“Great Location but poor Customer Service”

Hotel Paseo del Arte
Ranked #127 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Location is excellent, we stayed here for 3 nights to tour Madrid, a few hundred metres from the Atocha metro. It has a very business sterile feel to the hotel. We were on the first floor, lesson learnt as we were next to the Teatro Kapital nightclub and heard all about it on the first night. The rooms could have been cleaned better as looking under the bed upon arrival, there were papers from the previous residents. We had booked directly with the hotel and it said that we were entitled to an upgrade........we were for €60!! In my view this is false advertising, they know who books directly with them and therefore a percentage of these people are likely to request an upgrade. Afterall, it is a 260 room/suite hotel - we visited in September. In addition, we asked for a late checkout, however one would think we were the only people in the hotel who asked for this request. Three times we were asked, one by cleaning and twice by reception on the Sunday morning when we were checking out. Surely they should know this from their manifests??? On checkout we were not asked even if we enjoyed our stay, absolutely nothing. This hotel must survive on its excellent location, business clientele but most definitely in my view, not on its customer service. For the money we paid, it was not good value. We dined outside the hotel. We look forward to returning to Madrid but to a different hotel.

Room Tip: The nightclub is next door so anywhere away from it.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Very good 4 stars hotel near the historical center of Madrid (15 minutes walk from Plazza Mayor). The rooms are nice, big and clean. The staff is efficient and welcoming and since this year the WiFi is free.
The breakfast buffet is really wonderfull. You could find nearly everything available on a buffet !
Most of the rooms are quiet during the night, except maybe the rooms from the lower floors and in front of the Atocha Renfe.
The hotel is near the Atocha station, the metro and since this year, there is also a bus coming directly from the airport to the Atocha station.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for four nights having specified a quiet room, only to find my self in a room next to Teatro Kapital the disco. There was a lot of noise late at night and I was surprised that this hotel had such poor sound proofing. I complained the next day and was put in a much better back room with a fantastic view of the roofs of Madrid including caixa forum. Unfortunately it was a smoking room, but the smell did dissipate quite quickly and did not disturb me and my partner

I ate once at the restaurant, it was a good meal. A blocked drain was cleared within 5 minutes of the complaint..very impressive. Wifi was down for a couple of hours, but otherwise good

I thought this was a great hotel in a great location, I doubt that it will dissappoint,

Room Tip: Avoid being next to the Disco...
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Travel was organized for me so didn't select it myself. During 48 hours stay i was not succesful in making wifi work and no help was available from The hotel. In general, the hotel lacks service minded people and You feel like not really welcome...
On The other hand, The hotel have a good location, close to central Madrid and its sightseeings.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Peer E
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel is on paper an ideal location for travelers. It has a better than average star rating of at least 4 stars, one block from a metro station, free WiFi, and a decent price with normal sized rooms for Europe. Sounds pretty good so far !
Ok, now the truth ! The hotel greets you like the ugly american. Doesn't even mention their Free Wifi has been down for over a week and would stay down for my entire stay of four days. When asked what's wrong and when it may work again , no answer. No one ever offered to help with bags , their breakfast buffet was less than ( really bad) unless you can live on yogurt and toast. If you asked a question they either talked amongst themselves in Spanish ( like I am the problem) because their services don't work as advertised. About a block up the street is Madrids Red Light District( that's not in the description). Overall, this place is a travelers nightmare particularly if you need to be connected to Internet in order to do business. There is a Starbucks, KFC, Dunkin Donuts ! And a MacDonalds about a block away but like most public places the bandwidth is so small it would take an hour just to get thru emails. I immediately tried to get out of this place but it was prepaid and they reminded me of that with their ever present look of disdain for the American.
If you choose to go to this hotel unless you are a native, you are making a big mistake . I booked this thru Cheaptickets and they did everything g humanly possible to help me out. Kudos to my favorite travel agent ! I do not know how money I actually lost between lost business , the cost a Starbucks coffee each time( you have to buy a cup of coffee to get 45 minutes on line. But it was so slow that 45 minutes blows by and you have accomplished nothing. Unfortunately , I cannot think of one nice comment here but I will say the city of Madrid and its people are quite friendly and they obviously have nothing to do with this horrible hotel, so, let the buyer beware ! There are nay nice hotels in the area , I just picked bad but again. The best part of this whole ugly ordeal , Cheaptickets.com listened to my complaints and helped as much as they could. So a special thanks to Cheaptickets and I sincerely hope they remove this hotel from their listings so no one has to go thru this again. Even if Wifi isn't important to you, courtesy and a friendly staff is and should be expected by all . It's terrible to say but I firmly believe they just don't like Americans , the bottom line. Again, no reflection on Spain or Madrid, just a bad hotel in a wonderful city and country !

Room Tip: Free tip, don't even consider this hotel. As far as I am concerned they owe me a dull refund !
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Denniscolligan1
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel has got a lot going for it. It is next door to the night club Kapital, if that is your scene, however, the noise pollution is minimal. It is very near the Prado museum, and a short walk to plaza Mayor, as well as the shopping ares. There are a large number of bars and restaurants near by, from fast food to a bit more swish.

Arriving by train is easy as one of the main stations is about a ten minute walk away. The hotel has a modern hip feel about it in the main entrance, as do the rooms. A small mini bar is in the room. The staff are friendly and helpful. My only gripe is the same one I have with a lot of European hotels, and that is the one of no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, and very few English speaking tv channels. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great location. Pleasant staff. Decent, well cleaned rooms, but there are issues. Wi-fi extremely slow, sometimes timing out before reaching site. Air conditioning doesn't do the job on a real hot day.Refrigerator doesn't really keep anything cold. Access to shower is an adventure and the miniature bar of soap hardly suffices for one day's use for 2 people. Mixed drink at the bar was equivalent of 17 dollars. With a dance club next door, a good night's sleep is very iffy.