Best of this hotel: location and shower. The hotel is located in the (extended) center of Madrid, part of the historical area. No need to use public transportation to see the highlights. Bars, restaurants and shopping everywhere around. The bathroom is relatively large and offers a great shower experience.
We arrived late and were swiftly and friendly welcomed by the night clerk, after ringing the bell. As part of the registration form, that was given to us, we had to declare that the hotel could / would use and sell to third parties our personal data. Even the data that was collected through Expedia (and other online travel agencies) could / would be sold. Please be aware, don’t sign and return, you can opt-out.
Upon check-in you are asked how many devices you would like to connect to the Wi-Fi and you are given enough codes to open the Wi-Fi connection on every machine you bring. That is just great service! The Wi-Fi is free of charge and offered acceptable speed for browsing. Free Wi-Fi was one of the selection criteria when I selected this hotel and it worked out more than perfect.
You’ll carry your own suitcases to the room and can use an elevator to reach your assigned floor. Room 507 looks fine at first glance. However we found the laundry bag of a previous guest in the closet. Moreover two lights in the room, around the bed area, were broken. There was enough lighting left in the room to read however. Maintenance wise: the wallpaper and furniture in the room show that the room has been used intensively over the years. However the bathroom of a good size makes up or any of the inconveniences above. The shower is great: hand, head and side showers can work simultaneously with good pressure and any water you might spill quickly vaporizes from the heated floor tiles. Bathroom amenities like soap, body, shampoo, comb and shoeshine are arranged for use next to the washing basin. The towels are thick, bright and soft, come with the hotel name and resemble Egyptian cotton quality.
The room comes with a laptop at the working desk, however this is an XP operated, Centrino processor laptop. If the hotel cares to offer a computer they should offer a real one or take it out, nice perhaps a decade ago now it is only taking up space on the working desk. However the machine was connected with a Lan cable, did not try it myself but it might give you the benefits from wired internet? Inside the room there are plenty of free electricity sockets so you can charge all your devices at the same time. The laptop safe is big enough for 18’ widescreen devices, and the minibar has space left to put in some additional water you might bring from the street (the tapwater comes with a chloride taste). The street facing room, with French balcony style windows, was perfectly isolated from street noise. Blinding curtains block sunlight effectively into the room, air-condition and heating reacted exceptionally fast to user input.
Staff during the night is friendly and smiles every time you pass. The reception staff during the day seemed less attentive. Overall the maintenance of the building in general could be a little better, especially the furniture. Nothing major and surely acceptable considering the value level of a property in this location. Upon departure the bill was settled correctly, without hidden charges and luggage was stored secured, for free, until picked up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel Petit Palace San Bernardo Royal Opera is located in the centre of the city, in an emblematic building in the well known “Santo Domingo” Plaza, next to the “Gran Via” – the main and most commercial street in Madrid. At just a few minutes away, the famous “Puerta del Sol” which is the centre point of the historic and monumental area of Madrid can be found and which is also good starting point to visit all the major tourist sights of the city.All the rooms in the hotel have been accommodated with the latest in technological advances, such as; laptops and free WIFI, hydro-massage showers, modern designer furniture, free safety boxes, flat screen TV’s with international channels to name but a few…Rooms are available with twin or double beds, for individual travellers or couples, and also for families or groups of friends in our exclusive “Family Rooms” with capacity of up to for people.Take advantage of our free coffee service and our two free internet points, found in the reception area, and our free bike rent to get to know the city in a unique and original way!Ask our friendly staff for advice on the best shopping and dining areas, and for reservations for local excursions and shows. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you are travelling with your pet or have any other special requests – we will do our best to assure that your stay is a pleasant and comfortable as possible! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Travelocity, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Petit Palace Plaza Espana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Petit Palace San Bernardo Hotel Madrid
- Petit Palace San Bernardo Madrid