“Poor service ... Fine location!”

Hotel Paseo del Arte
Ranked #133 of 443 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Travel was organized for me so didn't select it myself. During 48 hours stay i was not succesful in making wifi work and no help was available from The hotel. In general, the hotel lacks service minded people and You feel like not really welcome...
On The other hand, The hotel have a good location, close to central Madrid and its sightseeings.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Peer E
Write a ReviewReviews (2,044)

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel is on paper an ideal location for travelers. It has a better than average star rating of at least 4 stars, one block from a metro station, free WiFi, and a decent price with normal sized rooms for Europe. Sounds pretty good so far !
Ok, now the truth ! The hotel greets you like the ugly american. Doesn't even mention their Free Wifi has been down for over a week and would stay down for my entire stay of four days. When asked what's wrong and when it may work again , no answer. No one ever offered to help with bags , their breakfast buffet was less than ( really bad) unless you can live on yogurt and toast. If you asked a question they either talked amongst themselves in Spanish ( like I am the problem) because their services don't work as advertised. About a block up the street is Madrids Red Light District( that's not in the description). Overall, this place is a travelers nightmare particularly if you need to be connected to Internet in order to do business. There is a Starbucks, KFC, Dunkin Donuts ! And a MacDonalds about a block away but like most public places the bandwidth is so small it would take an hour just to get thru emails. I immediately tried to get out of this place but it was prepaid and they reminded me of that with their ever present look of disdain for the American.
If you choose to go to this hotel unless you are a native, you are making a big mistake . I booked this thru Cheaptickets and they did everything g humanly possible to help me out. Kudos to my favorite travel agent ! I do not know how money I actually lost between lost business , the cost a Starbucks coffee each time( you have to buy a cup of coffee to get 45 minutes on line. But it was so slow that 45 minutes blows by and you have accomplished nothing. Unfortunately , I cannot think of one nice comment here but I will say the city of Madrid and its people are quite friendly and they obviously have nothing to do with this horrible hotel, so, let the buyer beware ! There are nay nice hotels in the area , I just picked bad but again. The best part of this whole ugly ordeal , Cheaptickets.com listened to my complaints and helped as much as they could. So a special thanks to Cheaptickets and I sincerely hope they remove this hotel from their listings so no one has to go thru this again. Even if Wifi isn't important to you, courtesy and a friendly staff is and should be expected by all . It's terrible to say but I firmly believe they just don't like Americans , the bottom line. Again, no reflection on Spain or Madrid, just a bad hotel in a wonderful city and country !

Room Tip: Free tip, don't even consider this hotel. As far as I am concerned they owe me a dull refund !
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Denniscolligan1
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel has got a lot going for it. It is next door to the night club Kapital, if that is your scene, however, the noise pollution is minimal. It is very near the Prado museum, and a short walk to plaza Mayor, as well as the shopping ares. There are a large number of bars and restaurants near by, from fast food to a bit more swish.

Arriving by train is easy as one of the main stations is about a ten minute walk away. The hotel has a modern hip feel about it in the main entrance, as do the rooms. A small mini bar is in the room. The staff are friendly and helpful. My only gripe is the same one I have with a lot of European hotels, and that is the one of no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, and very few English speaking tv channels. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great location. Pleasant staff. Decent, well cleaned rooms, but there are issues. Wi-fi extremely slow, sometimes timing out before reaching site. Air conditioning doesn't do the job on a real hot day.Refrigerator doesn't really keep anything cold. Access to shower is an adventure and the miniature bar of soap hardly suffices for one day's use for 2 people. Mixed drink at the bar was equivalent of 17 dollars. With a dance club next door, a good night's sleep is very iffy.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I arrived at Estacion de Atocha by AVE 5171 from Valencia. The hotel is located a few minutes walk from the station. I stayed here for two nights. This is a very convenient hotel, because I could visit almost all sightseeing spots on foot, such as Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Museo Nacional del Prado, Puerta del Sol and so on. This is four-star hotel and the status is almost the same as the hotel of Barcelona (four-star hotel). But the accommodation fee was almost 60% and still 20% cheaper than that of the hotel of Valencia (three-star hotel) where though breakfast was included. I thought it was very reasonable and recommendable. In the morning when I checked out, I walked to the bus stop of the airport bus just in front of the station, and from Barajas airport I flied to Bilbao.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The not-so-great:
Our host assisted us with check-in and the rooms were confirmed to be reserved and paid for under his credit card (I was standing there when this conversation took place). When checking out, the front desk told each of us that we had to pay and that we were incorrect. Sigh. 20 minutes later it was finally straightened out.
We had to leave in the wee hours and I asked for a take away coffee (Dunkin Donuts wasn't open yet), and was informed that they couldn't do that. I could sit in the lobby and have a cup of coffee...for 2.50 €. A cup.
Finally, the internet went out the last afternoon...not usually a big deal for me but this was a business trip. Informed the front desk and they said they knew and were working on it. The next morning, still no internet and the front desk had no clue what I was talking about.

The pretty good:
The rooms. Loved my king bed, bath tub, spacious bathroom, and cleanliness of everything.
The location. Everyone on here is right. AMAZING location. By museums, the botanical garden, tons of shopping and a few quick steps to the Atocha metro stop. and not one, but TWO Dunkin Donuts.
Even though there were 'issues' I also felt the staff was decent.

I would stay again but for pleasure.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor and it was pretty quiet...room 101. Nice, non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The location, next to the station and the art galleries, is this hotel's only redeeming feature. Other than that, it is just your average business hotel. Not too sure the four star rating is accurate, but then I never have understood the rather arbitrary Spanish hotel rating system.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple