“Great hotel”

Senator Castellana Hotel
Ranked #223 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Once again this hotel was great value for money. the staff are always friendly and helpfull.
We were at the hotel for two consecutive weekends in November. Breakfast was of good quality and enjoyable. The rooms are clean and functional.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the street, you may get some noise in rooms overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Hotel it's located near Estádio Barnabéu, close to Cuzco and Tetuan Metro Station. If you are coming for Barajas airport Cuzco station it's the best exit (change in Nuevos Ministério to line 10 towards Hospital del Norte)... if you are going to city center I believe Tetuan station it's better and nearest (find SuperCor supermarket, behind the hotel entrance, still walking foward and you'll see the metro station in the main street).
The hotel localization: It's far from city center... you always has to take the metro. It's a safe area, I think. Near you have some coffees and restaurants, two supermerkets, a few shops...

The rooms:modern, large and very clean. The only problem was the noise from calefaction. Was difficult to sleep with that noise coming from a grate of the ceiing room. I questioned the recepcionist that was not even there...we'll see tomorrow, he said...ok, I understand that was 2a.m. but... I asked if it was possible to change room the next morning and he hastened to say the hotel was complete.
You can hear the noise from the corridors... some people do not know what means respect and this is not a hotel problem.

Service: Excluding that guy.... the all staff was very friendly.

The breakfast: Good, very very reasonable ... hot drinks: coffee, milk, tea... expresso coffee is not included... you have juices, breads, cereals, yoghurts, pastry, cheese, ham, jam and .... Fruit?? the only negative point at breakfast, you don't have a average sellection... they always are replacing the food.

If I turn back??? No... I slept 3 nights with that anoying noise from calefaction... But If the hotel change that... I can try to change my opinion too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed two nights in this property last month and it was definitely not the best. The red-haired receptionist was very rude and I hadn't even seen the room yet....typically small as most European hotel rooms are, but the bed was very uncomfortable, the walls were thin (I could hear neighbouring rooms conversations), and the TV did not work. When I had asked reception where to report my wallet having been stolen (on the metro), she directed us to a building that turned out to be closed. IAlthough the rooms need major help, I felt that the staff was the the biggest letdown at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank traveller32canada
Reviewed November 6, 2012

At a first glance, this is a clean and comfortable hotel within a short walking distance of a metro station. However, once you spend some time in the rooms problems become apparent. I stayed a total of 3 nights in 2 different rooms with a few days' break in between. The worst part was that there is a gym within the same building and there is constant loud noise of weights being thrown around or hit against each other until 11 pm and starts again at 7am. Apart from the fact that it is not possible to sleep while the gym is open, it also drove me mad just getting ready to go out. There was also a stuffy smell in the room, coming out of the air-con, I think, that was there when I first walked in and would build up within 10 minutes of closing the window. Lack of extractor fan in the bathroom also causes ventilation issues, although I have found this to be a problem in all Spanish hotels. The second room I stayed in was on the 3rd floor and seemed quiet. There was also no smell. Breakfast is the big disappointment here, as there are no healthy options and it is mainly good for chocolate and jamon lovers. Staff do not really speak English, even the receptionist struggles, and can be anything between helpful, apathetic and abrupt. Overall, there doesn't seem to be a guarantee in standards and booking here involves a fair bit of risk taking. The prospect of noise and a fat breakfast is enough to put me off.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor away from the gym next door.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Location 2 Metro stops from Chamartin - so good for rail connections, breakfast was a bit of a lottery - time it wrong as we did and the staff struggle to keep pace with clean cutlery/china/hot food/coffee - room clean, bed very firm with lack of additional pillow/blankets

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I will not comment location, i think for the price is ok. the room itself,the bathroom is ok, the breakfast also.
My problem is even if they say is free internet wireless and i checked in Friday, today is Tuesday and i still can't use it in my room on 3-rd floor. It works only in the lobby and this is not a solution.
The problem is that the staff doesn't seem to care to much about the problem.
For sure, I write this review from the lobby so thanks ! :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012

For a three star hotel, we found this hotel perfect as a base for touring Madrid and the surrounding areas. At breakfast there was plenty of choice,our room was very clean we found it very quiet during the night, the reception staff were very helpful. The only thing I could fault were the pillows on the bed, they were too flat (but I do love big fluffy pillows) This hotel is not in the centre of Madrid but if you buy a three day tourist ticket it really does not take long to arrive in any part of Madrid. My husband and I would certainly use this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple