomanes street and let in a lot of great natural light, which can be mostly blocked by closing the shutters on the outside of the windows. The street is one way, and with the double-paned windows closed at night and the quiet air conditioner on, it was a quiet sleep the 2 nights we were there (Sunday and Monday nights). We slept great!

The location is fantastic, less than a block up Campomanes from the Opera house and metro, 20 minutes walk to the Prado, and close to lots of fun tapas places at night so you can be out late and enjoy a easy stroll to get back “home”.

We missed having a quick coffee in the room in the morning, and I didn’t realize you can ask for an electric kettle until I was writing this review! The only small negative was the shower... the nozzle had great pressure so it had to be wrapped around the wall mount bar keep it in place or it sprayed all over.

Great stay, highly recommend.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite #201 was spacious, and on Sunday and Monday nights, nice and quiet
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nora_Arrizurieta, Director de Recepción at Room Mate Mario, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mario with other tripadvisor readers.

We are really grateful with your nice words about our location and rooms. Great choice our junior suite!!

For your next stay, we will keep our kettle for you!!!

Room Mate Mario

Write a ReviewReviews (1,979)

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed 6 nights at this hotel in May 2013 and I had a wonderful experience. Right from check in, I knew I would love this place.

I requested a room on a higher floor, far from elevators and facing the street and that's exactly what I got! I asked if I could use the mini-bar to store some of my stuff and not only did they let me do that, but they emptied the mini-fridge so I could have it all by myself. I was also offered to change room the next day if I ever found the street noise to be too loud (which wasn't a problem at all if I closed the window). I was then given maps of the city with some recommendations. A very warm welcome.

As for the room, It was big enough for me (I was by myself but it would be more than enough for two people as well), it had a "double" bed (which was two single beds tied together, but that didn't bother me at all), a mini-bar, a safe, a little desk, a chair, places to hang your clothes and a place to put your suitcase. Wi-Fi was free, very fast and reliable. The bathroom was also big enough, with a very nice shower with a good flow and some places to put your personal stuff. A very functional room.

Everything was clean, towels were changed daily, I couldn't fault the cleaning staff, they did a wonderful job. Front desk staff were also very nice, friendly and helpful. I asked once where I could find a washing/drying machine and the guy at the hotel wasn't sure, so he took the time to place a phone call and do some researches on the Internet for me.

Breakfast was included in my rate and I'm glad it was because it really was a complete breakfast. Bread, croissants, different kind of cheese (even brie which is my favorite), ham, chorizo, scrambled eggs, bacon, fruits, different kind of juices and coffee, cakes, etc... They had so much variety that even after 6 breakfast there I didn't feel the need to have breakfast elsewhere. They also had a very nice place to eat with plenty of seats. Everything in this hotel seem very modern, stylish and eco-friendly!

Location was very good! Right next to the Opera subway station and a two minute walk to the Plaza de Oriente, a five minute walk to the Puerta del Sol and a five minute walk to the Plaza Mayor. I walked most of the time, but when I needed the metro, It was right next to the hotel and one of the main hub (Sol) was a five minute walk.

The only bad thing I could say about this hotel is that the walls are not very soundproofed. I could hear everyone talking in the corridor. On the first few nights, there were people from a group going in and out of their room all night, talking loud and knocking at doors and so on... and I could hear them very well. I had to put earplugs (I'm a light sleeper I must admit).

That is however the only little downside for such a great hotel and a great stay. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are not that noisy if you close the window and there is a little (a very lit...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Nora_Arrizurieta, Director de Recepción at Room Mate Mario, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear guest,

Sometimes is so difficult to find the words to express our biggest gratitude.

Your review is one of the best that I have ever read.

Thank you so much for your nice words about Mario and the staff.

Hope to see you here again!!

Front desk manager

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Just returned from 5 nights in Madrid and Room Mate Mario was the perfect base for this trip. I love a modern hotel, which this was - with quirky brightly coloured rooms. I also like to start with a good breakfast and again no disappointment. A large selection of hot, cold, continental, English etc was available and ample seating.
By far the biggest selling point, which I didn't totally understand until we were there, was the location which was unbelievable. Approx 200 metres from the palace, about 20 metres from the opera house and square, metro etc and everything was in close proximity.
The price for all the perks this hotel offered was also amazing and the room was a very good size for such a central location. If I were to give any negative, all that I could say is that the paint work & furniture etc was looking a little tired but this is inevitable in a predominantly white room - but this did not affect our enjoyment of the trip in any way - which was truly excellent, Madrid is definitely a hidden gem. Having done a different European city every May for the last 9 years this is not an idle comment. It has been one of my most favourite city breaks.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nora_Arrizurieta, Director de Recepción at Room Mate Mario, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Nicky,

There is no way to thank your comment, so complete, about your base camp in Madrid: Mario!

Do not doubt in contacting me if you require a new booking in Madrid. In this way I hope that we can offer you the service that you expected.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Madrid and before this trip I hadn't fallen in love with any particular hotel there. Room Mate Mario has now fixed that problem.
From our arrival and warm welcome, to the lovely welcome amenity for our honeymoon and spacious room - we loved our stay.
The location is fabulous and we literally walked everywhere in Madrid from the hotel base day and night.
Front desk staff were superb and helpful - helping with local dining options, taxi rides and general local information.
I love the quirky in room collateral and information around the hotel.
Overall it was a wonderful stay and a wonderful hotel - highly recommend staying here - especially since it is such great value for money.

Room Tip: we chose the junior suite - which was more a large spacious room than the standard suite that you ma...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nora_Arrizurieta, Director de Recepción at Room Mate Mario, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

In love with Mario!!

Thank you so much for your nice review about your room mate in Madrid!

Hope to see you again, maybe in your first anniversary???

Best regards!!!

Front desk Manager

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Ignoring the rain outside,
Great welcome, lovely location and room as described (although not really a suite....more a large room.
Wifi strong and included in price together with well stocked breakfast (open from 0730)
The only issues were the curtains - I prefer blackout ones but in the morning I realised there were shutters I could have used....my fault, noise outside the room 101 from guests using lift and some noise from street with cars driving in wet roads.
Check out as efficient as the arrival and taxi rank 50m along street.
Will use again but maybe seek another 'suite' away from lift and street side.
Finally, price at €113 incl b/fast is very good (compare €230 per night for hotel just booked in Sweden)

Room Tip: A room away from elevator and road side is a good idea.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Nora_Arrizurieta, Director de Recepción at Room Mate Mario, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to express our most sincere appreciation for taking the time in writing regarding your stay at Room Mate Mario.

Wonderful experience for our wonderful guests!!

This year, the rain is our new room-mate.

Hope you will enjoy in a sunny Madrid the next time, always with Mario!!

Best regards,

Reviewed May 21, 2013

What an ideal location for this city centre hotel. Set in a side street near to the Opera, this hotel has all you need for the short city break. The rooms are 'boutique' in style well set out and very comfortable. Breakfast was buffet style and the staff were friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nora_Arrizurieta, Director de Recepción at Room Mate Mario, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Rod,

With your nice words, you have given us the best award that we can receive!

Thank you so much for sharing your review!!

See you again in Mario!!

Regards,

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights at the beginning of our Spain trip. Loved the location - we walked to all the major museums, shopping and our favourite market San Miguel. Rooms are very stylish - we had booked a junior suite. Our room overlooked the street and was sometimes noisy at night so if you are a light sleeper ask for a room overlooking the courtyard. Something we would have liked in our room is a kettle. We would definitely recommend as an accommodation option in Madrid.

• Stayed: April 2013
Nora_Arrizurieta, Director de Recepción at Room Mate Mario, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Mr. Perth

We are really grateful with your nice words about our location and rooms.

For your next stay, we can show you another junior suite, but overlooking the courtyard, that could be more quiet for you.

You can also ask for a kettle in the front desk whenever you want. We have two free for our customers.